Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Price gouging pharma CEO arrested
Topic Started: Dec 17 2015, 05:51 AM (495 Views)
Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/martin-shkreli-arrested-fraud_5672a3cbe4b0648fe3024db9

Now on the face of it I know there is much cheering about karma coming around, and there is a passage here that states the investigation goes back to at least January, when the SEC recieved a letter about him. I'm no fan of this guy, but I cannot help but wonder if the investigation was not very active until the publicity. Is it even possible for someone NOT to violate the labyrinth of securities laws? Is this a case of 'ah, go ahead...we'll find something on him'?

Scary.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

John D'Oh
Member Avatar
MAMIL
Probably no scarier than Martha Stewart being sent to jail for insider trading.
What do you mean "we", have you got a mouse in your pocket?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
She was not sent to jail for insider trading, but for lying to investigators.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball

John D'Oh
Member Avatar
MAMIL
Personally, I always thought she was sent to prison for being famous.

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
I get the concern that he might really have been arrested for extreme unpopularity but SEC investigations take much more time than that. There's nothing to see here.
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
They can be accelerated. You may well be right and that thought crossed my mind as well, but it is still worth keeping an eye on.

kluurs
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
but I'm still sheriff of Maycomb County and Bob Ewell fell on his knife.

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Lawyer for Martin Shkreli hikes fees 5000%

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Testimony before Congress.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

I'd rather listen to an hour of Abba than an hour of The Beatles.
- Klaus, 4/29/18

John D'Oh
Member Avatar
MAMIL
I'm amazed that nobody has punched that smirking little prick in the face. Sure, he can avoid leaving the house, but family members have got to be tempted too.

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
In particular I would suspect the heads of the major pharmaceutical companies want him dead. He's a bigger threat to their industry than Bernie Sanders.

kluurs
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Thinking few would object if he's included in a prisoner swap with ISIS.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Martin Shkreli jailed after Facebook post about Hillary Clinton

Quote:

A federal judge on Wednesday revoked the $5 million bail of Martin Shkreli, the infamous former hedge fund manager convicted of defrauding investors, after prosecutors complained that his out-of-court antics posed a danger to the community.

While awaiting sentencing, Shkreli has harassed women online, prosecutors argued, and even offered his Facebook followers $5,000 to grab a strand of Hillary Clinton’s hair during her book tour. Shkreli, who faces up to 20 years in prison for securities fraud, apologized in writing, saying that he did not expect anyone to take his online comments seriously, and his attorneys pleaded with the judge Wednesday to give him another chance.

“The fact that he continues to remain unaware of the inappropriateness of his actions or words demonstrates to me that he may be creating ongoing risk to the community,” said U.S. District Judge Kiyo Matsumoto, in revoking his bond.

“This is a solicitation of assault. That is not protected by the First Amendment.”
Shkreli’s lawyers compared his online comments to the political humor of Kathy Griffin, who once held up a photograph of a faux bloody head of President Trump. They also compared him to Trump himself. During the campaign, Trump used “political hyperbole,” Shkreli’s attorneys said, when he said that Clinton, his Democratic opponent, would abolish the Second Amendment if elected. “By the way, and if she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do, folks. Although the Second Amendment people, maybe there is, I don’t know,” Trump said.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- Klaus, 4/29/18

Steve Miller
Member Avatar
Bull-Carp
Occasionally impolite.
Wag more
Bark less

Copper
Member Avatar
Shortstop
Steve Miller
Sep 13 2017, 05:45 PM
Occasionally impolite.

And convicted criminal.

Not fake.
The Confederate soldier was peculiar in that he was ever ready to fight, but never ready to submit to the routine duty and discipline of the camp or the march. The soldiers were determined to be soldiers after their own notions, and do their duty, for the love of it, as they thought best. Carlton McCarthy

Davis
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
Curious fellow... Must be smart but has social turrets for sure. A child in an adult body.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Seven Years

Quote:

Martin Shkreli, the former pharmaceutical executive who has been publicly excoriated for sharply increasing the price of a lifesaving HIV drug and derisively referred to as the "Pharma Bro," was sentenced on Friday to seven years in prison for defrauding investors in two failed hedge funds and a drug company he once ran.

It's less than half of the 15 years prosecutors were seeking, but it far exceeds the minimum 18-month sentence Shkreli's attorneys were hoping to secure for their client, whose 35th birthday is later this month.

Shkreli was found guilty on two counts of securities fraud for duping hedge fund investors in MSMB Capital Management and MSMB Healthcare about the financial performance of the two companies that he operated. And he was convicted of conspiracy to commit securities fraud for manipulating stock shares of Retrophin, a pharmaceutical company he created.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- Klaus, 4/29/18

Davis
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
There are many ways to use your 15 minutes of fame. This stupid idea had a stupid a stupid outcome, to quote a famous forumite.

Nobody's Sock
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Says a lot about our society when this guy is went to prison for frauding investors but not for price gouging life saving medicine.
Edited by Nobody's Sock, Mar 11 2018, 06:55 AM.
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known."

Davis
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
Nobody's Sock
Mar 11 2018, 06:54 AM
Says a lot about our society when this guy is went to prison for frauding investors but not for price gouging life saving medicine.
It’s called the rule of law. You can’t just make them up in our country even if you are a social justice warrior.

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply