Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Argie.
Topic Started: Jul 17 2017, 06:47 AM (39 Views)
Jolly
Member Avatar
Veni, vidi, vici
The wife gets a nostalgia magazine... http://www.goodolddaysmagazine.com/

In this month's issue is a story that I can relate to. Back in the years, everything stopped on Saturday night for the Grand Ol Opry. If you were at my grandparents home, the stars weren't John Wayne or Bing Crosby, they were the Carter Family or Roy Acuff.

The story in the magazine occurs in the summer of 1944, in Arkansas. Family and neighbors decide a great birthday present for Argie Sullivan on her 19th birthday, would be a trip to see the Opry in person. Argie is married and has a baby that looks less than a year old. Sharing the costs, the group eventually numbers 13 people, counting the baby. A lot of planning went into the 350 mile trip.

On the day of departure, they all pile into Argie's husband's old truck. He's built wooden benches and sideboard for the little flatbed, but there isn't a seat for everyone, so some take turns standing up behind the cab. Mostly dirt roads at 30mph, crossing the Mississippi on a ferry, they finally arrive at an aunt's home who has no idea they are coming...Nobody has a telephone, not on the rural route, not in those days. But the aunt is glad to see them, folks make Baptist pallets on the floor with homemade quilts and everybody chows down on biscuits and sawmill gravy the next morning before completing the trip to Nashville.

They don't park downtown, the park out of town and walk in to the Ryman. They stay through the late show, not leaving until after midnight. Walking back to the truck, they talk excitedly about the great stars they've seen...Minnie, Roy and Ernest Tubb. They load up, drive aways out of town and camp in an open field. Rising early, they stop by the aunt's house and they way back and catch a good meal before they make the journey all the way back home, arriving up in the night.

People today would be mostly aghast at traveling under such hot, dusty conditions, especially with children and a baby. Guess people were made of sterner stuff back then, because most of them remember the trip as one of the highlights of their lives.

Including Argie, who is now 91 years old...

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” - Heinlein
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
I did stuff like that with friends, not my family.
"Just think of the reporters as being Democrat operatives with bylines, and it will all make sense." GK
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

taiwan_girl
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
Quote:

People today would be mostly aghast at traveling under such hot, dusty conditions, especially with children and a baby. Guess people were made of sterner stuff back then, because most of them remember the trip as one of the highlights of their lives.

I dont think that people were tougher back then, it is just that there was not alternatives.

When I was growing up at my grandparents in a small village in Taiwan, there was the toilet outside and no hot water (unless you boiled it). Washing clothes was by hand and then my grandmom would put them through this "squeezee" thing to get most of the water out. My grandparents did not complain and I did not either, but did not know any difference.

I think that growing up that way did influence me (and probably in a good way), but would not want to do it again. (I like being able to go to the bathroom at night without having to go outside!! LOL)
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply