Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
I am gumbo-rich
Topic Started: Sep 11 2017, 05:14 PM (113 Views)
Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
The Bengals have answered the questions
My seafood guy makes THE BEST DAMN GUMBO EVER. Perfect roux, perfect flavor. $6 a serving. I can't make it that cheap.

All I do to it is add more cayenne, but that is because I am a big fan of heat.
"Itís difficult to win many games when we donít score touchdowns" - Marvin Lewis after the loss to the Texans Sept 14, 2017
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jolly
Member Avatar
Veni, vidi, vici
:tsktsk: Never let heat get in the way of seasoning.

And...A good seafood gumbo is very hard to beat. (Watch storing left-overs, though. If it hits the refrigerator too hot, it can sour.)
ďAn armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.Ē - Heinlein
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Mikhailoh
Sep 11 2017, 05:14 PM
My seafood guy makes THE BEST DAMN GUMBO EVER. Perfect roux, perfect flavor. $6 a serving. I can't make it that cheap.

:thumb:

My uncle was in the Merchant Marines for many, many years. New Orleans was his port of call. He learned from their cook, who was 100% fullblood cajun, how to make gumbo.

That shit... I believe would blow your mind. I'd eat it as my three squares a day for the rest of my life and be completely satisfied.
I cite irreconcilable differences.

Jolly
Member Avatar
Veni, vidi, vici
Want to move to Dublin?

When my daughter was there a few years ago, she tried in vain to find gumbo. Found one place that touted cajun cooking and it was terrible. She talked to the owner and the lady was from the Bahamas.

Fellas, there's gold in them thar hills....
ďAn armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.Ē - Heinlein

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
Aqua Letifer
Sep 12 2017, 12:56 PM
Mikhailoh
Sep 11 2017, 05:14 PM

:thumb:

My uncle was in the Merchant Marines for many, many years. New Orleans was his port of call. He learned from their cook, who was 100% fullblood cajun, how to make gumbo.

That ****... I believe would blow your mind. I'd eat it as my three squares a day for the rest of my life and be completely satisfied.
Do you have his recipe? Merchant Marine cooks are great. They have to be. It is easy to dispose of a body at sea.
"Itís difficult to win many games when we donít score touchdowns" - Marvin Lewis after the loss to the Texans Sept 14, 2017

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Mikhailoh
Sep 12 2017, 01:24 PM
Do you have his recipe? Merchant Marine cooks are great. They have to be. It is easy to dispose of a body at sea.
Nobody has that recipe. And when he makes it, he doesn't even let anyone into his apartment, let alone the kitchen.

Been that way for 20-plus years.
I cite irreconcilable differences.

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
One time I made shrimp gumbo from Paul Prudhomme's book, Louisiana Kitchen. To make the roux just so, he instructed me to stir it for 25 minutes, so I did. Dragged over a stool and turned on some good music, and stirred and stirred. It was a commitment, gnomesayin?

Carp. It wasn't gumbo, it was etouffee. :doh:

Anyway, since I'm this far . . . It turned out incredibly fabulous. The intention was to make it for a friend and her husband. I kept a little bit for moi and, in an act of sacrifice that should by itself guarantee my entry into heaven, I gave it to my friend. Later she told me she picked out all the shrimp and ate them before her husband got home, and all that was left for him was the sauce.

Amazingly, they're still together.
ďThe world wants to be deceived, so let it be deceived.Ē - Petronius, maybe.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
The husband got the best deal. Shrimp is fine, it it's all about the sauce. And yes, a proper roux is a commitment of time, but a labor of love.

Jolly
Member Avatar
Veni, vidi, vici
Catseye3
Sep 12 2017, 02:04 PM
One time I made shrimp gumbo from Paul Prudhomme's book, Louisiana Kitchen. To make the roux just so, he instructed me to stir it for 25 minutes, so I did. Dragged over a stool and turned on some good music, and stirred and stirred. It was a commitment, gnomesayin?

Carp. It wasn't gumbo, it was etouffee. :doh:

Anyway, since I'm this far . . . It turned out incredibly fabulous. The intention was to make it for a friend and her husband. I kept a little bit for moi and, in an act of sacrifice that should by itself guarantee my entry into heaven, I gave it to my friend. Later she told me she picked out all the shrimp and ate them before her husband got home, and all that was left for him was the sauce.

Amazingly, they're still together.
Can always cheat...

https://shop.savoiesfoods.com/savoie-sr-old-fashioned-roux-dark-152#.Wbh57ciGPcc

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply