Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
What relatively modern music will stand the test of time?
Topic Started: Jan 3 2018, 11:24 AM (326 Views)
Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
Was just listening to this again. Recorded in 1971, it is just as fresh and compelling today, 47 years later. I wonder what of today's pop music will stand over time.

Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
A hundred years from now, it would certainly be interesting to know what survived.

I find a lot of kids today listen to a good bit of the stuff I listened to in the 70's and 80's.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

xenon
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
It's an interesting question. A lot of pop music these days does seem to be made to exploit cognitive processes that make things register as "catchy"

Now whether this also inherently comes at the expense of qualities that give music longevity - TBD.

Also - there seems to be a movement towards a greater proliferation of genres with digital platforms and less megastars - but this is probably me extrapolating from personal experience.

Axtremus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
I'll be happy to know whether Broadway music will stand the test of time (however that ends being quantified) better than Bollywood music.

I think I can safely discount the Asian K-Pop, J-Pop, C-Pop and such just because I don't really hear much difference that sets them apart from American-Western-European pop music -- just doing largely the same thing with different languages. But Bollywood, to my ears, got its own distinct style.

Mark
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Mikhailoh
Jan 3 2018, 11:24 AM
Was just listening to this again. Recorded in 1971, it is just as fresh and compelling today, 47 years later. I wonder what of today's pop music will stand over time.

All of their music up to and including Wind and Wuthering is nothing short of modern classical music. It will stand the test of time.

I am currently learning the song Time Table from Foxtrot, as arranged for piano by David Myers, former keyboardist for "The Musical Box"

It's a brutal piece to learn. :help: I put it right up there with the composers of old as far as difficulty in learning and having the skill set to even try to pull it off.

It is only 9 pages long. One of the shorter pieces in his two volume work. The Cinema Show is 24 pages long. ;)
___.___
(_]===*
o 0
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells

Mark
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
My daughter bought Nursery Cryme on original 1970s vinyl a couple of months back. My children were listening to that album in the womb.
___.___
(_]===*
o 0
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Axtremus
Jan 3 2018, 11:48 AM
I'll be happy to know whether Broadway music will stand the test of time (however that ends being quantified) better than Bollywood music.

I think I can safely discount the Asian K-Pop, J-Pop, C-Pop and such just because I don't really hear much difference that sets them apart from American-Western-European pop music -- just doing largely the same thing with different languages. But Bollywood, to my ears, got its own distinct style.
Does bollywood music stand on its own, or does it need the theater/movie stuff to go along with it?

Maybe the whole of bollywood musicals will stand the test of time, but it will be inevitably more difficult to experience it, since it involves all your attention. Music alone can be multitasked.
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?

xenon
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
Bollywood music is a commercial engine that sits atop an extremely rich and deep musical history drawing on many parts of the subcontinent. Music is deeply ingrained into culture in some unique ways there - there are even some classes of folks whose family vocation is be musicians (going back generations for literally hundreds of years).

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Mikhailoh
I think a lot of it won't, but for a reason other than the typical Sturgeon's Law defense.

Just watched a Bruce Dickenson interview on YouTube because, well, I was bored. He said one of the biggest reasons why Iron Maiden blew up so much was because at the time of their starting out, there was no clearly defined "heavy metal" genre. Bands like Maiden, Motorhead and a few others were making it up as they went. And it was new, and cool, so people liked it. But now, metal's a known Thing, and people have expectations for what that sound should be. So if you brand yourself as metal and try to play outside the box the genre has defined for itself, people are underwhelmed. They want what they already expect.

Commercialized creative endeavors are way too siloed now. By the rules of the game, you have to sound too much like everybody else just to get a start. And nothing timeless comes out of that.
I cite irreconcilable differences.

bachophile
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
The Beatles of course.
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
Mikhailoh

Damn. That's the whitest thing I've ever heard....
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
Bach is correct. The Beatles catalog will be around for a long, long time.
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
Larry
Jan 3 2018, 12:57 PM
Mikhailoh

Damn. That's the whitest thing I've ever heard....
Well, hell, Larry, there aren't too damn many injun composers. :lol2:
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
In 100 years, talent will no longer exist, and music will consist of three second samples taken from old CD's randomly chosen by a computer, then looped, with some guy who can barely speak english saying "yo" every so often.
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
So we'll go from hip-hop to yoyo?

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
Mikhailoh
Jan 3 2018, 01:27 PM
Well, hell, Larry, there aren't too damn many injun composers. :lol2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9YxwkkIp1A

hahahahaha
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
Mikhailoh
Jan 3 2018, 01:30 PM
So we'll go from hip-hop to yoyo?
Yup yup......
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
I think we are already at yoyo. There are an awful lot of them out there, anyway.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Yoko Ono's music has withstood the test of time, of course...

But seriously, look at what was popular (at least popular that we know today) 100 years ago:

John Phillip Sousa
Scott Joplin

Who are the Sousas and Joplins of today?

Also, remember, the Beatles started half a century ago.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

I'd rather listen to an hour of Abba than an hour of The Beatles.
- Klaus, 4/29/18

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
Somewhere in the distant future, when the popular music of the day has no rhythm, no rhyme, no discernable words, and no one is actually playing an instrument...

someone will stumble across an CD of the following music, and wonder in amazement that humans were capable of creating such a masterpiece as this (on the album there is no gap of silence between the two songs. they're done as one):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSYyRf7FCsM
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
Depending on your speaker system, you may or may not be able to hear through the phenomenal drumming, the incredible bass line. If you can hear that bass line, try to imagine your fingers moving that fast.....
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Did Larry just come out to us about what he's actually done?
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
:cloak:
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
Ok.... listen to the album recording of this song. Notice the synths beginning at 3:39. There are 3 synths being played, 2 are linked together. You can hear one playing a high lead (ARP 2600) with a second one following along about 4 octaves below it (Minimoog)... even though on the album cover it says it's a Korg.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZrF76MuF0w

Now listen to it being performed live. Notice something missing? The synths. Even though on the album cover it credits the singer with playing the synth parts. If the singer played the synth parts, why doesn't he play those parts live? heh....... notice also that the lead guitarist can't play the part that's on the album, the bass player can't play the bass part played on the album, the keyboard player can't play the part that's on the album.. he sounds like some guy playing for tips in a Holiday Inn lounge..no way he played those parts on the album... hell, the band can just barely play the song that's on the album....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsiNHxIH7EY

Somebody else is on that album. But I don't know who that might be......

:baby:
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
Vanelliís albums were awesome. Never saw him.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: