Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Fitbit Watch; A pulse oximeter?
Topic Started: Aug 12 2017, 04:15 AM (85 Views)
George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Supposedly, Fitbit is releasing a smartwatch at the end of the year.

Rumor has it it has a built-in pulse oximeter:

https://www.macobserver.com/news/pulse-oximeter-fitbit-smartwatch/

Posted Image
Quote:

The renderings were obtained by Wareable. Their sources say this is the final design and shows what we’ll see on store shelves.

The hint that this watch may also be able to track your blood oxygen levels comes from the red lights on the watch’s back. Fitbit may have gone with red in hopes of improving heart rate accuracy, although it could be for measuring blood oxygen, too.

Last week during Fitbit’s quarterly earnings report CEO James Park said, “Our smartwatch, which we believe will deliver the best health and fitness experience in the category, is on track for delivery ahead of the holiday season.”

Fitbit has been looking for a way to regain its place as the world’s top fitness tracker company as consumer interest in smart watches, and the Apple Watch in particular, grows.

The leaked renders give us more details about the watch than Fitbit has been willing to share, assuming they’re legit. To date, Fitbit has only said their watch will be great and it’s coming later this year.

Fitbit’s smartwatch doesn’t look remarkably different from any other watch on the market, much like the Blaze which is a fitness tracker with some smartphone connectivity. Aside from speculation that it’ll support blood oxygen monitoring, there isn’t much to set it apart from competing fitness-focused smartwatches.

The Fitbit watch will have its own app store so, unlike the Blaze, it’ll support more than its built-in apps. That sounds great, but Fitbit is still hobbled by refusing to support Apple’s HealthKit platform and its failure to adapt earlier when the market started shifting from dedicated fitness trackers to smartwatches.

This new smartwatch looks like Fitbit’s Hail Mary throw to keep the company moving forward. We’ll see if consumers want to catch that throw.
I'm so old that I remember when you had to *look* at the patient to see if they had enough oxygen rather than relying on a number.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

“IThe Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it.” - PJ O'Rourke
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jolly
Member Avatar
Veni, vidi, vici
A few years ago, I had to come up with a product and pitch it to a shark tank type panel. This stuff was all done on the fly, because this was simply a sales technique/pressure cooker kind of thing. I love stress inducing stuff like that.

My product was the Caduceus, a watch type product that not only functioned as a Fitbit, but also was a pulse-ox and contained a sweat sampling microarray that could give you your blood glucose levels and a couple of other things. If values obtained were outside of defined parameters, the device would automatically notify a call center, whereby the result would be evaluated and help would be called if needed.

They said the presentation was good, but doubted the product was anywhere near future... :lol2:
“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” - Heinlein

Davis
Junior Carp
I have a pulse oximeter, inherited actually, the type you stick your finger in. It really is not relevant for me and likely most not for relatively healthy people either. My reading hardly ever varies. I wouldn't pay extra for it, does this signal Fitbit is going after a different demographic?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Maybe at peak cardio paces it's an interesting number to track.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop
Some high end personal airplanes now come with a pulse oximeter on the instrument panel, just stick your finger in to check your oxygen.
The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply