Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Badass trees that won't die
Topic Started: Aug 10 2017, 05:07 AM (140 Views)
Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
.You're as young as you feel
http://www.boredpanda.com/trees-refuse-to-give-up/?utm_source=standing&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=slamsocial

I have an ash tree that had to be cut down due to emerald ash borer...but the roots are fine and now sending up bug suckers to start another tree.
"Just think of the reporters as being Democrat operatives with bylines, and it will all make sense." GK
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

The bugs went through here a few years ago and took almost all the Ash, and there were lots of them.

I lost three maybe 30-40 feet each. One guy lost about a dozen, it cost thousands to take them down.

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
One woodpecker to the other.... "Now *that's* a nice piece of ash...."
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

sue
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
those were great!

We've been having conversations about our many overgrown trees. Cute little things we planted, without giving due consideration as to how big they'd get. And some that previous owners put in. And some of the neighbour's that are spreading into our yard. Trees grow fast here.
Edited by sue, Aug 10 2017, 11:21 AM.
Those surface dwellers are such rubes, curled up in bed or something equally inane. - Horace

Renauda
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Mikhailoh
Aug 10 2017, 05:07 AM
http://www.boredpanda.com/trees-refuse-to-give-up/?utm_source=standing&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=slamsocial

I have an ash tree that had to be cut down due to emerald ash borer...but the roots are fine and now sending up bug suckers to start another tree.
If you have any stump left cut a piece or two the 3/8 copper water pipe sharp and drive it into the stump. It will stop sending out suckers by the next growing season. Alternately and allegedly not environmentally friendly, you can auger a few holes into the top of he stump and fill them with diesel everyday for week. No more suckers in very short order. I've done the latter several times. It works.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
.You're as young as you feel
I want the suckers. Eventually one or more will grow into a new ash tree. We now have a 3 foot tall ash bush.
"Just think of the reporters as being Democrat operatives with bylines, and it will all make sense." GK

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop
More insect food.
The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply