Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Question re 1099 vs w-4 implications for freelance work
Topic Started: Jun 22 2011, 06:24 AM (848 Views)
jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Holy ****ing ****
My wife just started a short freelance gig at an advertising firm today. They asked her to fill out a W-4 instead of a 1099. After some quick research, it seems to me that its probably justifiable since she works on premises and they direct her work.

What are the implications of this other than the fact that they'll withhold some taxes?
I'm low-info, and I vote.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Axtremus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
The employer has to do more work for W-4 than for 1099. So they better have a good reason or they're taking on more work for naught.

I do not know of any adverse implication on the part of the employed.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

JBryan
Member Avatar
I am the grey one
Employers are very keen to not having the IRS come in and redesignate a contractor as an employee. There are certain financial penalties involved. Taking direction from anyone but the immediate contractee is one test of whether or not you are truly a contractor.

I have been working on a 1099 for the past 16 years. Any time anyone within the company I contract with attempts to assert managerial muscle over me I am quick to point out that I am under the direction of no one except the guy who signed my contract (the president of the company) and even then it is only consistent with the terms of the contract.

I don't think your wife should experience any problems other than the FICA withholdings. Her employer is probably retaining her as a short term employee out of an abundance of caution.
"Any man who would make an X rated movie should be forced to take his daughter to see it". - John Wayne

There is a line we cross when we go from "I will believe it when I see it" to "I will see it when I believe it".

Henry II: I marvel at you after all these years. Still like a democratic drawbridge: going down for everybody.

Eleanor: At my age there's not much traffic anymore.

From The Lion in Winter.

Time stops when you stop breathing but does it slow down if you slow your breathing?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Holy ****ing ****
Thanks. I figured that was what they were doing.

I'm low-info, and I vote.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
Yep. Control over hours, place, time and/or duties are key indicators of an employee as opposed to a contractor. These guys are probably right to do so. If Rachel did not pay her taxes the IRS would probably come back to the employer.
"Happiness equals reality minus expectations." - Tom Magliozzi

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register Now
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply