Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Presidential Portraits in Federal Buildings
Topic Started: Sep 2 2017, 11:44 AM (852 Views)
Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

A facebook friend had his Congressperson try to figure out why the portraits of Mr. Trump weren't being displayed in Federal buildings.

Posted Image

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jolly
Member Avatar
The Truth is out there.
BS.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
From a Hill article dated 7/7: "Typically, taking the new portrait photo that hangs in over 7,000 agencies and office buildings around the country is among the first orders of business for a new president.

Once the photo is sent to the Government Publishing Office, portraits are distributed via the General Services Administration, as well as a few other agencies, for hanging at entrances and lobbies.

The issue in the Trump administration is that the White House hasn’t sent a photo to the GPO for printing.

"GPO is standing by to reproduce copies of the president and the vice president's photos for official use in Federal facilities, and will do so as soon as the official photo files are provided to us," said GPO spokesman Gary Somerset."
--------

So apparently the GSA sent the order, and it is the GPO that is awaiting the portrait photo. Making this letter kind of a flipoff, considering the query comes from a U.S. Congresswoman.

But that's bureaucracy for you: It's the other guys that are holding things up. Don't look at me, lady.
"If you don't risk anything, you risk even more." -- Erica Jong
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Davis
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
I thought this thread was about removing all portraits from our lurid history of white, male, racist, mysogynist, trigger happy and triggering Presidents.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
This is why it is time to cull the herd and can a whole lot of these lazy, entitled, disrespectful fucks.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball

Rainman
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Davis
Sep 2 2017, 01:45 PM
I thought this thread was about removing all portraits from our lurid history of white, male, racist, mysogynist, trigger happy and triggering Presidents.
:lol2:

Axtremus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Mikhailoh
Sep 2 2017, 02:11 PM
This is why it is time to cull the herd and can a whole lot of these lazy, entitled, disrespectful ****s.
Who do you have in kind when you reference those "lazy, entitled, disrespectful ****s" ?

Davis
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
Axtremus
Sep 2 2017, 08:03 PM
Mikhailoh
This is why it is time to cull the herd and can a whole lot of these lazy, entitled, disrespectful ****s.
Who do you have in kind when you reference those "lazy, entitled, disrespectful ****s" ?
I think he is saying that someone is playing games and is being a bit too clever and it is not going to end well for them. And more generally why do taxes payors pay so much money for people who can't do an easy job.

Axtremus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Davis
Sep 3 2017, 03:48 AM
Axtremus
Sep 2 2017, 08:03 PM
Mikhailoh
I think he is saying that someone is playing games and is being a bit too clever and it is not going to end well for them. And more generally why do taxes payors pay so much money for people who can't do an easy job.
I was asking for clarification on who he (or you) think those "someones" are.

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop
Axtremus
Sep 3 2017, 07:35 AM

I was asking for clarification on who he (or you) think those "someones" are.

Probably the same babies that took the Ws.

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
If they only need 7000 portraits I'm sure they could just borrow them from Trump.

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Winner!
Attempto!

Axtremus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
jon-nyc
Sep 3 2017, 08:39 AM
If they only need 7000 portraits I'm sure they could just borrow them from Trump.
As if Trump would let them use his portraits without licensing fees. You're so naïve!

Davis
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
Axtremus
Sep 3 2017, 09:41 AM
jon-nyc
Sep 3 2017, 08:39 AM
As if Trump would let them use his portraits without licensing fees. You're so naïve!
The price still might be better. :lol2:

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

Front page story in the post today

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/after-nine-months-federal-offices-are-still-waiting-to-hang-trumps-picture/2017/09/11/b36025c0-94b5-11e7-aace-04b862b2b3f3_story.html?nid

Quote:

Federal offices are still waiting to hang Trump’s picture

In the lobby of every federal building, just inside security turnstiles and before the elevator banks, a framed photograph of the president has always hung on the wall.

Not so anymore. Months after Donald Trump’s Jan. 20 inauguration, pictures of the president and Vice President Pence are missing from thousands of federal courthouses, laboratories, military installations, ports of entry, office suites and hallways, and from U.S. embassies abroad.

On the walls are empty picture hooks left when workers took down official portraits of President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden on Jan. 20. Federal employees and visitors passing through the hallways since then have puzzled over the missing images, wondering why the traditional signal of the formal transition of power has yet to occur.

The changeover appears to be tangled in a bit of red tape and mystery.

Federal agencies ordered photographs of their new commander in chief months ago. But they say they are still waiting for the Government Publishing Office, the printer of official portraits, to send them for distribution by the General Services Administration, which owns or leases 9,600 federal buildings across the country.

The Government Publishing Office says it has yet to receive the images from the White House. And the White House says the president and vice president have not yet decided when they will sit for the type of high-quality official photographs usually churned out by the modern GPO, continuing a portrait tradition that began after the Civil War.

“GPO is standing by to reproduce copies of the president and the vice president’s photos for official use in federal facilities and will do so as soon as the official photo files are provided to us,” agency spokesman Gary Somerset said in email.

He added, “I do not have a timeline on when GPO will receive those files from the White House.”

The missing pictures might seem to be a minor matter in an administration consumed with hurricane relief, the North Korean nuclear threat, an investigation into Trump campaign contacts with Russians, illegal immigration and other issues.

Yet to some, the absence of the ubiquitous official photos is puzzling, considering the chief executive’s fame was propelled by reality television and he has never been reluctant to promote his image. Some agencies have been so determined to show the president’s photograph that they’ve improvised, downloading a scowling — and some say unflattering — photo of Trump posted on the White House website.

“You would think Trump would want his portrait spattered all over federal buildings,” said Douglas Brinkley, a presidential historian who teaches at Rice University and has been critical of Trump.

Obama’s portrait was hung by the third month he was in office in 2009. The GPO printed more than 130,000 of his photographs in three sizes. Employees transferred the digital image from a computer to a printing plate and finally to one of the agency’s four color presses.

President Bill Clinton’s official photo was up by June 1993, the Associated Press reported.

White House spokeswoman Lindsay E. Walters said in a statement: “All agencies who have requested the President’s portrait have received a photo to display. We’re still in the process of creating the official portrait. Once it’s been produced, the White House photo office will distribute it to all of the agencies and other requests.”

The downloaded photos showing up at some government offices are photocopied and stuck into picture frames. The results can be pixelated or shadowy and too saturated. The president is in a dead-serious pose, with the U.S. flag and White House in the background.

Walters said agencies may also request a version of that portrait, as U.S. Customs and Border Protection has.

Still, the president’s image is missing, even in downloaded form, from most agencies — the State Department, the Energy Department, the Department of Housing and Urban Development, to name a few.

Experts say the tradition still carries deep significance.

“It’s a recognition that the president is the leader of the country but also the leader of the government,” said Max Stier, president and chief executive of the nonprofit Partnership for Public Service. “One aspect of that is to be physically manifested in the buildings.”

Michael Beschloss, another presidential historian, said the administration may just keep the makeshift image in place as a reflection of Trump’s view of the bureaucracy. “This act is intended to convey, deliberately or not, a president who wants to stand at one remove from his own federal government,” Beschloss said.

“If you look at official presidential portraits of the past half-century, the expression in virtually all of them is smiling or at least pleasant,” he said. “This one has a very fierce look, as if he wants to make sure that the world knows that he is a very tough guy.”

It’s not just the likeness of ­POTUS that’s missing. Many Cabinet secretaries’ images are absent, too, in some cases apparently because they don’t want to upstage the president.

Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt’s framed photo hangs in the agency’s Washington headquarters. But there is no photo of Secretary Ben Carson at HUD, or Secretary of State Rex Tillerson in the elegant, formal State Department lobby flanked by flags of the world.

“As soon as the White House official portraits of the President and Vice President are available, the State Department . . . will distribute the White House portraits and the official portrait of the Secretary of State to all offices as well as all posts abroad,” the agency said.

The empty walls are a stark contrast with the tenures of Tillerson’s predecessors, John F. Kerry and Hillary Clinton, whose photos greeting foreign diplomats and dignitaries covered the hallway.

Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke’s portrait went up in August, alongside the scowling-Trump image. The same Trump image is also up at the Defense Department headquarters at the Pentagon.

An official at another agency, who requested anonymity because he did not want to openly criticize the administration, was told by senior officials there that the photo of the president from the White House website was not an option because it is not official. “We are patiently waiting” for the GPO to print portraits, he said.

“We ordered hundreds of them back in January,” the official said. “I periodically ask what’s going on, because it’s noticed by employees in our agency that there’s nothing up.”

In February, the absence of a portrait left a Florida congressman who is a disabled veteran particularly unsettled when he visited a Department of Veterans Affairs hospital in West Palm Beach for a medical appointment. Some of his constituents had called him to complain that the hospital had not hung photographs of the president and the new VA secretary.

Rainman
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Maybe they should limit the pictures to those places where a security camera could clearly identify the people that will deface the picture?
There could be a sign, "Picture of President Donald Trump, and you are on camera."

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
Quote:

In the lobby of every federal building, just inside security turnstiles and before the elevator banks, a framed photograph of the president has always hung on the wall.

Not so anymore. Months after Donald Trump’s Jan. 20 inauguration, pictures of the president and Vice President Pence are missing from thousands of federal courthouses, laboratories, military installations, ports of entry, office suites and hallways, and from U.S. embassies abroad.

Boy, does that ever work for me.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
Why do you take pleasure in disrespecting the office?
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
Mikhailoh
Sep 12 2017, 08:05 AM
I totally respect the office. If you think I've been dissing the office all this time, you haven't been paying attention.

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Trump's greatness evokes feelings of inadequacy and petulance in normal people.
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
Catseye3
Sep 12 2017, 08:10 AM
Mikhailoh
I totally respect the office. If you think I've been dissing the office all this time, you haven't been paying attention.

No, you don't, or you would not support petulant crap like this that disrespects the office and the demoratic process. He won. He's the president. I didnt vote for him either. Get over it.

I can understand why you don't care for Trump. But Pence? What do you have against him? He's been a dedicated public servant. Do you just like to denigrate those who disagree with you?

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
I'm truly sorry you feel that way.

Rainman
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
D'Oh, we need one of your "funny" pictures right about now.

John Galt
Fulla-Carp
Mikhailoh
Sep 12 2017, 08:16 AM
Catseye3
Sep 12 2017, 08:10 AM
Mikhailoh

No, you don't, or you would not support petulant crap like this that disrespects the office and the demoratic process. He won. He's the president. I didnt vote for him either. Get over it.

I can understand why you don't care for Trump. But Pence? What do you have against him? He's been a dedicated public servant. Do you just like to denigrate those who disagree with you?

Seems like you're getting a little sensitive, Mik. Stuff like this usually rolls off your back. Just about anyone here could make an offhanded remark of the same type and it would get a pass. She never mentioned Pence. Maybe all she was saying is that she's fine with no pictures of any presidents in federal buildings. God knows I was happy when Illinois stopped putting the governor's name on all kinds of signage that had to be changed whenever there was a new person in office. Saves a ton of money.

:shrug:

Let us begin anew, remembering on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness.

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Now they only put Illinois governor's photos on Wanted posters.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: