Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
About Andy Kaufman
Topic Started: Oct 10 2017, 03:24 AM (188 Views)
Catseye3
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
https://delanceyplace.com/. Today's excerpt:

Andy Kaufman was one of the strangest and most controversial of American comedians, with routines composed of lip-syncing to the "Mighty Mouse" theme song or posing as a professional wrestler or lounge singer:

"Andy Kaufman was twenty-three and living with his parents in Great Neck, Long Island, when a local music club owner called [Improv comedy club owner Bud] Friedman and said, 'You really should see this guy.' Kaufman showed up at the Improv in his 'foreign man' character and introduced himself to Friedman in badly broken English.

" 'Where you from, kid?' Friedman asked.

" 'An island in the Caspian Sea,' Kaufman replied in the voice of a five-year-old. Friedman didn't get the joke because he didn't know there are no islands in the Caspian Sea, but he put Kaufman on anyway and watched as he stumbled through a series of egregious celebrity impressions while members of the audience either giggled nervously or stared in slack-jawed silence. After what seemed like an eternity, Kaufman announced, 'Now I would like to do the Elvis Presley,' and ripped into a dead-on im≠personation of the King singing 'Treat Me Nice.' The crowd went wild over the extended put-on and Kaufman became an instant Improv regular....

Kaufman went on to headline in comedy clubs and was soon picked up by television producers to co-star as the endearing-but-goofy car mechanic Latka Gravas in the soon-to-be hit sitcom Taxi

"Some weeknights [Kaufman's comedian friends would go] to the Posh Bagel on Santa Mon≠ica Boulevard in West Hollywood to see Andy Kaufman perform, not as a comic but as a busboy. One or two nights a week, the breakout star of a hit network sitcom worked for minimum wage and went unrecognized for the most part, which is why he did it and why his comedian friends would show up to participate in his peculiar brand of performance art. They'd sit at a table like normal patrons, pretending not to know him. He'd ignore them and go about his busboy business. Then, something would happen: He'd drop or spill something, or they would. An argument would break out; shouting would ensue. Chairs might be knocked over, bagels thrown. Kaufman's friends would bolt for the parking lot before dissolving into laughter, and he'd resume bussing tables for the stunned customers without ever breaking character."
"If you don't risk anything, you risk even more." -- Erica Jong
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Yep. He was to comedy what Kubrick was to film: he had an idea of what he wanted to do and didn't give two shits what anyone else thought. And most of it was brilliant.
I cite irreconcilable differences.

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
The mighty mouse bit from SNL and the elvis bit seem like variations on a theme. Irritate the audience, get them anticipating or hating a little, then give them something unexpectedly good. Maybe that's what his whole career was if you zoom out.
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Horace
Oct 10 2017, 08:51 AM
The mighty mouse bit from SNL and the elvis bit seem like variations on a theme. Irritate the audience, get them anticipating or hating a little, then give them something unexpectedly good. Maybe that's what his whole career was if you zoom out.
That really wasn't it, though. Irritation wasn't the point, but rather giving them some shit that has no protocol for how to deal with it.
I cite irreconcilable differences.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
Yep. Something they have not seen before.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Aqua Letifer
Oct 10 2017, 09:37 AM
Horace
Oct 10 2017, 08:51 AM
That really wasn't it, though. Irritation wasn't the point, but rather giving them some **** that has no protocol for how to deal with it.
Being bad entertainment and then surprising the audience with good entertainment as the punchline was the point of the two sketches I mentioned. Or if not the point then the way they achieved being funny or compelling. I think you can zoom out and consider his larger career that way, but that's just a way of looking at it.
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?

Chris Aher
Member Avatar
Middle Aged Carp
I saw Kaufman at a small club called the Metro in Queens circa 1972 or so. I found him annoying and not particularly entertaining.
Regards,
Chris

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Chris Aher
Oct 10 2017, 07:04 PM
I saw Kaufman at a small club called the Metro in Queens circa 1972 or so. I found him annoying and not particularly entertaining.
He once read Great Gatsby cover to cover for a crowd who was there to see a standup act.

It was performance art and impossible to appreciate without zooming out, from certain audience perspectives.

Even then, it's definitely ok not to appreciate it.

Frank_W
Member Avatar
Resident Misanthrope
His whole pro wrestler bit was soooo irritating. I personally think he sucked. I think Jim Carey shares a lot of the same irritating traits, ("The Cable Guy") but there are times when Jim Carey is legitimately funny, or acts in an uncommonly serious role.
Anatomy Prof: "The human body has about 20 sq. meters of skin."
Me: "Man, that's a lot of lampshades!"

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Frank_W
Oct 11 2017, 02:30 PM
His whole pro wrestler bit was soooo irritating. I personally think he sucked. I think Jim Carey shares a lot of the same irritating traits, ("The Cable Guy") but there are times when Jim Carey is legitimately funny, or acts in an uncommonly serious role.
There's a difference between pushing the envelope and tearing it open and spewing out the contents.

With his Mighty Mouse routine, with his Elvis impression, he pushed the envelope. Those were funny, because they came out of nowhere, and were creative as hell.

The wrestling thing was probably funny for about a week. But, like the mother-in-law that won't move out, it became tiresome and tedious. It stopped being funny, and he should have given it up.

Carrey in a serious role? Yea! Truman Show, Eternal Sunshine... Even in a "light" comedy like Liar Liar, he was great. But I *hated* Cable Guy. Not because it was Carrey. I hated it because it wasn't funny.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

Given the way acetaminophen and alcohol donít mix, I havenít kept a bottle of Tylenol anywhere in the house for years.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Frank_W
Member Avatar
Resident Misanthrope
Exactly, George. I liked, "The Mask," too. He was very good, very funny, in that. "Cable Guy," I've never been able to get through. I make to the basketball scene, and then can't take anymore. Matthew Broderick is another one that irritates the snot out of me. Bill Murray is another... He and Phil Collins: Separated at birth? (Both are irritating as hell!)
Anatomy Prof: "The human body has about 20 sq. meters of skin."
Me: "Man, that's a lot of lampshades!"

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Horace
Oct 10 2017, 07:40 PM
He once read Great Gatsby cover to cover for a crowd who was there to see a standup act.
That arrogant fvck.

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p0sr2BejUk

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply