Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Surprise: "Women's" Weightlifting Competition Won By... Man
Topic Started: Mar 20 2017, 04:09 PM (110 Views)
George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Champion

Quote:

A transgender weightlifter who transitioned from male to female caused outrage after he won a female competition Sunday.

Laurel Hubbard, born a male, outperformed his female competitors in the Australian International competition, reports AU.News.

Hubbard lifted about 591 pounds, compared to runner-up Iuniarra Sipaia, who lifted approximately 572 pounds.

One weightlifter pointed out that Hubbard competing in the women’s division could be unfair.

“We all deserve to be on an even playing field,” Deborah Acason, from the Australian Weightlifting Federation, told 1News Now. “It’s difficult when you believe that you’re not. If it’s not even, why are we doing the sport?”

Acason went on to add that some adjustments need to be made to even out the playing field.

“We’ve got two categories here, it’s been great that women can do the sport of weightlifting…but I think we need to look at a decision where we can give people in this situation, have a category where everyone can compete on an even playing field,” Acason said.

The Olympic Weightlifting New Zealand adheres to the policy set out by the International Olympic Committee (ICE). The ICE only recognizes male or female as genders, therefore transgender women are seen as female.

They must prove that their testosterone level “has been below 10 (nanomoles per litre) for at least 12 months prior to her first competition” in order to compete.

Some of Hubbard’s competitors seemed less than pleased with his win.

“She is who she is. That’s the way the politics…and what the New Zealanders have decided. I can’t say much more than that. She is seen as female and that’s the way it is,” Kaitlyn Fassina, who came in third place, said.

A sportswriter defended Hubbard being able to compete with other women.

‘Therefore she is completely entitled, I believe, to compete and anybody who says otherwise is either being, I think, very prejudiced, which is the main thing I would imagine, or just jealous of the fact that maybe this woman has come along and she’s better than the female competitors,” Phil Gifford said.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics." Thomas Sowell
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
I saw the thing coming out of the sky
Somebody posted a meme that was spot on.

If gender is a social construct, why did they have an International Women's Day?
Edited by Luke's Dad, Mar 20 2017, 06:09 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Because the social construct has failed to remind us that it's a social construct? I guess that must be it.
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop

I can remember when the speed of light was constant.

The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
I saw the thing coming out of the sky
Copper
Mar 20 2017, 06:18 PM

But what if it self identifies as sound?

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
You'd have to apply the ear test at that point.
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Luke's Dad
Mar 20 2017, 06:20 PM
Copper
Mar 20 2017, 06:18 PM

But what if it self identifies as sound?
Yeah, but what if the 572 lb self-identifies as 300 lb?
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics." Thomas Sowell

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply