Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Hey, cooks! Is this stuff crap?
Topic Started: Oct 7 2017, 12:04 PM (277 Views)
George K
Member Avatar
Finally
I have to get this stuff for a very, very good price.

Posted Image
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

I'd rather listen to an hour of Abba than an hour of The Beatles.
- Klaus, 4/29/18
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
Calphalon has a good reputation.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/calphalon-classic-nonstick-10-pc.-cookware-set-created-for-macys?ID=2625638&pla_country=US&CAGPSPN=pla&CAWELAID=120156340005319208&CAAGID=39134022370&CATCI=pla-59723389971&CATARGETID=120156340015180986&cadevice=c&cm_mmc=Google_Home_Cookware_PLA-_-Cookware-Cookware+Sets_calphalon-_-201694207886-_-pg160661_c_kclickid_4e55a35e-d1e2-41d7-96e0-0bc9ed169847&trackingid=439x160661&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1_fe1qjf1gIVDqhpCh1J0wtEEAYYASABEgLlIfD_BwE

10-Pc at Macy's: $279.99

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/calphalon-reg-classic-trade-nonstick-10-piece-cookware-set/1045500466?skuId=45500466&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_cookware_online&product_id=45500466&adtype=pla_multichannel&product_channel=online&adpos=1o4&creative=224234111979&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&mrkgadid=3043391170&mrkgcl=609&rkg_id=h-8cf3a77be8d75a4a4033262b1cb9d1b5_t-1507407173&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1_fe1qjf1gIVDqhpCh1J0wtEEAYYBCABEgKVzvD_BwE

10-Pc at Bed Bath & Beyond: $199.99

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/calphalon-signature-nonstick-10-piece-cookware-set/?catalogId=19&sku=4203076&cm_ven=PLA&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=Cookware%20%3E%20Cookware%20Sets&kwid=productads-adid^52929359743-device^c-plaid^63151460100-sku^4203076-adType^PLA&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1_fe1qjf1gIVDqhpCh1J0wtEEAYYBSABEgIT8fD_BwE&cm_ite=[[ADL]%20[PLA]%20[Shopping]%20-%20Multichannel%20-%20Manufacturer]

10-Pc "Signature" at Williams-Sonoma: $549.95

Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face. -- Mike Tyson

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Thanks Cats. I know about the good rep, but I was wondering about this specific set. Wondering if it's a "lower end" model from their line. This is not the non-stick which you pointed me to, but the stainless steel.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- Klaus, 4/29/18

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
George K
Oct 7 2017, 12:19 PM
Thanks Cats. I know about the good rep, but I was wondering about this specific set. Wondering if it's a "lower end" model from their line. This is not the non-stick which you pointed me to, but the stainless steel.
If it's the tri-ply (which it looks like on the basic pots and skillets) it's decent stuff. This (IMO) is as good and a bit cheaper:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009JXPS6U/ref=asc_df_B009JXPS6U5205146/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B009JXPS6U&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167126565975&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4336344788967420206&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9058069&hvtargid=pla-272576478856

Either way, they're Chinese knock-offs of All-Clad.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
I should explain that I got a nice little catalog from the place where I used to work, congratulating me on my retirement (hey, it only took them 11 months...).

"Pick a gift..."

So, the price, as I said, is very, very good.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- Klaus, 4/29/18

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
George K
Oct 7 2017, 01:00 PM
I should explain that I got a nice little catalog from the place where I used to work, congratulating me on my retirement (hey, it only took them 11 months...).

"Pick a gift..."

So, the price, as I said, is very, very good.
Mik can speak about tri-ply stuff, as he cooks quite a bit with his. IME, it's not the best for everything, but it does do a good job. I find it cooks hot, which I guess means it has good heat conductivity.

We differ on lids. I like the all metal lids, he likes the glass ones. Of course, being the amatuer that he is, he probably has to watch his food as it cooks. :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Yeah, but is this the tri-ply stuff? I can't tell from the catalog.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- Klaus, 4/29/18

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead

Quote:

Mik can speak about tri-ply stuff, as he cooks quite a bit with his. IME, it's not the best for everything, but it does do a good job. I find it cooks hot, which I guess means it has good heat conductivity.

We differ on lids. I like the all metal lids, he likes the glass ones. Of course, being the amatuer that he is, he probably has to watch his food as it cooks. :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Posted Image
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
George K
Oct 7 2017, 01:05 PM
Probably. I'd go for it. Good cookware is great, but only to a point. It won't make you a better cook, like, say, a great piano makes you better.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Gee, I know a plastic surgeon getting married whose new bride probably needs a set of pots...

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
Quote:

I'm not a cook, but I'm pretty sure that it's cookware, not crap. I may be wrong, but crap is generally softer and more brown. If it is crap, I don't want to meet whoever passed that.
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
Quote:

I'm not a cook, but I'm pretty sure that it's cookware, not crap. I may be wrong, but crap is generally softer and more brown. If it is crap, I don't want to meet whoever passed that.
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Luke's Dad
Oct 7 2017, 01:20 PM
Quote:

Thanks for the pointers! I'll go ahead and order it.

Maybe.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- Klaus, 4/29/18

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
George K
Oct 7 2017, 01:05 PM
Look at their website and compare what the stuff on there looks like....IIRC, look at the handles and how they are attached pretty closely...

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Okay, I may pull the trigger.

What's the upkeep, maintenance on this stuff?

- Mik, 6/14/08

- Klaus, 4/29/18

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
George K
Oct 7 2017, 02:01 PM
Okay, I may pull the trigger.

What's the upkeep, maintenance on this stuff?
Who's yer buddy?

http://www.calphalon.com/en-US/use-and-care-calphalon-tri-ply-stainless-steel

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
Even the lower dollar Calphalon stuff is better than most. I'm cooking with a 10" nonstick you can get in a set with a 12" one for $50. Good quality, but I am tough on nonstick.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
I had completely forgotten about this, and looking at my worn-out (cheap) Rachael Ray stuff, I decided to go ahead an order the Calphalon.

However, the stuff that was in the catalog is no longer available. What *is* available is the Calphalon Contemporary Non-Stick - 11 piece set.

Posted Image

Dishwasher safe, and oven safe to 450 degrees.

Free.

http://www.calphalon.com/en-US/calphalon-cookware/cookware-by-collection/contemporary-cookware/calphalon-contemporary-nonstick-11-pc-cookware-set-ca-1876787--1

Ordered.
Edited by George K, May 15 2018, 07:51 AM.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- Klaus, 4/29/18

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

I use the Calphalon Hard-Anodized Nonstick 8-Inch Fry Pan just about every morning.

It works great.
The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
I remember your asking about this. If I had to guess (from unreliable memory) I'd say Calphalon is well thought of. Williams-Sonoma carries it.

Personally I don't like nonstick. Don't like it aesthetically and I don't like how it cooks food. Plus, there's some talk, I don't know how valid, that the nonstick surface might present health problems (cancer?). I don't like it for the same reason I don't like microwave. It feels like fake cooking. Here's info on the Calphalon stainless steel. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HQWONBW/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B00HQWONBW&pd_rd_wg=i0YKB&pd_rd_r=B9NRRJ11NZFG0X89CM2R&pd_rd_w=vTlF0

471 reviews, avg 4 stars, 137 answered questions.

If I was in the market, I'd go for it.
Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face. -- Mike Tyson

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
When no-stick flakes, PTFE ain't good for you.

So just watch for deterioration...

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
Free?

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Mikhailoh
May 15 2018, 05:35 PM
Free?
Yup. It is my retirement gift from the hospital. I figured I can't go wrong.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- Klaus, 4/29/18

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
No. Calphalon makes good stuff.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
From reading around, this stuff gets pretty good reviews. The warranty is also good (not sure if it's 10 years or lifetime - either is fine).

- Mik, 6/14/08

- Klaus, 4/29/18

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: