Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Death of Second Run Cinema
Topic Started: May 18 2017, 07:05 AM (106 Views)
Jolly
Member Avatar
Veni, vidi, vici
No more 35mm films? Netflix? Shrinking windows between cinema release and DVD release?

I think the business model may still be good, as there is nothing like seeing a movie in a theater. And the profit is made from concessions, not the movie. Fifty pounds of popcorn, oil and popcorn salt can still be had wholesale for under $45. That makes a mountain of popcorn. And fountain cokes are cheap.

Can a second run cinema be a profitable business?

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Unaccountably, most people seem to enjoy leaving the house, so I guess there's a chance.
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

A clever gimmick will fill seats, the Drive-In worked for a while.

3D and Imax had some success and still do.

Comfortable reclining seats and nice sound systems are worth something.

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
I saw the thing coming out of the sky
2nd run still works, but it has to be done as events, not just running a one year old movie for two weeks and having 1 person in the theater. Alamo Theaters do a nice job of it.

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Luke's Dad
May 18 2017, 07:23 AM
2nd run still works, but it has to be done as events, not just running a one year old movie for two weeks and having 1 person in the theater. Alamo Theaters do a nice job of it.
:uparrow:

Usually a whole lot can be done with an idea, so long as the application of it is strong enough. (Whole lotta money can be made off of some very boring ideas newly executed.)
I cite irreconcilable differences.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
I saw the thing coming out of the sky
Aqua Letifer
May 18 2017, 07:30 AM
Luke's Dad

Usually a whole lot can be done with an idea, so long as the application of it is strong enough. (Whole lotta money can be made off of some very boring ideas newly executed.)
Oh man, do I have some ideas...i just need the funds...

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop
Luke's Dad
May 18 2017, 07:49 AM
Aqua Letifer
Luke's Dad

https://www.sba.gov/category/lender-navigation/sba-loan-programs
The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Luke's Dad
Aqua Letifer
Luke's Dad

Probably no better time to do that than right now, before we recess again.

...well, I mean, 1998 was a seriously good time* to do that, but we're kinda past that.

*I started college two years later. I was literally told by my high school teachers, friends' parents, campus guides and some first semester professors that we would all probably be offered jobs just for graduating. Not only did that not happen but the Great Recession hit a couple years after.

Still waitin' on those jobs.
I cite irreconcilable differences.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jolly
Member Avatar
Veni, vidi, vici
Aqua Letifer
May 18 2017, 08:19 AM
Luke's Dad
Aqua Letifer
Luke's Dad

Probably no better time to do that than right now, before we recess again.

...well, I mean, 1998 was a seriously good time* to do that, but we're kinda past that.

*I started college two years later. I was literally told by my high school teachers, friends' parents, campus guides and some first semester professors that we would all probably be offered jobs just for graduating. Not only did that not happen but the Great Recession hit a couple years after.

Still waitin' on those jobs.
In terms of real dollars, you will probably earn at least 20% less than somebody who graduated when I did, in 1981. OTOH, I probably have made 20% less than somebody who graduated in the mid-60's. That's assuming same kind of work over an average work career, etc.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply