Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
And the next contestant on Wheel of Abuse? AL FRANKEN!
Topic Started: Nov 16 2017, 08:36 AM (2,592 Views)
George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Posted Image
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

I'd rather listen to an hour of Abba than an hour of The Beatles.
- Klaus, 4/29/18
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Davis
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
George K
Dec 2 2017, 08:12 AM
Posted Image
:lol2:

To think how disgraceful Christie was deemed to be compared to what is going on now. :lol2: :lol2:

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
You owe me a new iPad, George.
Liszt Godowsky jon-nyc Rachmaninoff Hamelin
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
http://ktla.com/2017/11/30/infamous-al-franken-groping-photo-shows-up-on-billboard-in-palms/

The leering likeness of Sen. Al Franken grabbing at a woman loomed over morning commuters on the 10 Freeway through Palms on Thursday.

A conservative street art collective has claimed responsibility for transposing the image over an existing billboard for the film "The Greatest Showman" that stands outside a Mobile gas station at the intersection of Overland Avenue and National Boulevard, just off the freeway.

Franken appears to emerge from the right side of the billboard, leaning across to grab a trapeze artist suspended in mid-air, portrayed by the actress Zendaya. (On the other side of the road, a billboard features her costar Zac Efron reaching out to catch her, photos obtained by the Hollywood Reporter show.)

Posted Image

- Mik, 6/14/08

- Klaus, 4/29/18

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
:lol2:
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

Well done.
The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

brenda
Member Avatar
A meme is born!
“Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
~A.A. Milne

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
I’m actually skeptical about Fanken’s latest accuser.

I was with her until I got to the art about Franken saying ‘It’s my right as an entertainer’.

I’m calling bullsh1t on that.

But I’m obviously not upset it seems to have tipped the balance against him.

Note also this is the first allegation he has denied
Liszt Godowsky jon-nyc Rachmaninoff Hamelin

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
The dam breaks:

Quote:

More than a dozen Senate Democrats called Wednesday for Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.) to resign amid mounting allegations of sexual harassment, raising the possibility he will become the second lawmaker to step aside over recent accusations of inappropriate behavior.

In a campaign started by Democratic women, senators said Franken should leave Capitol Hill. Franken faces multiple accusations of inappropriate touching and unwanted advances. He has denied intentional wrongdoing and has apologized.

“Enough is enough,” Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) told reporters at a news conference. “We need to draw a line in the sand and say none of it is okay, none of it is acceptable. We as elected leaders should absolutely be held to a higher standard, not a lower standard, and we should fundamentally be valuing women. That is where this debate has to go.”
Quote:

UPDATE: 22 Democratic senators have called on Sen. Franken to resign:

Gillibrand
Hirono
McCaskill
Hassan
Harris
Murray
Baldwin
Casey
Donnelly
Brown
Stabenow
Markey
Heitkamp
Bennet
Durbin
Cantwell
Feinstein
Heinrich
Merkley
Leahy
Wyden
Carper

- Mik, 6/14/08

- Klaus, 4/29/18

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop
Lynch mob
The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
Copper
Dec 6 2017, 11:13 AM
Lynch mob
I didn't know Loretta still had that kind of pull.
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.

ivorythumper
Member Avatar
I am so adjective that I verb nouns!
Good riddance.
The dogma lives loudly within me.

Rainman
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Trump is, or soon will be, next.

At least that's what some are coming up with, given the "why now all of a sudden" question.

I feel a bit sorry for Franken. He is/was such an unreasonable but loud mouthpiece. Now, he's like the shaggy dog that can't understand why he's in trouble for crappping all over the living room carpet.

Next job? "Welcome to Walmart -- vegan foods and soy products to your left..."

ivorythumper
Member Avatar
I am so adjective that I verb nouns!
ivorythumper
Dec 6 2017, 03:35 PM
or maybe not....
The dogma lives loudly within me.

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

I've never had much use for Mr. Franken as a comedian and even less as a politician.

But the lack of due process can not stand, it just can't.

It is uneven and unfair and just plain wrong.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Copper
Dec 6 2017, 06:07 PM
I've never had much use for Mr. Franken as a comedian and even less as a politician.

But the lack of due process can not stand, it just can't.

It is uneven and unfair and just plain wrong.

If a congressman were accused of some other form of corruption (taking bribes, eg) would he be held to a higher standard than Franken and Conyers?

It's not that I doubt the women who have told their story. It's that the standard seems to be different when (sit down) it involves teh wimmenz sex.

I suppose the case can be made that it's more difficult to prove the kinds of things that Conyers and Franken were accused of (no paper trail, etc other than photographs) than with corruption.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- Klaus, 4/29/18

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
It's just grandstanding by Dems, and it has not a thing to do with ethics. It has to do with Roy Moore. They think maybe if they get rid of Conyers and Franken they can apply pressure to dump Moore. It costs them nothing because Conyers and Franken will both be replaced by Democrats. But if they can eliminate Moore they prevent 61 GOP senators.

Cynical ploy as always.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Mikhailoh
Dec 6 2017, 06:13 PM
It has to do with Roy Moore. They think maybe if they get rid of Conyers and Franken they can apply pressure to dump Moore.
Noticed that, did you?

Interesting that it all happened (quelle surprise!) on the same day.

Why, it's almost like someone told them to say that.

(Insert HL Mencken post about funerals here:______________________)

- Mik, 6/14/08

- Klaus, 4/29/18

taiwan_girl
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Mikhailoh
Dec 6 2017, 06:13 PM
It's just grandstanding by Dems, and it has not a thing to do with ethics. It has to do with Roy Moore. They think maybe if they get rid of Conyers and Franken they can apply pressure to dump Moore. It costs them nothing because Conyers and Franken will both be replaced by Democrats. But if they can eliminate Moore they prevent 61 GOP senators.

Cynical ploy as always.
Unfortunately, there is probably some truth in your saying. :( Unfortunate that politics is like this.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
OK - let's say Moore wins (and he very well might). The Senate can vote to remove him (I think).

If the Senate does that, how does the next Senator from Alabama get to DC? Special election.

What are the odds that a Democrat would win another special election?

- Mik, 6/14/08

- Klaus, 4/29/18

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
They can but they won't. And I agree about the due process. It is a huge, huge problem with these accusations. We haven't seen this kind of witch
hunt since McCarthy.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
So, Al Franken announced his sort-of resignation today. He says he'll be stepping down "in the next weeks." What do you think the odds are that he's waiting to see if Moore wins in Alabama and then uses that as leverage to stay, hoping that, by that time, all the outrage will have blown over?

- Mik, 6/14/08

- Klaus, 4/29/18

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
As I said earlier... it has nothing to do with ethics. Far from it.

Axtremus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Mikhailoh
Dec 7 2017, 10:54 AM
It is about ethics as soon as the voters make it about ethics.
Franken or Moore's (or any else's) guilt and/or innocence is what it is regardless of who wins the Alabama election.

Davis
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
Axtremus
Dec 7 2017, 11:34 AM
Mikhailoh
Dec 7 2017, 10:54 AM
It is about ethics as soon as the voters make it about ethics.
Franken or Moore's (or any else's) guilt and/or innocence is what it is regardless of who wins the Alabama election.
It's about control of seats. You want a real test of ethics, delay the alabama election long enough so that a GOP candidate can be voted on and see what would happen to Moore.

What Moore did should not by definition change the composition of the Senate.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: