Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Local drug-related death
Topic Started: Aug 27 2012, 08:32 PM (276 Views)
Riley
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
I never met him, but he was a friend of a friend of mine.

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/787576--barnesdale-death-accidental-family-says

What originally looked like a gruesome east end stabbing was in fact a drug-fueled accident that killed a 32-year-old father of three Friday evening.

“He did well and then he struggled, and then he did well and then he struggled,” Carrole Ribson said of her nephew, Owen Ribson, at his home Sunday afternoon where family gathered to grieve the loss of the young father.

“I’m not going to say he didn’t struggle with drugs and addiction.”

But he was really trying, and the last few months had been good ones, she said.

In April, Ribson and his family (wife Linda and their two young sons, two-and-a-half-year-old Loyal and five-month-old Honour) moved into a home he’d bought on Barnesdale Avenue North.

He was renovating the home while Linda studied to become a social worker, family said.

Then last week he slid, Carrole said.

He was back into drugs.

The family doesn’t know exactly what happened in the hours before Ribson collapsed and died on the porch at 92 Barnesdale Blvd. Friday, just a few blocks south down the street from the couple’s home.

What they do know is Ribson was high. Had injected himself in the neck. The needle broke.

Just before 7 p.m. he called his wife, told her to call 911.

She didn’t know where he was on the street. When Linda arrived at the house, screaming for someone to save her husband, he was dead with a knife in his throat.

“It was not a suicide. It was definitely an accidental death,” Carrole stressed.

“Instead of calling 911 like he should have, the drugs, he wasn’t thinking properly…the unfortunate part is the house he went to, they weren’t in their right mind either to help him,” she said.

Neighbours say 92 Barnesdale Blvd. is known for drug use.

Police are now piecing together just how and why the knife ended up in Ribson’s throat. No suspects are in custody and none are being sought.

As the investigation continues, Ribson’s family is focusing now on his young children. Ribson also has an 11-year-old daughter, Reanna, that Carrole is raising.

“He was a devoted husband,” his wife Linda said through tears Sunday. “He loved his kids.”

Family described Ribson as an outdoorsman.

“He was very handy,” Carrole said. “All kinds of tools around the house.”

He loved music and NFL football. The family will play Pink Floyd, his favourite band, at his funeral.

“My concern is not who he was in his death, but who he was in his life,” Carrole said.

Ribson’s mother, Kim, is now planning to move into her son’s home to help his wife through the next few months.

“He was my only son,” she said through tears.

A visitation for Ribson will take place at the Dodsworth and Brown Funeral Home (15 West Ave. North) Tuesday evening from 7 until 9 p.m. A funeral service will be held at the home Wednesday at 11:30 a.m.

In lieu of flowers, the family is requesting donations for Ribson’s wife and children.

“I don’t know what they’re going to do,” Carrole said.

mhayes@thespec.com

905-526-3214
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ivorythumper
Member Avatar
I am so adjective that I verb nouns!
What a waste. :(
The dogma lives loudly within me.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
Sad for his kids. But then it was already sad.
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there's a gun around, I want to be controlling it." Clint Eastwood, Pink Cadillac

Frank_W
Member Avatar
Resident Misanthrope
:( Damn.....
Anatomy Prof: "The human body has about 20 sq. meters of skin."
Me: "Man, that's a lot of lampshades!"

LWpianistin
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Loyal and Honour? What terrible names. Sad story too.
And how are you today?

sue
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
LWpianistin
Aug 28 2012, 05:52 AM
Loyal and Honour? What terrible names. Sad story too.
no kidding.

very sad story though. too bad he couldn't have got his **** together before having kids.

apple
one of the angels
gosh.. i'm sorry
it behooves me to behold

VPG
Member Avatar
Pisa-Carp
I'm sorry but,

“He was a devoted husband,” his wife Linda said through tears Sunday. “He loved his kids.”

Until one day he get's stoned and kills, and or maims one of them.

I'M NOT YELLING.........I'M ITALIAN...........THAT'S HOW WE TALK!

"People say that we're in a time when there are no heroes, they just don't know where to look."
Ronald Reagan, Inaugural, 1971

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply