Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Destroying Symbols: Where Does It End?
Topic Started: Aug 16 2017, 06:45 AM (570 Views)
George K
Member Avatar
Finally
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/450500/destroying-confederate-statues-whats-end-point-washington-monument
Quote:

“Take down the monuments.” Let’s consider what that might mean to the Left. At Pepperdine University, a Christopher Columbus statue was taken down after a protest. There are statues of Columbus all over the country, including one in Central Park. If an angry mob surrounds that one and starts pulling it down, how will police react? A statue of Teddy Roosevelt at the American Museum of Natural History in New York City drew an angry crowd demanding its removal (and for Columbus Day to be renamed) last October. If TR doesn’t belong on the Upper West Side, how does he belong on Mount Rushmore?

Up in Boston, a writer hints that the city should remove local statues of historian Samuel Eliot Morison (who “used language in his writings on slavery that chafed readers”), Henry Cabot Lodge (“a staunch believer in American imperialism”), and even, I kid you not, Abraham Lincoln. (Thomas Ball, who sculpted the latter, wouldn’t let a black man into the house to pose for the statue, which depicts a freed slave kneeling at the president’s feet.) This argument isn’t on the fringe: It was contained in a column written by Pulitzer-shortlisted critic Ty Burr and published in one of the most prestigious newspapers in the country, the Boston Globe. My longtime colleague at the New York Post, film critic Lou Lumenick, carried the logic of Confederate-flag removal through to Confederate-film removal and called for Gone with the Wind to be placed in a museum.

Listen to the way the Left talks about the statues: “The truth is that the desperation to preserve this particular ‘heritage’ and ‘past’ is a facade for something more malignant,” wrote Christine Emba in the Washington Post. “It’s privileged status, not history, that’s being protected.” If this is a war on symbols of “privileged status,” it can never end.

Once every Confederate monument in the country is down, what then? How is a statue of an ordinary rebel soldier in Durham, N.C., more offensive than a gorgeous building-sized tribute to slave-owning racist Thomas Jefferson on the Tidal Basin? We are reaching the point where, if the Washington Monument were to be blown up tomorrow, it would be anyone’s guess whether jihadists or the “anti-fascist” Left did it.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

Given the way acetaminophen and alcohol don’t mix, I haven’t kept a bottle of Tylenol anywhere in the house for years.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Welp, evidently, it doesn't stop here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3173456/Vigilante-protesters-start-DIGGING-body-Confederate-general-Nathan-Forrest-KKK-leader-grave.html
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

Given the way acetaminophen and alcohol don’t mix, I haven’t kept a bottle of Tylenol anywhere in the house for years.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
At that point we need to start shooting them. Seriously. Mad dogs.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Every evolutionary psychologist will tell you that the only way to rid oneself of generations of accumulated oppression, is to dig up and rape the corpses of the oppressors.

DAY PLANNER:

WAKE UP
MAKE CEREAL TOAST AND COFFEE
SHOWER
DRIVE TO HOME DEPOT
GET SHOVEL
DRIVE TO CEMETARY
DIG UP OPPRESSOR
HAVE SAVAGE SEX WITH CORPSE
GO TO JOB INTERVIEW
NAIL IT
GET JOB
HAVE HAPPY PRODUCTIVE LIFE
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?

Mark
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Shooting them? WTF man? Arrest them for vandalism or attempted grave robbery, but shoot them? Wow.
___.___
(_]===*
o 0
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
Mad dogs. See original post.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
Posted Image

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
in South Atlanta, an area named Stone Mountain, there is a literal stone mountain that has Confederate leaders carved into the side of it. It faces Stone Mountain Park, and almost every weekend there are events, concerts, etc. held in the park, and after the sun goes down, people sit on blankets in the park and watch and listen to a giant laser show presented using the monument as a back drop.

If you've never been there and seen it, I suggest you go sometime. It's a very uplifting, and patriotic event. Very moving. For years, people of all colors, religions, political persuasions, etc. have gathered together to enjoy the evening's event. But now, in this day of "destroy anything you can", there is a movement underway to demand that the Stone Mountain monument be destroyed.

And when it happens, yes.... there will be bloodshed.
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
As a half breed injun, I demand that all statues and monuments of Abraham Lincoln be taken down..... hahahahaha

And get rid of that Christopher Columbus guy while you're at it... damn honkey couldn't even figure out where he was...

And while you're at it, stop making movies telling little kids that injuns scalp people. That was you french crackers...

#RED PRIVILEDGE
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
French crackers. Sounds tasty! Roquefort FTW!

Mark
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Larry
Aug 16 2017, 08:56 AM
As a half breed injun, I demand that all statues and monuments of Abraham Lincoln be taken down..... hahahahaha

And get rid of that Christopher Columbus guy while you're at it... damn honkey couldn't even figure out where he was...

And while you're at it, stop making movies telling little kids that injuns scalp people. That was you french crackers...

#RED PRIVILEDGE
:lol2: :smokin: Take it all down! Let's just erase history!

Granted, I am one who thinks statutes and monuments of and for human beings are never a good idea. If I remember correctly, some "good book" taught me that.
___.___
(_]===*
o 0
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells

Axtremus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
If you want to go all fundamental with the "no idolatry" thing, yeah, take down all statues. The Taliban does quite a bit of that.

BTW, taking down something is not always "erasing history," it can also be "adding to history." Taking down the Berlin Wall, for example, is considered historical rather than "erasing history." Taking down Saddam Hussein's Firdos Square statue in 2003 is similarly considered.

Mark
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
I was being sarcastic Ax. But still submit that worshiping other humans is not the right thing to do. Erecting a statue, is a form of worship.
___.___
(_]===*
o 0

Axtremus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Mark
Aug 16 2017, 02:08 PM
I was being sarcastic Ax. But still submit that worshiping other humans is not the right thing to do. Erecting a statue, is a form of worship.
No problem, Mark. Post #12 was not meant to address you specifically. It's general comment for TNCR generally.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
Ax, surely even you can see that the Berlin Wall and statues of Saddam represented current repression. The same cannot remotely be said of Confederate statues.

Steve Miller
Member Avatar
Pisa-Carp
Whoa. In Birmingham.

The times truly are a-changin'.
Wag more
Bark less

ivorythumper
Member Avatar
I am so adjective that I verb nouns!
Steve Miller
Aug 16 2017, 05:28 PM
Sounds like that State law needs to be challenged in court.
The dogma lives loudly within me.

John D'Oh
Member Avatar
MAMIL
God help us if the Queen ever realizes there's a bloody great statue of Oliver Cromwell right there in Westminster.

Seriously - you chaps hardly have any history as it is, and now you want to try and forget the bits you have statues of by getting rid of them?
What do you mean "we", have you got a mouse in your pocket?

ivorythumper
Member Avatar
John D'Oh
Aug 16 2017, 06:16 PM
God help us if the Queen ever realizes there's a bloody great statue of Oliver Cromwell right there in Westminster.

Seriously - you chaps hardly have any history as it is, and now you want to try and forget the bits you have statues of by getting rid of them?
Though they did disinter his dead body, hung it for public display, and beheaded the corpse....

Steve Miller
Member Avatar
Pisa-Carp
Looks like we may have hit a tipping point:

Mayors taking swift action to avoid becoming the next Charlottesville
Wag more
Bark less

ivorythumper
Member Avatar
WaPo has a paywall -- do you subscribe?

Steve Miller
Member Avatar
Pisa-Carp
ivorythumper
Aug 16 2017, 06:29 PM
WaPo has a paywall -- do you subscribe?
Yes, but I thought everyone got a couple free articles per month.

If you Google the headline you can get to the article in a couple other papers.
Wag more
Bark less

Renauda
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
John D'Oh
Aug 16 2017, 06:16 PM

:lol2:

Jolly
Member Avatar
The Truth is out there.
George needs to go...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/aug/16/rahm-emanuel-urged-by-chicago-pastor-to-remove-geo/
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Jolly
Member Avatar
The Truth is out there.
While we're at it, let's rename a few buildings.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/08/16/faneuil-hall-name-change-boston-group/
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: