Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Santorum Suspends Campaign - Daughter Ill
Topic Started: Jan 29 2012, 08:15 AM (2,343 Views)
George K
Member Avatar
Finally
http://www.nationaljournal.com/2012-presidential-campaign/rick-santorum-s-daughter-admitted-to-hospital-in-philadelphia-20120128

Rick Santorum's Daughter Admitted to Hospital in Philadelphia

Rick Santorum admitted his three-year-old daughter, Isabella, to the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on Saturday, the campaign said in a statement.

Isabella was born with Trisomy 18, a rare genetic disorder. Most infants with this disorder don't live to see their first birthday.

The campaign has cancelled Santorum's Sunday morning Florida events, but said he will return to the Sunshine State as soon as possible.

Santorum has spoken on the campaign trail about his struggle with running for president while his daughter suffers from a serious illness.

"I don’t know whether her life is going to be measured — it’s always been measured — in days and weeks. Yet here I am," Santorum said in November. "Because I feel like I wouldn’t be a good dad if I wasn’t out here fighting for a country that would see the dignity in her and every other child."

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

More on Trisomy 18:

Quote:

Trisomy 18 (T18) (also known as Trisomy E or Edwards syndrome) is a genetic disorder caused by the presence of all or part of an extra 18th chromosome. It is named after John H. Edwards, who first described the syndrome in 1960.[1] It is the second most common autosomal trisomy, after Down Syndrome, that carries to term.

Trisomy 18 is caused by the presence of three – as opposed to two – copies of chromosome 18 in a fetus's or infant's cells. Edwards' syndrome occurs in around one in 6,000 live births and around 80 per cent of those affected are female.[2] The majority of fetuses with the syndrome die before birth.[2] The incidence increases as the mother's age increases. The syndrome has a very low rate of survival, resulting from heart abnormalities, kidney malformations, and other internal organ disorders.
Half of infants with this condition do not survive beyond the first week of life. [10] The median lifespan is 5–15 days.[11][12] About 8% of infants born with this syndrome survive longer than 1 year,[13] 1% of children live to age 10, typically in less severe cases of the mosaic Edwards syndrome.[7] The small percentage of babies with the full Edwards syndrome who survive birth and early infancy may live to adulthood, and children with mosaic or partial forms of this trisomy may have a completely different and much more hopeful prognosis.[14]
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

"There are 57 different genders, but politics is binary."
- David Burge, 7/29/18
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The 89th Key
Member Avatar

Wow!

apple
one of the angels
aawww.. and good for him.. May their remaining days be blessed. Bella is one of my favorite names.. poor little soul.
Edited by apple, Jan 29 2012, 10:01 AM.
it behooves me to behold

kluurs
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
sorry to hear - prayers for the family.

Amanda
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
I can't help thinking he is using his daughter's illness as an excuse for doing something he would have done anyhow. However, tragic, this is a longstanding problem and he is no less ambitious than he was when he decided to run for president. This plays better for the crowd, and his campaign wasn't going anywhere.
[size=5]
We should tolerate eccentricity in others, almost to the point of lunacy, provided no one else is harmed.
[/size]

"Daily Telegraph", London July 27 2005

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
His daughter was hospitalized for pneumonia. She is 3 years old.

That's not the kind of thing someone plans.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

somebody else's sock
Middle Aged Carp
Amanda
Jan 29 2012, 05:19 PM
I can't help thinking he is using his daughter's illness as an excuse for doing something he would have done anyhow. However, tragic, this is a longstanding problem and he is no less ambitious than he was when he decided to run for president. This plays better for the crowd, and his campaign wasn't going anywhere.
:sad:

brenda
Member Avatar
That's a hard life for the whole family when someone so little is ill. Best wishes to all of them, and especially for the little girl.
“Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
~A.A. Milne

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
Wow. That is an awfully cynical judgement.
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there's a gun around, I want to be controlling it." Clint Eastwood, Pink Cadillac

Amanda
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
Mikhailoh
Jan 29 2012, 05:45 PM
Wow. That is an awfully cynical judgement.
True. I was going to preface my observation with precisely that disclaimer. It just seems the way Washington operates. Thinking of John Edwards among others - admittedly, he is a special case. It appears to me that when a candidate or in-office politician is faced with an unpleasant politically motivated decision (withdrawing from a campaign, resigning from office - after a problem or scandal arises ), then and only then do they remember they need to "spend more time with their family" , etc.

Yes, the terminal illness of a child is ALWAYS tragic. My comment does NOT imply he is not deeply affected. Let's put it this way, however - if his candidacy were going great guns, do you think he would be withdrawing now? Surely, this possibility was discussed with his wife and his child's doctors before he decided to run for office - including contingency plans. :shifty:
[size=5]
We should tolerate eccentricity in others, almost to the point of lunacy, provided no one else is harmed.
[/size]

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
https://twitter.com/#!/shushwalshe/statuses/163791229472079872

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

Amanda
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
I specialize in channeling politicians - besides I live in PA. (Did or didn't this call attention to - and elicit more sympathy for - this family tragedy? Did you know about it before?)
Edited by Amanda, Jan 29 2012, 06:08 PM.
[size=5]
[/size]

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
Sanatorum's campaign has done nothing but rise in the past few weeks.
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there's a gun around, I want to be controlling it." Clint Eastwood, Pink Cadillac

somebody else's sock
Middle Aged Carp
Amanda
Jan 29 2012, 06:05 PM
Did you know about it before?
I did. And I'm not a supporter of Santorum nor am I following the GOP candidates at all closely.
Edited by somebody else's sock, Jan 29 2012, 06:13 PM.

Amanda
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
somebody else's sock
Jan 29 2012, 06:10 PM
Amanda
Jan 29 2012, 06:05 PM
Did you know about it before?
I did. And I'm not a supporter of Santorum.
Not sure just what is being referenced, but I had heard about it. Doesn't mean it's universal knowledge. Fact is, the whole timeline with his campaign is awfully unclear as this blog indicates. I stand with my previous question, about the "what ifs". In all fairness, it's certainly not just him. I frankly doubt that most people are all that in touch with their motives especially when they WANT to believe something about themselves (as most of us do).

http://blog.4president.us/2012/rick-santorum/
Edited by Amanda, Jan 29 2012, 06:15 PM.
[size=5]
[/size]

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
I don't hold politicians in any high regard, but this is a pretty lofty conjecture supported by not very much evidence.
I cite irreconcilable differences.

somebody else's sock
Middle Aged Carp
Aqua Letifer
Jan 29 2012, 06:16 PM
I don't hold politicians in any high regard, but this is a pretty lofty conjecture supported by not very much evidence.
:uparrow:

What he said (much better than I did).

Amanda
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
Mikhailoh
Jan 29 2012, 06:07 PM
Sanatorum's campaign has done nothing but rise in the past few weeks.
I admit this is quite news to me (not following it closely). My comment was based primarily on an assumption. His daughter didn't JUST get sick...
[size=5]
[/size]

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
Of course not. But his daughter did just get hospitalized, and you postulated that he would not have suspended his campaign if it were going well. In fact, his campaign is doing better than ever, and he did suspend it.

Amanda
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
FWIW
Quote:

Santorum has all but conceded the race here, acknowledging that he has neither the money nor organization to compete in the massive state, where about 2 million Republicans will cast ballots in Tuesday’s primary. The winner will get all 50 delegates.

Santorum has no ads on television or radio in Florida, and it’s unclear whether he will here election night. While his conservative, blue-collar message is popular here and he has drawn decent-size crowds, he has not had the kind of presence in this state to get that message out.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/post/rick-santorums-children-take-his-place-on-the-campaign-stage-in-florida/2012/01/29/gIQAGKlZaQ_blog.html?tid=pm_politics_pop
[size=5]
[/size]

somebody else's sock
Middle Aged Carp
With all due respect, Amanda, you may want to recall the first rule of holes: When you're in one, stop digging.

Amanda
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
Now say something about Hitler and I'll KNOW I've won! ;)
[size=5]
[/size]

ivorythumper
Member Avatar
I am so adjective that I verb nouns!
Looks like good news for dear little Bella. :singdance:
The dogma lives loudly within me.

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Great. :smile:
I cite irreconcilable differences.

apple
one of the angels
Amanda
Jan 29 2012, 05:19 PM
he could have used his daughter's disability as a campaigning prolife issue but didn't.. maybe he learned from Palin it's best not to exploit the family.
it behooves me to behold

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: