Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
So maybe jolly was right; The civil war is coming...
Topic Started: Aug 12 2017, 10:31 AM (3,668 Views)
George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Jolly
Aug 18 2017, 03:04 PM
quelle suprise!

Edit: Wasn't that the group that endorsed Obama?

I'll wait for the denunciation by the former president, but I won't hold my breath.
Edited by George K, Aug 18 2017, 03:11 PM.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

Given the way acetaminophen and alcohol don’t mix, I haven’t kept a bottle of Tylenol anywhere in the house for years.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rainman
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Catseye3
Aug 18 2017, 09:57 AM
From Asia Times, http://www.atimes.com/unintended-consequences-charlottesville/
Dateline: Aug 18.

"In fact, black Americans want to keep the monuments to their old oppressors, by a margin of 44%-40% in a recent poll (white Americans want to keep them by a margin of 65%-25%). Although black leaders from the Congressional Black Caucus to the radical Black Lives Matter movement have made the Confederate monuments a wedge issue, there is no enthusiasm for Taliban tactics against relics of American history.

"What Trump actually said in his contentious August 15 press conference is that a lot of “good people” wanted to preserve Confederate statues, a point he reiterated in subsequent social media statements. While he denounced the neo-Nazis in Charlottesville, ... he indicated his sympathy with the citizens of Charlottesville who opposed their City Council’s decision to remove a statue of Confederate general Robert E. Lee. In other words, Trump took a position that Americans support by a roughly two-to-one majority.

"Polite opinion ... abhor Donald Trump for his alleged moral equivalence between the Charlottesville neo-Nazis and the demonstrators who opposed them. Trump did no such thing, but he did something less pardonable altogether: He split the country along the fracture line of political correctness.

"Trump violated the Prime Directive of Political Correctness, namely, to accept the most extreme demands of aggrieved minorities as the norm, and to identify any opposition to these demands with the worst sort of extremists. That follows the axiom of political correctness that anyone who disagrees with me is Hitler. Because some defenders of Confederate monuments like Hitler, ... political correctness concludes that anyone who wants to preserve Confederate monuments likes Hitler, too. And if you don’t denounce everyone who wants to preserve Confederate monuments, it means that you like Hitler, too."

(These segments are cherry-picked by me; the whole article is very interesting.)

Thanks Catseye. A good summation, at least for me.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
Posted Image
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
Jolly
Aug 18 2017, 09:36 AM
I'm thinking his concealed carry permit goes bye bye.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball

Jolly
Member Avatar
The Truth is out there.
Mikhailoh
Aug 19 2017, 10:08 AM
Jolly
That is correct. And, it might get worse...Cops are real ticky if you don't tell them you have a weapon, when you are being arrested...
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Jolly
Aug 19 2017, 10:52 AM
Cops are real ticky if you don't tell them you have a weapon, when you are being arrested...
From a blog I read:

Quote:

Thursday night, I'm driving down from Louisville to home in Tn. Late, but instead of stay the night, I want to beat the race traffic.

It's been raining, and it's foggy, and I'm driving a set of secondary highways through the Cumberland Gap in what I am sure is some amazing scenery on a clear day.

Come off one mtn a little past the Kentucky border into Virginia, and my right headlight goes.

10 minutes later, a Jonesville deputy has the rollers on behind me.

It's 3 a.m. The world is crazy. Your mind can't help but think of all the ways a simple stop can go wrong.

I pull into the first well-lit parking lot I find in their sleepy little town, put on the dome light, and hold the wheel at 10 and 2 until he taps on my window.

"You've got a headlight out"

"I know - it literally went out 10 minutes ago coming off that last mountain".

"License and registration" he asks.

I hand him my license and my CCW, telling him I am carrying, and it is in the door pocket, and that my registration is the glove box, and it's a mess in there, so it may take some looking.

He thanks me for letting me know re. the pistol, and tells me to take my time finding the registration.

I hand it to him, and he asks if he can take the gun from the car and put it on my roof while he calls everything in.

I know it's not a requirement, but I don't want a hassle. So I tell him sure and "Would you like to get it yourself? It's in the door-pocket, a round in the chamber, and the safety is on."

He agrees, I open the door for him, and he takes the piece and puts it on my car roof while he returns to his car.

A few minutes later, he comes back, says everything checks out, puts my pistol back in the door, and says to be sure I get the headlight fixed.

Then he says something really nice and unnecessary:

"It was a pleasure meeting you."

I presume it was because I was calm, courteous and let him know everything I was doing so there were no surprises.

But I appreciate that he repaid my respect.

Chris Rock will not steer you wrong when it comes to dealing with the police, it doesn't matter what your skin tone is.

- Mik, 6/14/08

Given the way acetaminophen and alcohol don’t mix, I haven’t kept a bottle of Tylenol anywhere in the house for years.

Jolly
Member Avatar
The Truth is out there.
Until recently, I used to do a good bit of business at the state prisons. When you go through the gate, you are subject to immediate search and seizure of all contraband. You better not have a stray can of beer hiding under the car seat, or it's a one-way trip to the holding cell, until the local sheriff's deputy comes by to collect you.

If you dig around my car, you can sometimes come across a weapon. The proper procedure when entering a prison in a vehicle is to promptly inform the gate guard you have a firearm and you wish to place it in custody. If they don't know you, they will ask to take the firearm out of your vehicle and then they will place it in a locked compartment and you can claim it when you exit.

If they know you well, you can hand the weapon to them, butt-first, while another officer carefully watches you with his hand very non-chalantly placed near his weapon. They don't take any chances.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
A cop pulling you over has more reason to be scared than you do. You *know* who's walking up to your car, you know he didn't pull you over to kill you, and you know that when you get home later, you will get to hug your wife and kids and then complain about thebticket you got that you didn't deserve... well you did but it still pisses you off that you got caught...

On the other hand, the cop is walking up to an unknown, every single time. Quite often he's having to keep his eye on two or more people at a time. Many times the person he has pulled over are drunk, drugged, acting suspicious already, or assholes who choose to react to being pulled over by displays of uncontrolled rage. And he does the several times a day, day after day.

Sometimes he just left a crash scene where he had to see dead mangled bodies, or had been shot at, and he's still a little rattled but he knows he has to not show it. And *every* day at some point he thinks of his loved ones and prays that he gets to make it home again.

I appreciate what these men and women do, and if one of them pulls me over, I stay calm, polite, compliant to a fault. I keep my hands where they can see them, and assure them they are safe.
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Frank_W
Member Avatar
Resident Misanthrope
Right on, Larry. That's how it's done. :thumb:
Anatomy Prof: "The human body has about 20 sq. meters of skin."
Me: "Man, that's a lot of lampshades!"

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
I got pulled over for doing 71 in a 55 up in Cheeseland. Mrs. George was with me, and the dog and bird were in the back seat.

I honestly didn't know why I got pulled over, because I was keeping pace with (and a safe distance from) the car in front of me. The cop approached from the *passenger* side of the car. We went through the dance: license, insurance, etc. Asked where we were headed, and we told him about the Cheddarshack about 8 miles away. He was surprised, when I went for the insurance card in the glove compartment, to see a bag of ground beef mixed with rice. I explained that it was for Oliver, who wasn't eating well lately.

He smiled.

He ran the license, plate, etc., and returned to the car. Asked if I've ever had a traffic ticket in Wisconsin.

"No, officer, I haven't....wait, wait! Yes, I did! I had a speeding ticket in 1997. Nothing since then, however."

He smiled again, and let me go.

- Mik, 6/14/08

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
Jolly
Aug 19 2017, 10:52 AM
Mikhailoh
Aug 19 2017, 10:08 AM
Jolly
That is correct. And, it might get worse...Cops are real ticky if you don't tell them you have a weapon, when you are being arrested...
I sure would be. With good reason.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
Oh yes... I want any LEO I deal with to be calm, secure and happy with my decidedly non-threatening behavior and respect shown.

It's a hell of a thing to walk up in the dark on God knows who doing God knows what. Turn that light on and put your hands where they can see them. It is courtesy, not capitulation.

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Suicide by cop has always been a thing. Only recently has it been a pathway to martyrdom.
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?

Jolly
Member Avatar
The Truth is out there.
Read on the internet:

Black people who were never slaves are fighting white people who were never Nazis over a confederate statue erected by Democrats, because Democrats can’t stand their own history anymore and somehow, at the end, it’s Trump’s fault.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
The statues are fighting back!!!!

Posted Image

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
So we are going to have a Civil War over the monuments to the Civil War. Right.
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.

Frank_W
Member Avatar
Resident Misanthrope
Mik, that's hilarious! :lol2:
Anatomy Prof: "The human body has about 20 sq. meters of skin."
Me: "Man, that's a lot of lampshades!"

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
Posted Image
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Axtremus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
ivorythumper
Aug 17 2017, 08:02 PM
Moonbat
Aug 17 2017, 01:09 PM
Quote:

She wasn't asking for it, but what about the black guy beating on the car with a baseball bat?

Does he have any responsibility for her death?

Haven't seen a guy beating on the car with a baseball bat in the video but unless you're suggesting that the driver panicked and stepped on the accelerator because he was afraid of said guy, then no.
This one.....
From the person who captured the video of the car being driven into the crowd:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/08/21/fake-news-charlottesville-215514

Jolly
Member Avatar
The Truth is out there.
Well, now I guess Burns is a conservative...

http://thefederalist.com/2017/08/21/need-good-dose-ken-burns-civil-war-documentary-right-now/

ivorythumper
Member Avatar
I am so adjective that I verb nouns!
Axtremus
Aug 21 2017, 07:45 PM
ivorythumper
Aug 17 2017, 08:02 PM
Moonbat
Aug 17 2017, 01:09 PM
Quote:

She wasn't asking for it, but what about the black guy beating on the car with a baseball bat?

Does he have any responsibility for her death?

Haven't seen a guy beating on the car with a baseball bat in the video but unless you're suggesting that the driver panicked and stepped on the accelerator because he was afraid of said guy, then no.
This one.....
From the person who captured the video of the car being driven into the crowd:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/08/21/fake-news-charlottesville-215514
The real takeaway is that people really need to learn better videography control.
The dogma lives loudly within me.

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/08/27/confederate-flag-sales-surge-after-charlottesville-violence.html

Quote:

Confederate flag sales surge after Charlottesville violence

Business is once again booming for the rebel flag.

The owner of Alabama Flag & Banner, likely the last remaining U.S. retailer to sell the Confederate flag, said that sales surged after the violent protests two weeks ago in Charlottesville.

“Everybody’s got a different reason [for buying Confederate flags],” store owner Belinda Kennedy told AL.com. “By and large, I think people are afraid they may not be able to get it one day.”

American flag makers stopped producing Confederate flags two years ago after a surge in orders following white supremacist Dylann Roof’s rampage at the Emanuel AME Church in Charleston, South Carolina, that resulted in the death of nine black churchgoers.

American flag makers stopped producing Confederate flags two years ago after a surge in orders following white supremacist Dylann Roof’s rampage at the Emanuel AME Church in Charleston, South Carolina, that resulted in the death of nine black churchgoers.

Depending on the amount of labor involved, Kennedy sells her Confederate flags for anywhere from $38.50 to $200.

Although Kennedy does not see herself as a crusader for the Confederate cause, she told AL.com that she does not accept that the flag, or monuments, are anything more than a symbol of heritage or history.

“When we start trying to rewrite our history, we are forgetting our history,” she told AL.com. “Does anybody really think by taking down monuments and renaming mountains and taking down Confederate flags, that we are really going to see racism end? That's not going to fix it. That comes from inside of people.”

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Renauda
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
:thumb: seriously.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Jolly
Aug 18 2017, 02:18 PM
Ike (Eisenhower, not Turner) speaks:
Quote:

August 1, 1960
Mr. Dwight D. Eisenhower
White House
Washington, D.C.

Dear Mr. President:

At the Republication Convention I heard you mention that you have the pictures of four (4) great Americans in your office, and that included in these is a picture of Robert E. Lee.

I do not understand how any American can include Robert E. Lee as a person to be emulated, and why the President of the United States of America should do so is certainly beyond me.

The most outstanding thing that Robert E. Lee did, was to devote his best efforts to the destruction of the United States Government, and I am sure that you do not say that a person who tries to destroy our Government is worthy of being held as one of our heroes.

Will you please tell me just why you hold him in such high esteem?

Sincerely yours,

Leon W. Scott
Quote:

August 9, 1960

Dear Dr. Scott:

Respecting your August 1 inquiry calling attention to my often expressed admiration for General Robert E. Lee, I would say, first, that we need to understand that at the time of the War between the States the issue of secession had remained unresolved for more than 70 years. Men of probity, character, public standing and unquestioned loyalty, both North and South, had disagreed over this issue as a matter of principle from the day our Constitution was adopted.

General Robert E. Lee was, in my estimation, one of the supremely gifted men produced by our Nation. He believed unswervingly in the Constitutional validity of his cause which until 1865 was still an arguable question in America; he was a poised and inspiring leader, true to the high trust reposed in him by millions of his fellow citizens; he was thoughtful yet demanding of his officers and men, forbearing with captured enemies but ingenious, unrelenting and personally courageous in battle, and never disheartened by a reverse or obstacle. Through all his many trials, he remained selfless almost to a fault and unfailing in his faith in God. Taken altogether, he was noble as a leader and as a man, and unsullied as I read the pages of our history.

From deep conviction, I simply say this: a nation of men of Lee’s calibre would be unconquerable in spirit and soul. Indeed, to the degree that present-day American youth will strive to emulate his rare qualities, including his devotion to this land as revealed in his painstaking efforts to help heal the Nation’s wounds once the bitter struggle was over, we, in our own time of danger in a divided world, will be strengthened and our love of freedom sustained.

Such are the reasons that I proudly display the picture of this great American on my office wall.

Sincerely,

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Source:
Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential Library, “Dwight D. Eisenhower, Records as President, 1953-1961; White House Central Files, President’s Personal File Series, Box 743, Folder: PPF 29-S Lee, General Robert E.”

- Mik, 6/14/08

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Quote:

August 1, 1960
Mr. Dwight D. Eisenhower
White House
Washington, D.C.

Dear Mr. President:

At the Republication Convention I heard you mention that you have the pictures of four (4) great Americans in your office, and that included in these is a picture of Robert E. Lee.

I do not understand how any American can include Robert E. Lee as a person to be emulated, and why the President of the United States of America should do so is certainly beyond me.

The most outstanding thing that Robert E. Lee did, was to devote his best efforts to the destruction of the United States Government, and I am sure that you do not say that a person who tries to destroy our Government is worthy of being held as one of our heroes.

Will you please tell me just why you hold him in such high esteem?

Sincerely yours,

Leon W. Scott

Yes, righteous dipsh!ts who appeal to their own admission of ignorance ("I do not understand... I am not sure...") as reason to be outraged, have existed throughout time and will always exist. This is a fine tradition of humanity and it's a real shame that our esteemed Leon W. Scott is almost assuredly no longer with us to share his important reactions to events.
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: