Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Want to know why Trump got elected?
Topic Started: Oct 9 2017, 04:00 AM (865 Views)
Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
Stupid crap like this.

Dove soap apologizes for 'racially insenitive' ad
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
That's just the ueber-stupid crap that makes it to the airways.

My greatest fear is that Trump is not an anomaly.

We had Clinton, then we had Obama, a step down from Clinton, and now we have Trump, a further step down in the 'fall' part of the 'rise and fall'. In what I fear is an logical, unavoidable pattern, if Trump hadn't announced, some other destructive madclown would have stepped up because, as Copper was fond of saying during the election, it is historical. I think he meant inevitable, and that is what I greatly fear Trump is. If I'm right, I dread finding out who will be the next president. Is Howard Stern too old?

Are we done? I think we may be. Barring a miracle, I think we may have passed the point of no return, and all that's left is the fiddling.

If there is any hope of survival, we absolutely must stop cordoning off and blaming each other, and instead face the unpalatable truth that we are all to blame in one way or another, neither side more than the other, and figure out a way to work together. If you disagree, then by all means keep on wasting your priceless substance on inessentials like the NFL flap.

I see no indication that this will happen.

Chocolate doesn't ask silly questions. Chocolate understands.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
It's all cyclical.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
Posted Image
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Obviously the companies that are the target of such campaigns try to minimize damage, hence I don't necessarily blame them (this is just good old capitalism). However, I wonder whether this reaction does actually minimize their damage, because many people are pi$$ed off by over-the-top PC. I'd have loved to be in the meeting where they discussed what to do.
Trifonov Fleisher Klaus Sokolov Zimmerman

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
In other news, I read today that a fireman in Detroit was fired for bringing a watermelon because it was "racially insensitive".

I completely fail to understand that watermelons have to do with race.
Trifonov Fleisher Klaus Sokolov Zimmerman

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
If only those critics could hear the conversations that go on in advertising offices about diversity.
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop
Klaus
Oct 9 2017, 06:51 AM

Most tribes have some ethnic food that becomes a stereotype. Spaghetti or Yorkshire Pudding for example.

For the most part I don't think this stereotype is good or bad.

I think recently that anything that could be seen as African-American before the enlightenment has become sensitive.

When was the enlightenment? I'm not sure, but it was recent - the last few decades.

Before the enlightenment part of the African-American stereotype was a taste for watermelons.

I think improper use of a watermelon is a minor transgression.

Improper use of cotton has recently been a more serious problem.

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Klaus
Oct 9 2017, 06:51 AM
In other news, I read today that a fireman in Detroit was fired for bringing a watermelon because it was "racially insensitive".

From Breitbart (which I landed on totally by accident):

"Fire Commissioner Eric Jones said in a statement that Pattison was officially discharged:

There is zero tolerance for discriminatory behavior inside the Detroit Fire Department. On Saturday, Sept. 30, 2017, at Engine 55, a trial firefighter (probationary employee) engaged in unsatisfactory work behavior which was deemed offensive and racially insensitive to members of the Detroit Fire Department. After a thorough investigation, it was determined that the best course of action was to terminate the employment of this probationary employee.

Despite Commissioner Jonesís statement, McCarty does not think Pattison should have lost his job over a watermelon.

"I donít think so," McCarty said. "Between what he did and what was there are a few things that could have been done."

And! Not only that . . . "Pattison, who was a probationary firefighter, decided to stand out from the crowd and bring a watermelon with a pink bow on top."

Showing insensitivity to breast cancer! Firing was too good for him!

Of course, you know what this means, right? We have to outlaw watermelons. Serving watermelon is racist. Not serving watermelon for fear of giving offense is racist. There is no solution. Watermelons must go.

We need a new word to signify a combination of over-the-top stupid and insane, both.

What I wrote earlier this morning? Forget it. This country fracking deserves what it gets. :mad2:

ETA: Maybe it's fake news?
Edited by Catseye3, Oct 9 2017, 07:50 AM.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
I love watermelon. Fried chicken, too.

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Mikhailoh
Oct 9 2017, 08:07 AM
Well, yer outta luck, whitebread.

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
On second thought:

Maybe the brass had no choice but to fire the new guy for his own safety.

Firefighters operate on the buddy system in dangerous situations, each one watching his buddy's back. Would the dope who complained about the watermelon set aside his hurt feelings and see to the new guy's safety in a dicey scenario? Could the new guy have trusted him to do that? Or any of the others? If not, then what? He should stay in the stationhouse the whole time?

Maybe the guy was doomed the minute the dope raised the whole watermelon issue.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
Catseye3
Oct 9 2017, 08:08 AM
Mikhailoh
On the other hand it is difficult to imagine taking a whole watermelon to work. I am wondering if there is not more to this story than meets the eye. :lol2:

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
"Pin-up" visit to VA Hospital is offensive.

Or not...
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

I'd rather listen to an hour of Abba than an hour of The Beatles.
- Klaus, 4/29/18

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
Mikhailoh
Oct 9 2017, 08:47 AM
Catseye3
Oct 9 2017, 08:08 AM
Mikhailoh
On the other hand it is difficult to imagine taking a whole watermelon to work. I am wondering if there is not more to this story than meets the eye. :lol2:
I was thinking so as well, but:http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/detroit-firefighter-fired-for-bringing-watermelon-to-station

It was his first day, there no previous jokes...
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.

xenon
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
There's plenty of touchiness and offense being taken on all sides of the political spectrum - and I don't think Trump will affect this situation for the better at all.

There's a massive lack of perspective in politics. Success is is seen as the natural condition of the U.S. - not something that is hard fought and hard won.

Automation, human capital competitiveness, innovation, efficient education and health spending, new energy, etc. - it's not that there's not a strategy for these things, there's no dialogue.

It's all about dividing up the pie - very few are talking about how we ensure we have the best pie going forward, that part is just taken as a religious axiom.
Edited by xenon, Oct 9 2017, 01:36 PM.

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Quote:

Success is is seen as the natural condition of the U.S. - not something that is hard fought and hard won.

:thumb:

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop
xenon
Oct 9 2017, 01:35 PM

Success is is seen as the natural condition of the U.S. - not something that is hard fought and hard won.

By whom?
The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
There's really something wrong with his brain.
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

xenon
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
Hey Larry - if you have a smartphone - you can set a reminder every day to untwist your panties.

Renauda
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
It never dawned on me that the late Alvin Lee was making a racist statement when he left the main stage at Woodstock.

xenon
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
Copper
Oct 9 2017, 02:08 PM
xenon
Oct 9 2017, 01:35 PM

By whom?
I'm inferring from the lack of discourse I see on the sources of our success. I'm sure there's been plenty of surveys on this (i.e. asking folks why they think America is the greatest country in the world) - Ill google it.

Why do we have the best educational institutions? Is the gap closing or increasing with the rest of the world?
Do we have the best and brightest - or do we just unlock their potential better than anyone else? Are we attracting/fostering the best/brightest at a faster or slowing rate relative to the rest of the world.
So on and so forth.

Pre-WW2, the U.S. had a very different position in the world than it does today. I think if you asked people the question then - you'd probably still get a lot of "Yes - we're the greatest" - but because of our ideals and values.

Take free trade for example - there wasn't really much of an eye-batted when the republican platform sort of changed towards protectionism. But I think there's a very good case to be made that this is just the dumbest **** that the U.S. can do. The developing world (i.e. India, China) - is finally at the point where have a massive growing middle class, and they want American **** (clothes, technology, media, etc.)- and the U.S. has been extolling the virtues of free-trade the whole time (and there's definitely been losers in American sectors because of this).

But now - when those markets are ripening - now is when we choose to to yank the carpet from trade and say - fvck it - America first, we got this **** covered ourselves.

And there was hardly an uproar about this - I'm just dumbfounded that we've ceded leadership on world trade and no one is batting any eye.

Anyways - I'm rambling now - hopefully that gives insight to my line of thinking (or my particular brand of brain damage as larry puts it).
Edited by xenon, Oct 9 2017, 03:29 PM.

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop
xenon
Oct 9 2017, 03:23 PM

But now - when those markets are ripening - now is when we choose to to yank the carpet from trade and say - fvck it - America first, we got this **** covered ourselves.

Who says that?

Nobody really.

The vulgar language would suggest some liberals maybe.

Thank goodness Mr. Trump is working hard to create global trade that will allow Americans to compete.

Americans have been getting hurt so badly for so long by STUPID! trade deals, it is nice having a president who likes the country.

xenon
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
TPP - actions speak louder than words.

China is more than happy to fill that void.

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Ok, food for thought...Africa has perhaps the most natural resources of any continent. OTOH, it is probably the poorest continent.

Why?

Answer that question, flip it over and you have your answer.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: