Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
World War II B-17 Bomber – A Gas Station?; How to deal with government red tape.
Topic Started: May 11 2012, 06:43 AM (1,559 Views)
Copper
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!

http://asmba.typepad.com/veterans/

Posted Image

Quote:

World War II B-17 Bomber – A Gas Station?

Well somewhere SE of Portland, south of Milwaukie, Oregon on 99E you’ll find an amazing sight. Imagine gassing up under the wings of a B-17 World War II Bomber. Hmmm! Well, read all about it courtesy of www.RoadsideAmerica.com.

Gassing up under the wings of Victory! Bomber Gas has been a landmark in the Portland area since 1947, when it arrived and became the region's most unusual filling station. It stopped operating as a gas station in 1991, and has since been associated with the adjacent restaurant, where visitors could grab a bite and a souvenir Bomber place mat.

A serious restoration effort on the B-17G, aka "Lady Lacey" (after Art Lacey's British wife), has been underway at times. In 2012, the nose and cockpit had been removed.

Tipster Blair Shorney sent this account of how the plane ended up in Milwaukie:

Shortly after WWII a guy named Art Lacey went to Kansas to buy a surplus B-17. His idea was to fly it back to Oregon, jack it up in the air and make a gas station out of it. He paid $15,000for it. He asked which one was his and they said take whichever you want because there were miles of them. He didn't know how to fly a 4 engine airplane so he read the manual while he taxied around by himself. They said he couldn't take off alone so he put a mannequin in the co-pilot's seat and off he went.

He flew around a bit to get the feel of it and when he went to land he realized he needed a co-pilot to lower the landing gear. He crashed and totaled his plane and another on the ground. They wrote them both off as" wind damaged" and told him to pick out another. He talked a friend into being his co-pilot and off they went.

They flew to Palm Springs where Lacey wrote a hot check for gas then they headed for Oregon. They hit a snow storm and couldn't find their way so they went down below 1,000 feet and followed the railroad tracks. His partner sat in the nose section and would yell, "TUNNEL" when he saw one and Lacey would climb over the mountain.

They landed safely, he made good the hot check he wrote, and they started getting permits to move a B-17 on the state highway. The highway department repeatedly denied his permit and fought him tooth and nail for a long time so late one Saturday night he just moved it himself. He got a$10 ticket from the police for having too wide a load.

World War II Bomber Gas Station
Address: 13515 SE McLoughlin, Milwaukie, OR
Directions: SE of Portland, south of Milwaukie on 99E. From I-205, Milwaukie Exit- Hwy 224, go west to the end and turn south. Right on McLoughlin Blvd., in less than a mile plane is on right.

To all of you who are serving around the world and to those who have served...Thank you for your service!

I am a lib
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

big al
Member Avatar
Bull-Carp
Great story!

Big Al

"jesu, der simcha fun der man's farlangen."
-bachophile
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dan
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
Cool story. I'll have to drive down there next time I'm in Portland.

Copper
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!

I just checked the address on Google Earth. It looks like it is still there. Although some of the cockpit may be missing.
I am a lib

Kincaid
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
That's in my town. I never gassed up there and it no longer is a filling station, but I ate at the restaurant once (not memorable). Been to a few cars shows there and one plant sale.

The nose is gone all the way back to the wings. Off somewhere getting restored. Funds are tight for that as it is only enthusiasts and restaurant customers that donate. Years ago they had the tail off for restoration but that is back on now.

Portland is kind of cool in that we have that bomber, we have a submarine down at the river and somewhere safe they are keeping a restored WWII PT boat that I've only seen video of. Of course, 45 miles away is the Evergreen Air Museum that would take someone about six hours to tour the entire thing. I need to get out and see that but I'm always on the way to the beach or the way home when I pass by.
Edited by Kincaid, May 11 2012, 08:31 AM.
Kincaid - disgusted Republican Partisan since 2006.

Kincaid
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
BTW, I understand the bomber never saw action - it was completed too late in the war.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
America used to be just full of cool stuff like that. Then we got zoning. :lol2:

"Happiness equals reality minus expectations." - Tom Magliozzi

Red Rice
Member Avatar
Bull-Carp
Cool story. Gotta love that can-do spirit... Americans must have felt invincible after WWII.

The B-17 is a truly beautiful airplane, but surprisingly small in person.
Norris, you fvck up. You fvck up real bad.

Kincaid
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Agreed! It is very strange to see them next to an F-17 Tomcat for instance.

JBryan
Member Avatar
I am the grey one
If it was a commercial airliner it couldn't carry very many passengers but it could probably drop off their baggage in the right location.
"Any man who would make an X rated movie should be forced to take his daughter to see it". - John Wayne

There is a line we cross when we go from "I will believe it when I see it" to "I will see it when I believe it".

Henry II: I marvel at you after all these years. Still like a democratic drawbridge: going down for everybody.

Eleanor: At my age there's not much traffic anymore.

From The Lion in Winter.

Time stops when you stop breathing but does it slow down if you slow your breathing?

Copper
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Kincaid
May 11 2012, 08:31 AM

The nose is gone all the way back to the wings. Off somewhere getting restored. Funds are tight for that as it is only enthusiasts and restaurant customers that donate. Years ago they had the tail off for restoration but that is back on now.

Yes, you can clearly see it on Google Earth:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=13515+SE+McLoughlin,+Milwaukie,+OR&hl=en&ll=45.425351,-122.63435&spn=0.001052,0.0012&sll=38.953626,-77.353806&sspn=0.026365,0.038409&hnear=13515+SE+McLoughlin+Blvd,+Milwaukie,+Oregon+97222&t=h&z=20
I am a lib

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply