Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Free "Tiny House" in Portland!
Topic Started: Mar 20 2017, 07:49 AM (132 Views)
George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Well, it's free if you let a homeless person live there.

What could possibly go wrong.

Quote:

Faced with an intractable homeless problem, officials in Portland are thinking inside the box.

A handful of homeless families will soon move into tiny, government-constructed modular units in the backyards of willing homeowners.

Portland officials are looking for four backyards to place its Accessory Dwelling Units, what some people may call a granny flat, or a tiny home minus wheels.

Under the pilot program taking effect this summer, the homeowners will take over the heated, fully plumbed tiny houses in five years and can use them for rental income.

The project, called A Place for You, is believed to be the first in the nation to recruit stable residents to address a homeless crisis that's gotten so bad the city last year declared a state of emergency and made it legal to sleep on the street.

Portland has an affordable rental shortage of 24,000 units and nearly 4,000 people sleep on the street, in a shelter or in transitional housing each night.

Residents just passed a $260 million housing bond, but it will be two years before those units are ready, said Mary Li, director of Multnomah County's new Idea Lab, which developed the concept.

'We said to ourselves, "What does FEMA do when they have to house 10,000 people after an earthquake?" Well, they grab a bunch of trailers and they plop them in a field,' Li said.

'Well, there's underutilized space in people's backyards. What if we provide a lower-cost - but very habitable option - in people's backyards?'

About 200 homeowners have signed up to learn more after Multnomah County's project was first made public this week by the city's alternative weekly paper.

A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

“IThe Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it.” - PJ O'Rourke
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Count me as a NIMBY on this one.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
jon-nyc
Mar 20 2017, 07:50 AM
Count me as a NIMBY on this one.
:lol2:
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

“IThe Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it.” - PJ O'Rourke

Mark
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
lol.

I would do it.

___.___
(_]===*
o 0
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
.You're as young as you feel
You'd make em now the yard.

Ok, I would.
"Just think of the reporters as being Democrat operatives with bylines, and it will all make sense." GK

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
I saw the thing coming out of the sky
I'd like to think that I would, but I've beenever burned.

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply