Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Goodbye "Blue Slips"
Topic Started: Oct 11 2017, 04:48 AM (117 Views)
George K
Member Avatar
Finally
http://www.weeklystandard.com/mitch-mcconnell-goes-to-the-mattresses-for-trumps-judicial-nominees/article/2010022
Quote:

The Republican drive to confirm federal judges has gained momentum from a series of actions by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell. They seem modest but are likely to speed up the confirmation of both appeals and district court judges—conservatives, for the most part.

Democrats won’t be pleased. The steps McConnell has taken in recent weeks are aimed at thwarting their efforts to block, sideline, or delay President Trump’s nominees.

Here’s what McConnell has done:

* Confirming judicial nominees has been elevated to a top priority in the Senate. “I decide the priority,” McConnell said in an interview. “Priority between an assistant secretary of State and a conservative court judge—it’s not a hard choice to make.”

And when nominees “come out of committee, I guarantee they will be dealt with,” McConnell said. “Regardless of what tactics are used by Democrats, the judges are going to be confirmed.”

* No longer will “blue slips” be allowed to deny a nominee a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing and vote on confirmation. In the past, senators have sometimes barred a nominee from their state by refusing to return their slip to the committee, thus preventing a hearing and confirmation.

“The majority”—that is, Republicans—will treat a blue slip “as simply notification of how you’re going to vote, not as an opportunity to blackball,” McConnell told me. The use of blue slips, he noted, is not a Senate rule and has “been honored in the breach over the years.” Now it won’t be honored at all.

* The so-called “30 hours rule”—which provides for 30 hours of debate on a nominee—won’t be overturned. But McConnell vowed to set aside time for these debates. And he can make this happen because he sets the Senate schedule.

The majority leader has been under pressure recently from conservative groups to get more court nominees approved by the Judiciary Committee—and more rapidly—and sent to the Senate floor. McConnell had long prodded the committee to increase the number of hearings, then report the nominees out as quickly as possible for Senate floor votes.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

Given the way acetaminophen and alcohol don’t mix, I haven’t kept a bottle of Tylenol anywhere in the house for years.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jolly
Member Avatar
The Truth is out there.
There has been a ton of pressure brought to hear on Mitch. Many think he will carve the time out of the schedule for judicial appointment discussion, by ending the informal "leave early" agreement at the end of the week.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Frank_W
Member Avatar
Resident Misanthrope
Good. Why do congressmen/women make as much as they do? If they worked as hard FOR the people as they do trying to work AGAINST the people, congress might actually be worth a damn.
Anatomy Prof: "The human body has about 20 sq. meters of skin."
Me: "Man, that's a lot of lampshades!"
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
It’s a short-sighted thing for a Conservative party to do. All these veto points (and the filibuster for that matter) are what make the Senate a fundamentally conservative institution.

Jolly
Member Avatar
The Truth is out there.
jon-nyc
Oct 11 2017, 02:43 PM
It’s a short-sighted thing for a Conservative party to do. All these veto points (and the filibuster for that matter) are what make the Senate a fundamentally conservative institution.
Like the libs wouldn't do it? :lol2:

SCOTUS has fundamentally changed the rules. There are no longer three equal branches of government. That's what you get with a living constitution.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
It’s in the long term interest of a progressive party to have the senate work on majority rule. It’s not in the long term interest of conservatives. Like I said, all the veto points are what make it a conservative institution.

But this advantages the GOP this week, sure.

Jolly
Member Avatar
The Truth is out there.
jon-nyc
Oct 11 2017, 05:43 PM
It’s in the long term interest of a progressive party to have the senate work on majority rule. It’s not in the long term interest of conservatives. Like I said, all the veto points are what make it a conservative institution.

But this advantages the GOP this week, sure.
Define long term.

The courts have become the ultimate government authority. He who controls the courts, controls the direction of the country. We see echoes of the Clinton presidency almost on a weekly basis and most of those judges were appointed over twenty years ago.

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
There are over 3000 federal judges. This permanent change might get 100 of them confirmed. That’s not the long view.

Madison took the long view.

Jolly
Member Avatar
The Truth is out there.
jon-nyc
Oct 12 2017, 01:44 AM
There are over 3000 federal judges. This permanent change might get 100 of them confirmed. That’s not the long view.

Madison took the long view.
Briefly consider a second Trump term. :devilgrin: I think it would be a lot more than 100.

Also consider that the Dems in the Senate would most likely do the same thing. This didn't start with Mitch. There is a reason "borking" is considered a verb.

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Again, I don’t doubt there are plenty of short term benefits of them doing this. Especially for McConnell

Jolly
Member Avatar
The Truth is out there.
jon-nyc
Oct 12 2017, 02:05 AM
Again, I don’t doubt there are plenty of short term benefits of them doing this. Especially for McConnell
https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/how-harry-reid-changed-the-federal-courts

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
If the Democrats were able to get the GOP to help them convert the Senate from a brake on the passions of the people to just another instrument of them, then I suppose that was a strategic victory of epic proportions.

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply