Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Hallelujah! The Songs We Should Retire
Topic Started: Oct 11 2017, 07:17 AM (208 Views)
George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Songs that we should retire.

A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

Given the way acetaminophen and alcohol don’t mix, I haven’t kept a bottle of Tylenol anywhere in the house for years.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Frank_W
Member Avatar
Resident Misanthrope
Whoa... "Freebird," "Hotel California," and "Bohemian Rhapsody," should NEVER be retired. OMG... That's just great music. The rest of them: Meh...

I had a dream once, that I was telling Don McLean that "American Pie" was about three minutes too long. (Of course, he didn't listen)
Anatomy Prof: "The human body has about 20 sq. meters of skin."
Me: "Man, that's a lot of lampshades!"
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Frank_W
Oct 11 2017, 09:29 AM
I had a dream once, that I was telling Don McLean that "American Pie" was about three minutes too long.
I wholeheartedly second that. (I very much like Nik Kershaw's rule of songwriting: if you're going to bring something around again—lyrics, a riff or melody, etc.—it's gotta be at least a little bit different. Otherwise you're just stirring up crapsauce.)
I cite irreconcilable differences.

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
Quote:

"Freebird," "Hotel California," and "Bohemian Rhapsody," should NEVER be retired.

Agreed, especially 'Hotel California' and 'BoRap'. And keep 'Take It Easy' and 'Lyin' Eyes' while you're at it.

In exchange, you can throw 'You're So Vain' under the bus anytime, the sooner the better. If I get another earworm with that bloody song, my brain will discorporate.

ETA: And to honor D'Oh because I know he would add it to the retirement list if he were here, 'Imagine' can be done without forevermore, too.
Edited by Catseye3, Oct 11 2017, 10:09 AM.
"If you don't risk anything, you risk even more." -- Erica Jong

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
1. All Weird Al songs except Another One Rides The Bus

2. All Boston

3. All Kansas

4. All Ozzy Osbourne and his ilk.

5. Speed metal and death metal. No more screamo rock.

6. Coldplay. All of it. Gone.

7. Pink.

8. Katy Perry - public execution is preferred.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
Quote:

3. All Kansas
Coldplay. All of it. Gone.
Pink.

CRETIN!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtXby3twMmI
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFWtsT5zRKo
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSjIz8oQuko
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
You heard me.

No do overs.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
hahahahaha

I like Coldplay. I sort of like Kansas. I LOVE Pink.
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Jolly
Member Avatar
The Truth is out there.
Sorry suckers.

May you be damned to a life of Nickelback.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Nunatax
Member Avatar
Middle Aged Carp
I’m a Dire Straits fan, but imho Walk of Life and Twisting by the pool are ones we should retire.
You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Mikhailoh
Oct 11 2017, 10:23 AM
5. Speed metal
:mellow:

We may have to re-define our friendship, man.

I cite irreconcilable differences.

Frank_W
Member Avatar
Resident Misanthrope
Death metal needs to die a metal death. I hate it.

"867-5309" is one that needs to die. Also, "Blinded By The Light." Both of those songs are absolute crap, and they need to go. Also, everything by Huey Lewis and the News. All of it. It's garbage. Everything by Bread, ditto. Also, Creed. Most modern soul, gangsta' rap, and most hip hop: Burn it all. The Carpenters, too. Karen bloody Carpenter's incessant whining just fills me with an absolute murderous rage, every time I hear it.

Improviso
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Frank_W
Oct 11 2017, 01:51 PM
"867-5309" is one that needs to die.
Jenny called..

She hates you.
Identifying narcissists isn't difficult. Just look for the person who is constantly fishing for compliments
and admiration while breaking down over even the slightest bit of criticism.

We have the freedom to choose our actions, but we do not get to choose our consequences.

Frank_W
Member Avatar
Resident Misanthrope
s'alright. I already did her in the pooper. Plus, her mom won't quit texting me.

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop
Frank_W
Oct 11 2017, 01:51 PM

Most modern soul, gangsta' rap, and most hip hop: Burn it all.

Most?
The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
i don't like much rap or hip hop.. but I LOOOOVE watching my wife dance the "Watch me Whip/Watch me Nae Nae song..

She turns 12 different shades of red because she's very reserved and would die if anyone else saw her doing it.... but DAMN is she good at it....
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
The writers need to be bitchslapped...

There's a remarkable aspect of the free market where if enough people stop purchasing a product, then it will stop being available. If enough people stop buying/downloading/requesting/and listening to these songs then they will disappear. The fact that they haven't means that enough people enjoy it so it shouldn't be retired. If uou don't lime it, don't listen to it. It's a simple enough solution that I use often with NPR.

Fascist bastards.
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Hey the easiest way to be a smug douchebag is to pore over pop culture and find popular stuff to poop on. You can't expect people not to swing at a big softball like that. We probably all did in high school and college while we were gradually learning what it was to be a hipster douchebag. Some of us learn and some of us repeat the mistake on NPR in our forties. It takes all kinds!
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Sign-up Now
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply