Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Cashless China
Topic Started: Oct 12 2017, 04:48 AM (74 Views)
Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
The Bengals are better with Marvin Lewis than without him.
CBS had an interesting piece on it this morning. It's all about the phone. You can watch it here.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/918457354932416512
"Those people aren't good for you. They're not people who are on your side when the times are tough. That's the way it works." - Marvin Lewis
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jolly
Member Avatar
Veni, vidi, vici
And when the power goes out?
“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” - Heinlein

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Jolly
Oct 12 2017, 05:07 AM
And when the power goes out?
Or your battery dies.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics." Thomas Sowell

xenon
Member Avatar
Junior Carp
I think this is definitely the future. I haven't used cash more than 5x per year for the last several years. I carry a couple of 50's around with me, just in case, but never use them.

I remember 1 time apple pay not working in the last year or so - used my physical card then. (disclaimer - I'm a 'millennial' living in San Francisco)

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
A society without some form of cash scares me. Being able to pay should also work in scenarios where technology breaks down. And, more importantly, it is a form of freedom that a government cannot take away easily, such as anonymous payment. Or fiscal policy - once cash is gone, it will only take a few years at best before some politician will propose and implement highly negative interest rates.
Attempto!

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
The Bengals are better with Marvin Lewis than without him.
Me too, Klaus.
"Those people aren't good for you. They're not people who are on your side when the times are tough. That's the way it works." - Marvin Lewis

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop
Klaus
Oct 12 2017, 07:56 AM
A society without some form of cash scares me.

There is a concept of digital cash that is different from just using a credit card or cell phone.

Digital Cash or Digital Currency is in theory just as anonymous as cash. And Digital Currency is also not the same as Virtual Currency.

I have been told that Digital Currency is something that has a future in under-developed locations where banks do not exist. There are large populations in India, China and Indonesia where this might apply. My understanding is that this industry is still somewhat of a wild-west show.

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply