Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Trump on Afghanistan We are not nation-building. We are killing terrorists
Topic Started: Aug 21 2017, 05:42 PM (138 Views)
Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

http://www.foxnews.com/

Quote:

Trump on Afghanistan We are not nation-building. We are killing terrorists

That was a terrific address.

He said the things we have been hoping to hear for a long time.

He told the military it is ok to win. Nice.

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
That is welcome - to have a CinC that truly respects the troops.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

John D'Oh
Member Avatar
MAMIL
One does not simply 'win' in Afghanistan.
What do you mean "we", have you got a mouse in your pocket?

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
Yeah, I wonder about that too. What would winning look like?
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball

Davis
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
Mikhailoh
Aug 22 2017, 03:44 AM
Yeah, I wonder about that too. What would winning look like?
I think Iraq.

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
I liked these comments from Bloomberg:

"President Trump has acknowledged what Americans have known for some time," said Husain Haqqani, a former ambassador of Pakistan to the U.S.

"Pakistan's regional goals as identified by its powerful military are at variance with America's interests," he said. "Trump has clearly decided that he will not let Pakistan block peace and stability in Afghanistan, and endanger itself in the process, while retaining its status as a U.S. ally."

And:

"In Afghanistan, the government welcomed the U.S. decision to abandon its deadline for troop withdrawal.

"The specification of a withdrawal date gave a signal to the Taliban and their sponsors," M. Ashraf Haidari, director general for policy and strategy and Afghanistan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said in a phone interview. "And so they exercised strategic patience."

However, from the same article:

"Afghan watchers have little confidence U.S. President Donald Trump's new approach to the 16-year conflict in Afghanistan will do much to alter the dynamics of America's longest war." There was no elaboration on this.

So AFAIK this is a good thing, but I guess the results must remain to be seen. I like how he busted Pakistan's shiite.

Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face. -- Mike Tyson

Davis
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
Interesting that no one pointed out that the timing was the same week as our annual drill with South Korea.

Axtremus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
From Breitbart:

http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2017/08/21/trump-debuts-afghanistan-strategy-we-are-not-nation-building-again-we-are-killing-terrorists/

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/08/21/donald-trump-echoes-obama-blank-check-rhetoric-in-afghanistan-speech/

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
Axtremus
Aug 22 2017, 04:49 AM
From Ax's second cite:

"I share the American people's frustration," Trump said. "I also share their frustration over a foreign policy that has spent too much time, energy, money, and most importantly lives, :rightarrow: trying to rebuild countries in our own image instead of pursuing our security interests above all other considerations." :yes:

But, on this --

"Despite 16 years of 'blood and treasure' spent in Afghanistan, the United States has no end in sight for the longest war in American history."

-- the Bloomberg article says this:

"Development takes time," Haidari said. "Sixteen years sounds like a lot of time. But in terms of development, it's not much."

Haidari is the Afghan director general for policy and strategy. I think it's important to understand what he meant with that statement. Is it a reference to their having a long long history? Or something to do with war development? But if Afghanistan and US have different views on this, it will affect everything, don't you think? Thoughts?

Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face. -- Mike Tyson

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Right now, not reading any more into it than what the President said. I think the place to try to understand his decision will be in the writings and comments of Mattis and the other top military guys in the Cabinet.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop
Come on guys, pay attention.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/paloma/daily-202/2017/08/22/daily-202-a-dozen-key-lines-from-trump-s-afghanistan-speech/599b8cf930fb0435b8208f72/

Quote:

From now on, victory will have a clear definition: attacking our enemies, obliterating ISIS, crushing al-Qaeda, preventing the Taliban from taking over the country, and stopping mass terror attacks against Americans before they emerge.

obliterating
crushing
preventing
stopping

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply