Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The hands of a cook.
Topic Started: Oct 12 2017, 04:59 PM (114 Views)
Jolly
Member Avatar
The Truth is out there.
Just because the ingredients are the same, different folks achieve different results. I was thinking back on people I knew as a kid or a bit later in life, people who were known for something simple, but just better than anybody else's.

Aunt Martha's quail & dressing, Aunt Leah's peanut brittle, Miss Addie's yeast bread, Sister Sylvia's chicken & dumplings. My Grandpa Jolly's popcorn balls...The ones bigger than your fist, made with ribbon cane syrup and fresh hickory nuts.

Grandma Jolly has been dead 30 years, but I still have people ask me about her teacake recipe. I tell them I've got it, but it won't do any good. Many people have tried and nobody has come close...Big as a biscuit, texture of a cookie and made with whatever she could scrap up.

Uncle Houston's biscuits, baked in an ancient Dutch oven, usually by the coals of a winter fire, down on Newell's Ridge in the swamp.

My other grandmother's fried chicken, started in cold grease. You think it would be a greasy mess, but it was wonderful. Aunt Merle's pancakes, the kind that covered a full twelve inch, cast iron skillet...Took a grown man or a half-starved boy to make it through two of those.

Miss Filipi's kolaches. My, that little Czech lady could cook. Worth dating her granddaughter just to eat at her house.

My Mama's corn bread. Had to have home growed, stone ground meal. Fresh yard eggs, pinch of salt and sugar. Would cook it in a le creuset skillet on the top of the stove with a bit of bacon grease, until she got her crust set and then to the oven it went. Never burnt, but the crust had a snap to it. Many Sunday nights, supper was a hot piece of cornbread in a bowl of cold milk. A lot of folks said they'd rather have Mama's cornbread than some other woman's cake.

Those are a few of the things I remember. Have you known someone who cooked the simple things, but did an extraordinary job on something that was better than anybody else's efforts?
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Never privileged to have encountered remarkably good home cooking, other than at times from myself, and only then because I know my tastes so well.
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop
Jolly
Oct 12 2017, 04:59 PM

Grandma Jolly has been dead 30 years, but I still have people ask me about her teacake recipe. I tell them I've got it, but it won't do any good. Many people have tried and nobody has come close...Big as a biscuit, texture of a cookie and made with whatever she could scrap up.

My mother's mother has been gone 32 years.

Nobody can duplicate her apple sauce, chocolate chip cookies, mashed potatoes and many more. She was the best cook, even the stringbean and carrots were something special.

Growing up, we were lucky to be able to eat dinner at her house every Sunday.

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
This thread makes me sad.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

Given the way acetaminophen and alcohol donít mix, I havenít kept a bottle of Tylenol anywhere in the house for years.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
My mother in law, who curiously enough is intimidated by my restaurant style stuff. She is a real cook. Runs circles around me. Or she did anyway. Deteriorating quickly.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball

Jolly
Member Avatar
The Truth is out there.
George K
Oct 12 2017, 06:27 PM
? :confused:
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Jolly
Member Avatar
The Truth is out there.
Mikhailoh
Oct 12 2017, 06:31 PM
My mother in law, who curiously enough is intimidated by my restaurant style stuff. She is a real cook. Runs circles around me. Or she did anyway. Deteriorating quickly.
What was your favorite?

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Jolly
Oct 12 2017, 06:33 PM
George K
I miss stuff I ate when I was a kid.

- Mik, 6/14/08

Given the way acetaminophen and alcohol donít mix, I havenít kept a bottle of Tylenol anywhere in the house for years.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
Jolly
Oct 12 2017, 06:34 PM
Mikhailoh
Oct 12 2017, 06:31 PM
What was your favorite?
Chicken noodle casserole. Beef and noodles, all homemade noodles, any of her pies, jello pretzel salad, the only sweet sweet potato dish I ever loved...the list is endless.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball

Jolly
Member Avatar
The Truth is out there.
Copper
Oct 12 2017, 06:25 PM
Jolly
Oct 12 2017, 04:59 PM

My mother's mother has been gone 32 years.

Nobody can duplicate her apple sauce, chocolate chip cookies, mashed potatoes and many more. She was the best cook, even the stringbean and carrots were something special.

Growing up, we were lucky to be able to eat dinner at her house every Sunday.

Was always a big deal deciding which grandmother's house we went to for Sunday dinner (that's lunch for the rest of y'all). Mawmaw Middleton was gonna have chicken of some sort...Sunday never varied (Friday and Saturday suppers, too, but that's another story). Her fried chicken was outstanding, the rest was ok. She made a heckuva dark chocolate pie or banana pudding.

Grandma Jolly always had too much food to fit on the table. Daddy's parents didn't have a whole lot, but it was a point of pride with Grandpa that they ate well. Usually had both cornbread and biscuits for Sundays, and the meat might be anything, but it was usually freshly killed...Blackbird or Gross Bec gumbo, rabbit and gravy, pork roast. Vegetables were always something they had raised. Dessert was usually a cobbler of some kind with fresh jersey cow cream or Grandma would have a coconut cake, since that was Daddy's favorite.

We'd have to swap out, since wherever you didn't go...Well, they got their feathers ruffled a mite.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Jolly
Oct 12 2017, 06:34 PM
What was your favorite?
https://myfoododyssey.com/2014/04/09/lithuanian-koldunai-dumplings-recipe/

- Mik, 6/14/08

Jolly
Member Avatar
The Truth is out there.
George K
Oct 12 2017, 06:35 PM
Jolly
Oct 12 2017, 06:33 PM
George K
I miss stuff I ate when I was a kid.
You ain't dead yet, you know.

I bet you could scour up a family recipe or two. Wonder if the kids might want to drop by and try some of them out with you? Might be fun...

Jolly
Member Avatar
The Truth is out there.
George K
Oct 12 2017, 06:49 PM
That looks like some good groceries. I can see why anybody would miss that!

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
The thing I liked most that I never get to go to any more is when the local churches would have "covered dish" get togethers. All the women in the church would cook their signature dish, the things they were known for, and they'd put every ounce of pride they had into it. Then you got to go down the row of tables lined full of different things to eat, with your paper plate... and sample as much as you could until you popped.

I loved that.
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jolly
Member Avatar
The Truth is out there.
Larry
Oct 12 2017, 08:46 PM
The thing I liked most that I never get to go to any more is when the local churches would have "covered dish" get togethers. All the women in the church would cook their signature dish, the things they were known for, and they'd put every ounce of pride they had into it. Then you got to go down the row of tables lined full of different things to eat, with your paper plate... and sample as much as you could until you popped.

I loved that.
Still done down here.

One of my favorites is a little church about five miles from the house. Services are no longer held there, but once a year they have a homecoming service with the offering dedicated to maintaining the cemetery. After church, they have dinner on the ground, just like in the old days.

The wife took two 48qt coolers full of food.

My other favorite is an old Baptist Church down on Bayou des Glaise. Little church doesn't have but about 30 members, but homecoming brings in a crowd of a hundred or more. The church is smack dab in the middle of a farming community and those people can cook. Used to eat out under the huge live oaks in the church cemetery, but they've gotten fancy and eat in the air conditioning now.

Good memories.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
That is still done in MFR's home town, especially for funerals. Casserole heaven. So good you wish for someone to die.

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply