Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Death of the Shoe Salesman, Finally
Topic Started: Mar 18 2017, 02:31 PM (94 Views)
George K
Member Avatar
Finally
But what about Al Bundy?
Quote:

Virginia Postrel
Another storied occupation is on its way out and the replacement is neither robots nor foreign workers. We’re witnessing the death of the shoe salesman.

Macy’s recently said it would convert more shoe departments to an “open sell” format, where customers serve themselves from stacks of boxes. J.C. Penney is experimenting with the format. It’s the way sales have long worked at stores like DSW and TJX Co.’s Marshall’s and T.J. Maxx.

From Victorian-era evangelist Dwight L. Moody to comedian Kevin Hart, selling shoes has been the original calling of many a sweet talker. Before World War II, it was a common and respectable middle-class job, as demonstrated by Depression-era news accounts of men fallen on hard times who’d previously drawn “a good salary” selling shoes.

Over time, however, popular culture has come to treat shoe salesmen as pitiable and comic. “If you ever have a choice between selling shoes to young ladies and giving birth to a porcupine that is on fire, look into that second, less painful opportunity,” advised the late comedian Richard Jeni, who did a stint selling shoes when he was 17. The combination of demanding customers, grotesque feet, and eagerness for commissions makes for the shared discomfort that often fuels humor. Its most famous representative is, of course, the put-upon misanthrope Al Bundy of the sitcom “Married with Children,” with his corpulent clientele and thwarted sexual fantasies.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

“It’s very simple. In America we have the Evil Party and the Stupid Party. Sometimes these two parties get together and do something really evil and stupid. That’s called bipartisanship.”
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Shoes are weird. They have never been a source for me, other than smells. Women seem to like them though.
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Horace
Mar 18 2017, 02:35 PM
Shoes are weird. They have never been a source for me, other than smells. Women seem to like them though.
Yes. I own 3 pairs.

1) "Dress" shoes that I wear when I put on a suit - about 1 time per year.
2) "Everyday" deck shoes - Sperry Topsiders that are just a little dressy. It's my everyday show
3) A pair of sneakers I used for walking.

Used to wear clogs at work - still own them, but haven't put them on for a long time.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

“It’s very simple. In America we have the Evil Party and the Stupid Party. Sometimes these two parties get together and do something really evil and stupid. That’s called bipartisanship.”
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Killing people about shoes strikes me as something that CNN might have written about, some years ago.
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
.Go Fiona!
Omg, compared to george, well just call me Imelda.

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
I sold shoes at Kinney's when I was in high school. I got one percent commission on top of the 3.35 minimum wage. If I sold four pair per hour, that was an extra buck. Also we flirted with all the high school girls that trolled the malls all day. Life was good.

As for shoes I'm like George + 1 pair of boots for the snow and a pair of flip flops for the beach.

Jolly
Member Avatar
Veni, vidi, vici
My dad's first job when he got out of the army was selling shoes at J.C. Penney.

It's where he met my mom (she worked in ladies apparel).

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply