Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Oh, Harvey...
Topic Started: Oct 6 2017, 06:10 AM (1,404 Views)
George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Apparently, Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein has a "complicated" history with respect to teh wimmenz.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/05/us/harvey-weinstein-harassment-allegations.html
Quote:

Two decades ago, the Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein invited Ashley Judd to the Peninsula Beverly Hills hotel for what the young actress expected to be a business breakfast meeting. Instead, he had her sent up to his room, where he appeared in a bathrobe and asked if he could give her a massage or she could watch him shower, she recalled in an interview.

ďHow do I get out of the room as fast as possible without alienating Harvey Weinstein?Ē Ms. Judd said she remembers thinking.

In 2014, Mr. Weinstein invited Emily Nestor, who had worked just one day as a temporary employee, to the same hotel and made another offer: If she accepted his sexual advances, he would boost her career, according to accounts she provided to colleagues who sent them to Weinstein Company executives. The following year, once again at the Peninsula, a female assistant said Mr. Weinstein badgered her into giving him a massage while he was naked, leaving her ďcrying and very distraught,Ē wrote a colleague, Lauren OíConnor, in a searing memo asserting sexual harassment and other misconduct by their boss.

ďThere is a toxic environment for women at this company,Ē Ms. OíConnor said in the letter, addressed to several executives at the company run by Mr. Weinstein.

An investigation by The New York Times found previously undisclosed allegations against Mr. Weinstein stretching over nearly three decades, documented through interviews with current and former employees and film industry workers, as well as legal records, emails and internal documents from the businesses he has run, Miramax and the Weinstein Company.

He has lawyered-up.
Quote:

Harvey Weinstein has hired a high-powered team of attorneys to push back on soon-to-be-published bombshell stories from the New York Times and the New Yorker detailing sexual allegations and improper workplace behavior against him. Some women making the charges are believed to be on the record.

Weinstein, the indie mogul and founder of the Weinstein Company, has retained star litigator David Boies, as well as attorneys Lisa Bloom and Charles Harder in an effort to rebut the claims. Jodi Kantor, an investigative reporter who wrote about harsh working conditions at Amazon, is working on the story for the Times, along with Megan Twohey, who wrote a piece about Weinsteinís questionable charitable work for amfAR, a charity involved with AIDS research. Ronan Farrow, the former MSNBC host, is doing the story for the New Yorker, according to multiple individuals with knowledge of the situation. One individual said that at least one of the stories could be published as early as this week.

In a brief interview on Wednesday, Weinstein declined to comment on the charges.

Lisa Bloom? That name ring a bell? Perhaps it should:
https://www.bustle.com/articles/192971-who-is-lisa-bloom-donald-trumps-accuser-is-being-represented-by-a-powerful-attorney
Quote:

The woman who claims that Donald Trump sexually assaulted her in 1994, when she was just 13 years old, will speak to media for the first time Wednesday, her attorney Lisa Bloom announced in a tweet. Thus far identified as "Jane Doe," the accuser and her attorney will hold a press conference at 3 p.m. Pacific Time on Nov. 2 outside The Bloom Firm in Woodland Hills, California. Alan Garten, general counsel of the Trump Organization, called the allegations "categorically untrue, completely fabricated and politically motivated."

Bloom is the daughter of legendary women's rights attorney Gloria Allred, who is representing several of the other women who have accused Trump of sexually assaulting them over the years. Trump has denied all of their allegations of sexual assault and has threatened to sue his accusers. Back in June, Bloom wrote a powerful piece in The Huffington Post explaining "Why The New Child Rape Case Against Donald Trump Should Not Be Ignored."
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

Given the way acetaminophen and alcohol donít mix, I havenít kept a bottle of Tylenol anywhere in the house for years.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
I thought he was gay.

Well, it's Hollywood. He might be.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
It's the VRWC!

- Mik, 6/14/08

Given the way acetaminophen and alcohol donít mix, I havenít kept a bottle of Tylenol anywhere in the house for years.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
Of course it is.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
That Ashley Judd is such a tool of the Republican machine!
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
As Instapundit The Washington Post says, "Democracy dies in darkness."

https://www.mediaite.com/print/the-new-york-times-reportedly-killed-a-story-on-weinsteins-sexual-misconduct-in-2004/

Quote:

While The New York Times may have broken the story on Harvey Weinsteinís history of sexual harassment accusations, one former Times reporter is now saying the paper could have exposed the sins of the Hollywood titan over a decade ago.

Sharon Waxman, the former Times journalist in question, wrote a first-person piece for The Wrap asserting that no news outlet was willing to drop the hammer on Weinsteinís record of sexual misconduct ó not even the Times.

In 2004, Waxman began investigating the unpleasant rumors about Weinstein that many apparently talked about behind closed doors, but never published. The then-Times reporter attempted to change that, tracking down Weinsteinís shady procurer and finding a woman who was paid-off to keep her mouth shut about sexual harassment at the hands of the film mogul. And yet, despite her work on the story, Waxmanís facts were never published by the outlet lauded by many as the pinnacle of journalism.

Instead, she writes that everyone from Matt Damon, to Russell Crowe, to Weinstein himself stepped in to personally ensure this story never saw the A1 pages ó or any part of the paper for that matter. Waxman claims that her then-editor, the now-Bloomberg editor-at-large Jon Landman, ultimately shot down the damning piece and opted to run a story with no such allegations.

ďI was told at the time that Weinstein had visited the newsroom in person to make his displeasure known. I knew he was a major advertiser in the Times, and that he was a powerful person overallÖ I explained, to no avail, that a public company would certainly have a problem with a procurer on the payroll for hundreds of thousands of dollars,Ē writes Waxman.

After going through all of this to expose Weinstein ó just to have the Timesí run a similar investigation over a decade later made ó one wonders if this story could have been handled years ago, before more women were victimized.

Ironically, a follow-up piece on Weinsteinís misconduct ran in the Times last week decrying the Hollywood celebrityís ďmedia enablersĒ ó which, based on Waxmanís piece, included the Times until just last week.

- Mik, 6/14/08

ivorythumper
Member Avatar
I am so adjective that I verb nouns!
An interesting analysis of why the Weinstein story could only break after the end of the Clinton era...
The dogma lives loudly within me.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
David French has a more plausible theory over at National Review.

Jolly
Member Avatar
The Truth is out there.
http://dbdailyupdate.com/index.php/2017/10/10/this-weinstein-deal-is-just-getting-started-fun/

Nobody knew nothing.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Davis
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
"The Casting Couch" is a well known term. Those who relished the conservatives getting nailed should have been very concerned at that time. One can only imagine how many in Hollywood are guilty. I suspect things could get very very messy.

The only difference is the conservatives espouse family values. Yeah its hipocracy but I don't think it makes the alleged assault any different.

We live in interesting times. Statues seem quite quaint in the moment.

Jolly
Member Avatar
The Truth is out there.
Davis
Oct 10 2017, 08:22 AM
"The Casting Couch" is a well known term. Those who relished the conservatives getting nailed should have been very concerned at that time. One can only imagine how many in Hollywood are guilty. I suspect things could get very very messy.

The only difference is the conservatives espouse family values. Yeah its hipocracy but I don't think it makes the alleged assault any different.

We live in interesting times. Statues seem quite quaint in the moment.
Getting more interesting...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/10/us/gwyneth-paltrow-angelina-jolie-harvey-weinstein.html
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Posted Image

- Mik, 6/14/08

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

The rapist and the wife of a rapist enjoying each other's company

Posted Image
The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
https://twitter.com/BecketAdams/status/917810546627481606

- Mik, 6/14/08

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
http://www.tmz.com/2017/10/10/harvey-weinstein-sex-rehab-sexual-harassment-europe/
Quote:

Harvey Weinstein is boarding a private jet Tuesday night, bound for a rehab center in Europe for sex addiction ... sources connected with the former mogul tell TMZ.

We're told Harvey has decided to take the advice of the people around him and leave immediately. We're told he will enter a live-in facility and will deal both with sex and other behavioral issues.

Our sources say Weinstein is surprisingly calm, considering the PR nightmare engulfing him. As one source put it, "He has his moments where there are bursts, but for the most part he's pretty calm."

We're told Weinstein still believes he can get help, come back and make a fresh start. As a source close to Weinstein put it, "He wants to come back with fresh, new ideas." As we reported, he and his team are in settlement discussions with The Weinstein Co. and the idea of him serving in some outside capacity is still on the table.
Because that worked out so well for Anthony Weiner.

- Mik, 6/14/08

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ceNfXrccbQ

That was over 4 years ago.

- Mik, 6/14/08

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Time to change the name of the company:

Posted Image

Twitter explodes with suggestions:

The Jerk It Circuit Inc.
Casting Couch Unlimited
The Dapper Fapper Inc.
Complicity Pictures
"The Redskins Company" was a bold choice
The Bob Totally Didn't Know What His Brother Was Up To Company
"The Not-Weinstein Company" is an interesting choice
Hands-On Productions.

- Mik, 6/14/08

Improviso
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
And now it's come to light that NBC had the story in August and decided to not run it.

Identifying narcissists isn't difficult. Just look for the person who is constantly fishing for compliments
and admiration while breaking down over even the slightest bit of criticism.

We have the freedom to choose our actions, but we do not get to choose our consequences.

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Sounds like the Times had the story a decade ago.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Because Hitler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViTSvgajzE0

"This is what happens when Hugh Hefner dies!"

- Mik, 6/14/08

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
NYPD Launches Criminal Investigation into 2004 Sex Assault Allegation

Quote:

The New York Police Department has launched a criminal investigation into Harvey Weinstein stemming from a assault allegation 13 years ago, PEOPLE confirms.

The NYPD is looking into claims that the embattled movie mogul sexually assaulted the victim in 2004, a police spokesperson tells PEOPLE.

Officials would not release further information on the alleged assault or the investigation. However, Lucia Stoller, now Lucia Evans, told the The New Yorker that Weinstein forced her to perform oral sex on him in 2004.

ďI tried to get away, but maybe I didnít try hard enough. I didnít want to kick him or fight him,Ē she said. ďHeís a big guy. He overpowered me.Ē

In response to several allegations made against Weinstein, including Evansí, in the New Yorker piece, a spokesperson for Weinstein said, ďAny allegations of non-consensual sex are unequivocally denied by Mr. Weinstein.Ē

Evans said Weinstein first approached her at a New York club when she was a college student. She said he began calling her repeatedly and had an assistant call her until Evans agreed to meet with Weinstein at his Manhattan Miramax office.

Evans claimed she was led to a secluded office where she was alone with Weinstein, and he soon allegedly began to demean her while telling her about movie scripts.

ďAt that point, after that, is when he assaulted me,Ē Evans told New Yorker. ďHe forced me to perform oral sex on him.Ē

She added: ďI just sort of gave up. Thatís the most horrible part of it, and thatís why heís been able to do this for so long to so many women: people give up, and then they feel like itís their fault.Ē
Apparently, there's no statute of limitations for rape in New York.

- Mik, 6/14/08

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
Posted Image

Jolly
Member Avatar
The Truth is out there.
Gettin' sporty out there...

http://ew.com/movies/2017/10/12/rose-mcgowan-weinstein-rape-amazon/

http://deadline.com/2017/10/roy-price-amazon-sexual-harassment-claim-man-in-the-high-castle-producer-1202187548/

Jolly
Member Avatar
The Truth is out there.
A Democrat problem?

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/10/13/weinstein-scandal-has-democrats-in-bind-can-afford-to-cut-their-celebrity-messengers-loose.html

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Harvey's contract with TWC

Quote:

Harvey Weinstein may have been fired illegally by The Weinstein Company, a company that wrote a contract that said Weinstein could get sued over and over for sexual harassment and as long as he shelled out money, that was good enough for the Company.

TMZ is privy to Weinstein's 2015 employment contract, which says if he gets sued for sexual harassment or any other "misconduct" that results in a settlement or judgment against TWC, all Weinstein has to do is pay what the company's out, along with a fine, and he's in the clear.

According to the contract, if Weinstein "treated someone improperly in violation of the company's Code of Conduct," he must reimburse TWC for settlements or judgments. Additionally, "You [Weinstein] will pay the company liquidated damages of $250,000 for the first such instance, $500,000 for the second such instance, $750,000 for the third such instance, and $1,000,000 for each additional instance."

The contract says as long as Weinstein pays, it constitutes a "cure" for the misconduct and no further action can be taken. Translation -- Weinstein could be sued over and over and as long as he wrote a check, he keeps his job.

The contract has specific language as to when the Board of Directors can fire Weinstein -- if he's indicted or convicted of a crime, but that doesn't apply here.

There's another provision ... he can be fired for "the perpetuation by you [Weinstein] of a material fraud against the company." The question ... where's the fraud? Lance Maerov, the board member who negotiated Weinstein's 2015 contract, said in an interview -- and we've confirmed -- the Board knew Weinstein had settled prior lawsuits brought by various women, but they "assumed" it was to cover up consensual affairs. The Board's assumption does not constitute fraud on Weinstein's part.

And here's the kicker. Even if Weinstein had committed fraud by not fully informing the Board of Directors, the contract says before he can be fired he has a right to mediation and if that doesn't work, he's entitled to arbitration. He got neither. He was summarily fired, and sources connected with Weinstein tell TMZ he was never given a specific reason.

A source connected with TWC tells TMZ, the company had a right to fire Weinstein if he didn't notify the Board of Directors of settlements. We're told there have been no settlements since the contract was signed, so it would seem this clause does not apply.

- Mik, 6/14/08

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: