Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
$46,844
Topic Started: Oct 12 2017, 01:20 AM (200 Views)
Jolly
Member Avatar
The Truth is out there.
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/us-pickup-truck-buyers-demanding-luxury-50430822
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Wow. People waste so much money on vehicles.

Jolly
Member Avatar
The Truth is out there.
jon-nyc
Oct 12 2017, 04:04 AM
Wow. People waste so much money on vehicles.
I agree. Those types of pickups are very nice and ride great, but that's not what I envision as the need for a pickup.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Jolly
Member Avatar
The Truth is out there.
Another observation...sometimes riding down the road, I'll tune in to Dave Ramsey for awhile. Most of the people who are in financial difficulty have three problem areas:

1. They have overbought and overfinanced on a home.
2. Same for a vehicle or vehicles.
3. Credit card debt.

Much of the time, the killer is #2.

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Yeah, it goes beyond trucks. People focus on whether they can make the payment, rather than the cost.

I've told this story before, first new car I ever bought was a 1994 Nissan Maxima. I was 25 maybe. My boss at the time (who I just hung out with in Vegas last week) bought a new Altima, the cheaper model down in Nissans lineup. He told me they wanted a Maxima but couldn't afford it. He had a young kid, but probably made twice what I did at the time.

When he said he couldn't afford it, he meant couldn't write a check for it.

That was quite a teaching moment for me.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
I don't understand the fascination with pickup trucks. In rural or semi-rural areas, there's no question of their utility. I get how tradespeople will find them practical as well.

But, sitting in a driveway in suburban America?

Why?

How often are you going to need that long bed for hauling stuff? Once a year? Twice?

You're better off with a large trunk and a fold-down rear seat. Otherwise go to U-Haul and for $19.95 rent a van.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

Given the way acetaminophen and alcohol donít mix, I havenít kept a bottle of Tylenol anywhere in the house for years.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
I cannot imagine having a truck so nice that I was overly worried about using it as a truck. I bought my 2000 Ram new for $16K.

Have been regretting selling it, by the way.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Mikhailoh
Oct 12 2017, 04:17 AM
I cannot imagine having a truck so nice that I was overly worried about using it as a truck. I bought my 2000 Ram new for $16K.

Have been regretting selling it, by the way.
Posted Image
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

Given the way acetaminophen and alcohol donít mix, I havenít kept a bottle of Tylenol anywhere in the house for years.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
I could do a little better than that if I waited for the right deal - maybe $19K.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball

Jolly
Member Avatar
The Truth is out there.
Mikhailoh
Oct 12 2017, 04:27 AM
I could do a little better than that if I waited for the right deal - maybe $19K.
Have you been shopping lately? :hair:

Improviso
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
George K
Oct 12 2017, 04:16 AM
I don't understand the fascination with pickup trucks.
I don't either. You go on vacation, throw all your stuff back in the bed, it rains on the way and all your stuff gets soaked. It's happened 2 years in a row to my son in law.

I pack all my stuff in the back of my Expedition where it stays nice and dry. When I need to haul stuff, I hook up my 5 X 10 foot utility trailer. Refrigerators, water heaters, wood, mulch, dirt, gravel... it handles everything a truck would. And I don't get the SUV all grody.
Identifying narcissists isn't difficult. Just look for the person who is constantly fishing for compliments
and admiration while breaking down over even the slightest bit of criticism.

We have the freedom to choose our actions, but we do not get to choose our consequences.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
Your expedition is a pickup truck. They just put a shell on the back.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
Jolly
Oct 12 2017, 05:10 AM
Mikhailoh
No, I haven't. But I am talking base model.

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
I rarely buy new. It's too easy to find vehicles that have very low mileage on them for half the price of a new one. My wife's Cadillac would have cost almost 80K new, I paid a little over 30K for it, and it still smelled new. Not a flaw on it or in it, and the mileage was just barely over 20,000 miles.

When I bought Pie Wagon 3, it was because Mik was talking about Dodge Rams and I'd never driven one. I was planning to buy my mother a new(er) minivan anyway, so I decided to just go look. I found her a two year old Chrysler Town and Country minivan that had about 12K miles on it which brand new had been a little over 40K. They were asking 25K for it. I wasn't willing to pay that for it, so while I pondered what my offer would be I went over and looked at the trucks and there sat Pie Wagon 3... it had listed for a little over 60K new, was a couple of years old with I think 29K miles on it as I remember.. the salesman just kept pushing because he wanted to sell two at once I guess, so I shot him a price - 22K for the two of them, cash money, right now. After a few attempts by his sales manager to get the price up and failing, they finally agreed to accept the offer.

My car is a 2011 Lincoln Town Car, which I bought in 2014 with around mid 20K miles. It had listed new for just over 50K, I paid around 25K for it.

Now - if you want to be hit with sticker shock, check the prices of a new John Deere 957 tractor......
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Improviso
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Mikhailoh
Oct 12 2017, 05:33 AM
Your expedition is a pickup truck. They just put a shell on the back.
True... it's built on an F150 frame.

But my stuff stays dry and it's seats 8 people. :whome:
Identifying narcissists isn't difficult. Just look for the person who is constantly fishing for compliments

We have the freedom to choose our actions, but we do not get to choose our consequences.

Jolly
Member Avatar
The Truth is out there.
Mikhailoh
Oct 12 2017, 05:35 AM
Jolly
Oct 12 2017, 05:10 AM
Mikhailoh
No, I haven't. But I am talking base model.
Do a little shopping....

Improviso
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
And while Kenny isn't here anymore and I don't talk about it much, I still have the 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid. 153,000+ miles on it and still going strong. Oil changes and tires are the only maintenance it has required in 13 years. I'll drive it till it has to be hauled away.

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

Paid $18,844.87 cash in 2001 - 16 years this month, best car ever.

I can load up 7 basketball players (many years ago) or the old refrigerator, still going strong.

Posted Image
The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
We're thinking about this for Tina, what do you folks think?
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Horace
Oct 12 2017, 08:57 AM
We're thinking about this for Tina, what do you folks think?
It looks fun.

Will it hold an infant seat?

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Sure, why not?
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?

Axtremus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
George K
Oct 12 2017, 04:16 AM
I don't understand the fascination with pickup trucks. In rural or semi-rural areas, there's no question of their utility. I get how tradespeople will find them practical as well.

But, sitting in a driveway in suburban America?

Why?
Hey Brenda, what do you use your pickup truck for, and how often you use it for such purposes? :silly:

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
Horace
Oct 12 2017, 09:00 AM
Sure, why not?
IF you plan to have children in the near future you definitely do not want a coupe. You want a sedan. Trust me on this. BUT.. if this is not imminent? I'd grab it. That's a super price.

Jolly
Member Avatar
The Truth is out there.
Mikhailoh
Oct 12 2017, 09:49 AM
Horace
Oct 12 2017, 09:00 AM
Sure, why not?
IF you plan to have children in the near future you definitely do not want a coupe. You want a sedan. Trust me on this. BUT.. if this is not imminent? I'd grab it. That's a super price.
EXACTLY what he said.

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply