Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Boy Scouts Will Admit Girls, Allow Them to Earn Eagle Scout Rank
Topic Started: Oct 11 2017, 06:26 PM (235 Views)
Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

Swell

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/boy-scouts-will-admit-girls-allow-them-earn-eagle-scout-n809836

Quote:

Boy Scouts Will Admit Girls, Allow Them to Earn Eagle Scout Rank

The Boy Scouts of America announced on Wednesday that girls will soon be allowed to become Cub Scouts and to earn the coveted rank of Eagle Scout, the organizationís highest honor.

"We believe it is critical to evolve how our programs meet the needs of families interested in positive and lifelong experiences for their children," said Michael Surbaugh, chief executive of the Boy Scouts.

The scouting board of directors voted unanimously to make the historic change in an organization that has been primarily for boys since its founding more than 100 years ago.

Starting next year, young girls can join Cub Scout units, known as dens. Local scouting organizations can choose to have dens for girls and dens for boys. "Cub Scout dens will be single-gender ó all boys or all girls," the organization said in a statement.

A separate program for older girls will be available in 2019, the Boy Scouts said, enabling them to earn the rank of Eagle Scout.

The Boy Scouts said the moves reflect the changing nature of American life, adding to the appeal of a scouting program that can serve the entire family.

BSA said it commissioned two nationwide surveys that showed parents not involved in scouting had high interest in getting their daughters signed up for both Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts.

Girls are now part of four scouting programs ó Venturing and Sea Scouting, geared toward outdoor activities; Exploring, a career-oriented mentoring program; and STEM, focusing on science and math. But those programs have not offered a path to Eagle Scout for girls.

Earlier this year, the National Organization for Women urged the Boy Scouts to admit girls to the entire program, supporting the efforts of a New York teenager, Sydney Ireland, to attain the rank of Eagle Scout, as her older brother did.

"I just want to do what the Boy Scouts do ó earn the merit badges and earn the Eagle Award," she told NBC News. "The Girl Scouts is a great organization, but it's just not the program that I want to be part of. I think girls should just have the opportunity to be a member of any organization they want regardless of gender."

In the past, the Girl Scouts have been cool to the idea of admitting girls into the Boy Scouts, citing research that showed many girls learn best in an all-female environment.

"We are unparalleled in our ability to build great female leaders who contribute to society at every level," said Andrea Bastiani Archibald, a psychologist who helps guide the Girl Scouts.

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
They'll have to change the name.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

Given the way acetaminophen and alcohol donít mix, I havenít kept a bottle of Tylenol anywhere in the house for years.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
FFS
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rainman
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Mikhailoh
Oct 11 2017, 06:34 PM
FFS
Mik, that's a good idea for a new name.

But I don't think that's exactly where George was going.

Rainman
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp

Why not just add to what's available, instead of changing what was successful for so many years.

Keep Boy Scouts.

Add the new co-ed groups, "Girly Boy Scouts."

Offer the choice, let people decide.

Oh, I forgot. People are not supposed to be able to decide. The decision is to be made first.

Like voting. Everyone gets to vote, even though there is only one candidate.

A good, new, progressive approach.

Is this "progressive?" Is it now "better?"

I was in scouts for years. Cub scouts (boring, dumb stuff), Scouts (lots of camping, backpacking, wilderness survival, fun!), Explorer (wilderness survival, search and rescue with Sheriff Dept., fun, exciting, scary).

The good old days. Not "progressive" but IMO certainly "better" without the external top-down social engineering that has crept into everything.

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
I guess there's no reason not to do this.

At https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/10/11/boy-scouts-of-america-to-allow-girls-in-its-ranks-for-the-first-time/?utm_term=.dc7de7c28841 there's an article with more detail. Apparently things are kind of a mess the way they are now. Girls have participated in some Boy Scout activities for a long time -- 1971 was mentioned -- but not others, not the Eagle Scout program. Gay and LGBT people can join the Boy Scouts but girls are restricted from some of the activities. Boy Scout membership is declining.

It may be that there's still enough interest in participating in the Boy Scouts to keep it from dying off altogether, but not enough for it to flourish without increasing the size of its membership?

Is there really any reason to keep boys and girls separate in two organizations?

"If you don't risk anything, you risk even more." -- Erica Jong

Wim
Junior Carp
In Belgium boy scouts and girl scouts have merged decades ago. Nothing to be afraid of.
Both my son and daughter have been member and they never considered it odd.

Wim

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Wim
Oct 11 2017, 11:59 PM
In Belgium boy scouts and girl scouts have merged decades ago. Nothing to be afraid of.
Both my son and daughter have been member and they never considered it odd.

Wim
Same here.

It's a non-issue.
Attempto!

Jolly
Member Avatar
The Truth is out there.
Wonder what the Kama sutra badge will look like?
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Jolly
Member Avatar
The Truth is out there.
Maybe we will now have Spread Eagle Scouts?
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
Jolly
Oct 12 2017, 01:38 AM

Don't know, but its official name will be the "Donald J. Trump BSA Jamboree SmackTalk Award". :D

Jolly
Member Avatar
The Truth is out there.
Catseye3
Oct 12 2017, 02:21 AM
Jolly
Oct 12 2017, 01:38 AM

Don't know, but its official name will be the "Donald J. Trump BSA Jamboree SmackTalk Award". :D
Nah, we'll just shorten it to the "Clinton".

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
Does anyone remember the reason the Boy Scouts was started?

To teach boys how to be men.

That was its purpose. Leftism does not want little boys to learn how to be men.
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
Not so fast, says the Girl Scouts

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/08/23/scout-wars-girl-scouts-accuse-boy-scouts-of-recruiting-girls-to-increase-membership/?utm_term=.4d06f185be49
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball

Wim
Junior Carp
Larry
Oct 12 2017, 05:08 AM
Does anyone remember the reason the Boy Scouts was started?

To teach boys how to be men.

That was its purpose. Leftism does not want little boys to learn how to be men.
The scouts group where my kids belonged to is still called 'Baden Powell'.
But that doesn't necesseralily mean this group sticks to his particular military principles. They focus on self-reliance, which in my opinion has nothing to do with right or left. It's called common sense. My son and daughter are adults now and they consider having been a scout a very great benefit.

Big John
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
And girl scouts allow boys now, and both allow transgender, and open borders and anyone can be anything they want, as long as it's not white or male or heterosexual or cisgender or Christian, or, God forbid, all five.

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
Who hear was a scout, has kids in scouts, or had a kid in scouts?
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.

Jolly
Member Avatar
The Truth is out there.
:wave:

Been years, though.

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
Luke's Dad
Oct 12 2017, 07:19 AM
:wave: Me. I wanted to be a Brownie. So they bought the uniform and the sash and all that. Flew up to Girl Scout, and they bought the uniform and the sashes and the other stuff. The green socks with the little emblems. I was almost immediately bored to death and wanted to quit. Informed that I couldn't quit until I'd made first class (a certain number of badges, I forget how many). I made first class very rapidly, by dint of rampant lying and cheating.

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

I was a Cub Scout, my sisters were Brownies.

Because girls are different.
The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
Luke's Dad
Oct 12 2017, 07:19 AM
:wave:

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply