Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Germany's unemployment rate lowest since 1991
Topic Started: Jan 3 2012, 06:27 AM (232 Views)
Axtremus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16390429

Despite the Euro Zone crisis, Germany is exporting itself to prosperity.

So who has been buying all the German cars?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
It's Mark's fault. George's too.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Actually most of the new jobs are in the small and medium-sized businesses and not in the large car makers.

Ironically, the current economic success is in part due to social security cuts (so-called "Hartz concept") that were performed by the former left-wing government in 2003-2005. The irony is that the same left-wing parties nowadays wish that they had never implemented these reforms. It is also ironic that the conservative party CDU, which is formally more 'market-oriented', does not have the guts to continue these reforms and has even reversed some of the cuts.
Trifonov Fleisher Klaus Sokolov Zimmerman
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Axtremus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Klaus
Jan 3 2012, 07:30 AM
... the current economic success is in part due to social security cuts (so-called "Hartz concept") ...
OK, I had to look up "Hartz concept" to understand what you're talking about.

Wikipedia's summary of the "Hartz concept": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartz_concept

Very different from what we Americans call "Social Security" (two capital S'es).

JBryan
Member Avatar
I am the grey one
Yes, two capital S's mean something different in Germany.
"Any man who would make an X rated movie should be forced to take his daughter to see it". - John Wayne

There is a line we cross when we go from "I will believe it when I see it" to "I will see it when I believe it".

Henry II: I marvel at you after all these years. Still like a democratic drawbridge: going down for everybody.

Eleanor: At my age there's not much traffic anymore.

From The Lion in Winter.

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Axtremus
Jan 3 2012, 07:37 AM
Very different from what we Americans call "Social Security" (two capital S'es).
Isn't Social Security in the US also about unemployment programs and benefits and similar issues?

The main idea of the Hartz concept was to increase the pressure on unemployed people to look for a job (by cutting benefits quickly) while at the same time providing more opportunities to get or create a job.
Trifonov Fleisher Klaus Sokolov Zimmerman
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

JBryan
Member Avatar
I am the grey one
Social Security in the US is apart from unemployment programs. It is a separate entity funded by payroll taxes dedicated to the program and provides retirement benefits along with disability and survivor benefits.
"Any man who would make an X rated movie should be forced to take his daughter to see it". - John Wayne

There is a line we cross when we go from "I will believe it when I see it" to "I will see it when I believe it".

Henry II: I marvel at you after all these years. Still like a democratic drawbridge: going down for everybody.

Eleanor: At my age there's not much traffic anymore.

From The Lion in Winter.

Axtremus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Klaus
Jan 3 2012, 07:54 AM
Axtremus
Jan 3 2012, 07:37 AM
Isn't Social Security in the US also about unemployment programs and benefits and similar issues?
This first sentence from Wikipedia on Social Security sums it up best: In the United States, Social Security refers to the federal Old-Age, Survivors, and Disability Insurance (OASDI) program.

The Social Security Act (originally enacted in 1935) and its various amendments do touch on many other social/welfare programs. But in every day speech, when an American say "Social Security," he usually refers to the OASDI program (more the "Old-Age, Survivors" parts and less the "Disability" part).

Kincaid
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
The "Hartz Concept" sounds a bit like the Welfare reforms enacted under Clinton in the 90's.
Edited by Kincaid, Jan 3 2012, 10:57 AM.
Kincaid - disgusted Republican Partisan since 2006.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply