Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Equinox Louvered Roof; Anybody know anything about these?
Topic Started: Mar 10 2011, 09:40 PM (6,824 Views)
PattyP
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
My patio is on the south side of the house. Needless to say, it will be too hot during the summer months to be outside during some of the daylight hours. I have an umbrella, but when the wind blows, it's just too gusty to have it open.

The Equinox Louvered Roof looks like it could be a viable solution but I'd hate to spring for one and not have it perform well. Anybody have one or know about them?

http://equinoxroof.com/

A tired dog is a good dog.

"Dogs' lives are too short...their only fault, really."
A.S. Turnbull
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ivorythumper
Member Avatar
I am so adjective that I verb nouns!
I'd be leery of it -- I suspect between installation and maintenance the life cycle energy savings would be a long time to recoup the cost. Maybe post a picture of the area you need shade to see if this makes sense...
Dyslexics are teople poo.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
How about a nice retractable awning?
"Happiness equals reality minus expectations." - Tom Magliozzi

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Holy ****ing ****
Yeah, thats what I was going to suggest. I've seen some pretty tasteful ones.
I'm low-info, and I vote.

apple
one of the angels
Mr. apple built one, easily, over a deck.. boards that could deflect the sunshine and were adjustable altho they needn't be adjustable. You might contact a deck builder. Ours looked just like that and we never adjusted the boards which provided shade in the sun at the proper time... so the adjustment mechanism was a bit of a waste. I could take a picture but it looks pretty much like your photo but made of those big planks. It's lasted a good ten years with no signs of decay.
it behooves me to behold

ivorythumper
Member Avatar
apple
Mar 11 2011, 06:51 AM
Mr. apple built one, easily, over a deck.. boards that could deflect the sunshine and were adjustable altho they needn't be adjustable. You might contact a deck builder. Ours looked just like that and we never adjusted the boards which provided shade in the sun at the proper time... so the adjustment mechanism was a bit of a waste. I could take a picture but it looks pretty much like your photo but made of those big planks. It's lasted a good ten years with no signs of decay.
+1

You can calculate the solar angle to let in the sun in the fall through spring, and block it in the summer.

Kincaid
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
I suspect the cost for the Equinox system would be very high.

I doubt it is completely waterproof when closed - a bit of wind would, I'm sure, allow some water to puddle up or seep thru the slats. I would most be concerned about the solar system and electric motors. I'd prefer to skip that cost and maintenance issue for a hand crank system (though if it could move thru the day to track the sun as desired that would be really cool. I noticed the solar and motor components have only a three-year warranty. I'd want it much longer than that, as I suspect it will be an issue. I'd think a pergola would provide most of what is desired. I'm not a big fan of those awnings - not that they are unattractive, as they are okay on that front - but they are susceptible to wind damage and they can't be very large - the farther they extend from the house the lower the far end is.
Edited by Kincaid, Mar 11 2011, 11:42 AM.
Kincaid - disgusted Republican Partisan since 2006.

Kincaid
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Because the patio is on the south side of the house, you just need a regular pergola to give shade all day long (using 2x6 or 2x8 boards, even 2x10 if the scale of the pergola is large enough to support that size visually) but they'll still let a lot of ambient light in so that the patio isn't dark - just shaded.

It won't be water proof but then only a solid roof is, IMO, and those cut out the light to the inside of the house heavily, even if you have sky lights.

I also recommend planting a tree there!

apple
one of the angels
I would think a product like that may fail.. Mr. apple hasn't had too much luck with prefabricated things like that.

On this page are deck coverings that will give you an idea of what I am talking about. Rather than the planks on top being perpendicular, they are slanted to block the sun. a 'roof' could make the house significantly cooler because the area of heat from the sun at the deck does not get so hot.
it behooves me to behold

PattyP
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
I have considered a pergala, too, but my sis and BIL found this place at the home show recently. Some of the neighbors have pergalas and they look nice. I was just curious about the Equinox. I agree that the more moving parts, the more chance for failure.

A.S. Turnbull

Kincaid
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Personally, I love it. I'd just feel better if it was mechanical and that I could crank it myself.

As for your south facing patio in Texas (I assume it's concrete or stone), you have my condolences. However, I suppose on cool clear evenings the warm rock will feel good underfoot!

Jolly
Member Avatar
Veni, vidi, vici
Down in Florida, you see this a lot:

Posted Image

Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare. - Anonymous Internet Poster

PattyP
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
A pergala with a retractable awning? Now that's something I never would have thought of. Interesting.

A.S. Turnbull

Troy Eckstein
ivorythumper
Mar 10 2011, 10:02 PM
I'd be leery of it -- I suspect between installation and maintenance the life cycle energy savings would be a long time to recoup the cost. Maybe post a picture of the area you need shade to see if this makes sense...
Hello, excuse me while I cut into this conversation. The Equinox Louvered roof system patio Cover is now half the cost of it's predecessors. The equinox Louvered roof System is now available to everyone that is budgeting for a patio Cover. This system is extremely affordable and dependable. I have been selling this product for several years now and I have not one service call or complaint. Be careful jumping to any conclusion regarding costs or dependability unless you have actually had one installed on your home. canvas awning last a few years because the fabric falls apart. You can visit my website for more info. www.alumawoodfactorydirect.net. :blueunsure:

ivorythumper
Member Avatar
Troy Eckstein
Feb 20 2013, 05:50 PM
ivorythumper
Mar 10 2011, 10:02 PM
Hello, excuse me while I cut into this conversation. The Equinox Louvered roof system patio Cover is now half the cost of it's predecessors. The equinox Louvered roof System is now available to everyone that is budgeting for a patio Cover. This system is extremely affordable and dependable. I have been selling this product for several years now and I have not one service call or complaint. Be careful jumping to any conclusion regarding costs or dependability unless you have actually had one installed on your home. canvas awning last a few years because the fabric falls apart. You can visit my website for more info. www.alumawoodfactorydirect.net. :blueunsure:
Thanks Troy -- about how much per square foot does this system cost? (figure, say, an 8' deep x 20' wide patio, standard finishes).

Troy Eckstein
To keep costs reasonable, it is important to have zero waste when designing your Equinox louvered roof system. I will try to stay simple. The louvers come in three sizes, 8', 10' and 12' including the 2" x 8" extruded 1/8" in thickness aluminum beam on both sides of the louvers, The extruded 2" x 8" beam comes in various lengths sizes 18', 20' & 24'. The gutter system wraps around the inside of the 2" x 8" beam on all four sides to catch rain water. The aluminum posts are 4" x 4" x 8', 10' & 12' lengths and can be bolted directly to your concrete slab. I am assuming your 20' x 8' size is attached to your house wall and is not freestanding with a one bay system ( meaning one section control by one motor). You will also need 1 motor, battery, regulator, solar cell, 2 remote controls and 2-8' posts as well. Your size would not have waste. I would estimate this size without installation and delivery to be around $6,400.00. If you have a low roof and have height limitation I would recommend a roof mount. This photo posted shows a roof mount http://alumawoodfactorydirect.net/equinox-tm-louvered?album=12&gallery=6
this roof mount option requires extra cost. Installation costs would be around $700.00 give or take... I hope this helps.

brenda
Member Avatar
Troy, you can't leave until you post a recipe in the TNCR cookbook. Just thought you should know that.

Dewey
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Dang, I felt a twinge when I didn't originally recognize this as a resurrected thread and saw apple's post. :sad:
"By nature, i prefer brevity." - John Calvin, Institutes of the Christian Religion, p. 685.

"Never waste your time trying to explain yourself to people who are committed to misunderstanding you." - Anonymous

"Oh sure, every once in a while a turd floated by, but other than that it was just fine." - Joe A., 2011

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Holy ****ing ****
Hey Troy, I have a confession to make. Aqua and I gang-banged your sister.

brenda
Member Avatar
jon-nyc
Feb 20 2013, 08:45 PM
Hey, let him get that recipe posted first, OK?

Dewey
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
:lol:
"By nature, i prefer brevity." - John Calvin, Institutes of the Christian Religion, p. 685.

"Never waste your time trying to explain yourself to people who are committed to misunderstanding you." - Anonymous

"Oh sure, every once in a while a turd floated by, but other than that it was just fine." - Joe A., 2011

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Holy ****ing ****
brenda
Feb 20 2013, 08:47 PM
jon-nyc
Not to worry, his sister has a fabulous eggs benedict recipe to post.

brenda
Member Avatar
jon-nyc
Feb 20 2013, 08:48 PM
brenda
Feb 20 2013, 08:47 PM
jon-nyc
Not to worry, his sister has a fabulous eggs benedict recipe to post.
Aren't you worried about cholesterol? Oh wait, you and Aqua probably have other .... ahem .... medical issues to worry about since that incident with Troy's sister.

OK, never mind.

Troy, go ahead and post whatever is one of your current favorite recipes.
ktnxbai

brenda
Member Avatar
Troy, you're kind of fun. I think we like you already.

Please don't be afraid. :lol:

ivorythumper
Member Avatar
Troy Eckstein
Feb 20 2013, 08:42 PM
To keep costs reasonable, it is important to have zero waste when designing your Equinox louvered roof system. I will try to stay simple. The louvers come in three sizes, 8', 10' and 12' including the 2" x 8" extruded 1/8" in thickness aluminum beam on both sides of the louvers, The extruded 2" x 8" beam comes in various lengths sizes 18', 20' & 24'. The gutter system wraps around the inside of the 2" x 8" beam on all four sides to catch rain water. The aluminum posts are 4" x 4" x 8', 10' & 12' lengths and can be bolted directly to your concrete slab. I am assuming your 20' x 8' size is attached to your house wall and is not freestanding with a one bay system ( meaning one section control by one motor). You will also need 1 motor, battery, regulator, solar cell, 2 remote controls and 2-8' posts as well. Your size would not have waste. I would estimate this size without installation and delivery to be around $6,400.00. If you have a low roof and have height limitation I would recommend a roof mount. This photo posted shows a roof mount http://alumawoodfactorydirect.net/equinox-tm-louvered?album=12&gallery=6
this roof mount option requires extra cost. Installation costs would be around $700.00 give or take... I hope this helps.
That does help a lot -- I might be calling for a project I'm working on.

Stay awhile -- you might actually enjoy us. :lol2:

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: