Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What percent dark chocolate do you like?
Topic Started: Jan 13 2010, 02:36 PM (419 Views)
ilikemozart
Middle Aged Carp

What percent dark chocolate do you like? I enjoy up to 60%.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

John Galt
Senior Carp
Oooh...my kind of question. :hearts:

Some 70 percent chocolates are excellent, but others do get a little too bitter even for me.

If I'm looking for a "safe" chocolate, I usually try the 60 to 65 percent first.
Costco had a great mixed selection of small bars in a bag around the holidays. Ranged from 42 percent milk up to 70 percent with cocoa bits. They were all good, and I'm not really a big fan of milk. Definitely worth a try if you are a member.

Klaus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
70%

80% and up and it tastes like dust.
Attempto!

Kincaid
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
I'm such a Philistine. It never occurred to me that dark chocolate came in any percentage.

I like mine wrapped around a Milky Way candy bar.
Kincaid - disgusted Republican Partisan since 2006.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

blondie
Pisa-Carp
We do 60 & 70. The 80% kind of reminds me of chaulk.

musicasacra
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Usually 72%. This 86% is very good:

Posted Image

sue
HOLY CARP!!!
65 to 70, 75 maybe, for everyday use. 80% and over is for experimenting. I've had some very good, some not so much. But it is important to keep trying new chocolates. :)
We like and appreciate the ornate, and very much enjoy the detail and design put into fine craftsmanship. We want some things to be treated as special. It's why we dress up for important occasions, why we rent out ballrooms for those events and take pictures of cathedrals and paint our rooms. AL 6/9/12

brenda
Member Avatar
sue
Jan 13 2010, 04:46 PM
65 to 70, 75 maybe, for everyday use. 80% and over is for experimenting. I've had some very good, some not so much. But it is important to keep trying new chocolates. :)
It's a sacrifice we make in the name of science, that's what it is, Sue.

sue
HOLY CARP!!!
brenda
Jan 13 2010, 04:56 PM
sue
Jan 13 2010, 04:46 PM
It's a sacrifice we make in the name of science, that's what it is, Sue.
Oh, I know, I know. Why just yesterday, I had to purchase a dark chocolate bar with almonds. I was at a grocery store, and they were on display. I blame Kenny. :)
Posted Image

400g for $3.....what are you gonna do?
We like and appreciate the ornate, and very much enjoy the detail and design put into fine craftsmanship. We want some things to be treated as special. It's why we dress up for important occasions, why we rent out ballrooms for those events and take pictures of cathedrals and paint our rooms. AL 6/9/12

schindler
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
I like up to 60%, but my brother-in-law likes it at 80 and beyond. He's a little crazy, though, so part of the draw may be that it doesn't taste great. Who knows. . .
We're all mad here!

Jane D'Oh
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
musicasacra
Jan 13 2010, 04:17 PM

Posted Image
I have the Ghirardelli 72% in the cupboard right now.
Pfft.

musicasacra
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Jane D'Oh
Jan 13 2010, 05:41 PM
musicasacra

Posted Image
I have the Ghirardelli 72% in the cupboard right now.
So do I! I like the packages of squares. We also have the 86% package.

Jane D'Oh
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
I had the package of the white with vanilla also. But I don't any longer. :lol2:
Pfft.

musicasacra
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Jane D'Oh
Jan 13 2010, 05:45 PM
I had the package of the white with vanilla also. But I don't any longer. :lol2:
I haven't tried that one. About the only time I have white chocolate is in cookies -- I made some white chocolate, macadamia nut, and cranberry cookies the other day. I used Ghirardelli white chocolate chips.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
I just made a nice Ghiradelli cocoa. Hazelnut chocolate, and I added some unsweetened to deepen it up. Mmmm.

Haven't made a study of it, but my experience has been pretty similar to everyone else's. I do like it with a little cayenne in it.
"Happiness equals reality minus expectations." - Tom Magliozzi

sue
HOLY CARP!!!
Mikhailoh
Jan 13 2010, 05:49 PM
I do like it with a little cayenne in it.
me too. chocolate and chili peppers work well together. My favourite hot chocolate mix has it too.

Piano*Dad
Member Avatar
Pisa-Carp
I'm perfectly happy with 85%. I like the rich bitterness. I'm currently eating some Lindt 85% extra dark. I also like the Dagoba brand 72%. Anything less than 70% is just too sugary for me now.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
The Lindt extra dark truffles are exquisite. This year I insisted Janet skip the cheaper candies for stocking stuffers and just get an assortment of Lindts. Mmmm.
"Happiness equals reality minus expectations." - Tom Magliozzi

lb1
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
At Christmas my son took those pretzel bits that are filled with peanut butter and dipped them in Ghirardelli 86% then drizzeled white chocolate over them. He also did the same with potato chips. Really good snacking. I understand that chocolate covered chips are a Minnesooota creation.

lb
My position is simple: you jumped to an unwarranted conclusion and slung mud on an issue where none was deserved. Quirt 03/08/09

brenda
Member Avatar
lb1
Jan 13 2010, 06:14 PM
At Christmas my son took those pretzel bits that are filled with peanut butter and dipped them in Ghirardelli 86% then drizzeled white chocolate over them. He also did the same with potato chips. Really good snacking. I understand that chocolate covered chips are a Minnesooota creation.

lb
lb, if that son would like to move to Minnesooota, I would assist him in relocating to my area.

Axtremus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Any Russell Stover fan?
You guys should really try it.

lb1
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
brenda
Jan 13 2010, 06:16 PM
lb1
Jan 13 2010, 06:14 PM

lb
lb, if that son would like to move to Minnesooota, I would assist him in relocating to my area.
He spent 12 years in Fargo and Grand Forks, I think that Minnesooota is too close to there for him.

lb
My position is simple: you jumped to an unwarranted conclusion and slung mud on an issue where none was deserved. Quirt 03/08/09

ilikemozart
Middle Aged Carp
I loved everyone's responses! Axtremus even added some humor.

I am impressed by those that enjoy 70% and higher.

I dine on the Ghirardelli 60% cacao bag of squares, or a bar of the same. They are great while eatting almonds. Too bad Ghirardelli has not come out with dark chocolate with almonds.

The Ghiradelli dark chocolate with raspberry is good too.

Has anyone tried the Lindt Dark Cholocate with Chili? It is also very good.

CHAS
Member Avatar
Middle Aged Carp
musicasacra

Posted Image
Yea, that.

A 12 step program could not make me quit.
"You want to be Nice, or you want to be Effective? Make the law or be subject to it?"-Roy Cohn

bachophile
Member Avatar
Bull-Carp
Top Twenty Reasons why Chocolate is better than Sex

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can GET chocolate.
"If you love me you'll swallow that" has real meaning with chocolate.
Chocolate satisfies even when it has gone soft.
You can safely have chocolate while you are driving.
You can make chocolate last as long as you want it to.
You can have chocolate even in front of your mother.
If you bite the nuts too hard the chocolate won't mind.
Two people of the same sex can have chocolate without being called nasty names.
The word "commitment" doesn't scare off chocolate.
You can have chocolate on top of your workbench/desk during working hours without upsetting your co-workers.
You can ask a stranger for chocolate without getting your face slapped.
You don't get hairs in your mouth with chocolate.
With chocolate there's no need to fake it.
Chocolate doesn't make you pregnant.
You can have chocolate at any time of the month.
Good chocolate is easy to find.
You can have as many kinds of chocolate as you can handle.
You are never too young or too old for chocolate.
When you have chocolate it does not keep your neighbors awake.
With chocolate size doesn't matter.
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply