Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
It's Good To Be in College
Topic Started: Sep 2 2009, 04:24 AM (273 Views)
QuirtEvans
Member Avatar
I Owe It All To John D'Oh
http://www.boston.com/news/education/higher/articles/2009/09/02/bu_dorm_offers_a_study_in_luxury/
It would be unwise to underestimate what large groups of ill-informed people acting together can achieve. -- John D'Oh, January 14, 2010.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Quote:

“Students want beauty, and they should have beauty,’’ Kenneth Elmore, BU’s dean of students, said during a tour of the dorm.

My school was kind of like that. They spent over a million dollars on flowers every year.

Me, I'd rather they hired a couple other professors (ones that don't suck and are actually interested in teaching), upgraded lab equipment or other facilities, but hey, that's just me.
I cite irreconcilable differences.

schindler
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
I'm with you, Jimmy. I had to live in cinder-block dorm rooms, and I'm a better man for it. . . :P

Incidentally, My wife goes to grad school at BU.
We're all mad here!

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
schindler
Sep 2 2009, 06:35 AM
I'm with you, Jimmy. I had to live in cinder-block dorm rooms, and I'm a better man for it. . . :P

Incidentally, My wife goes to grad school at BU.
Is she living in one of the highrises or are they just for undergrads?

schindler
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
She's living with me, in Missouri, until January, when we both go back to Boston. Her department offers a couple classes online, so that's what she's taking until I graduate this December.
We're all mad here!

LWpianistin
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Soundproof piano rooms???!?!?!?! I stopped reading after that. WTF? There aren't any of those in the music building here, let alone the dorms!
And how are you today?

The 89th Key
Member Avatar

Ain't nothing wrong with living in luxury. Those students are lucky, and I'm happy for them that they lucked out with a state-of-the-art building.

LWpianistin
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
I'm sure that money could have been spent on nore beneficial things, though. But that's just like everything else in the world. I always think that.
And how are you today?

The 89th Key
Member Avatar

That is true, but that could always be the case. I could have given my money to a homeless guy instead of buying lunch today. It's always nice to be charitable, but I don't know, I just don't have a problem with folks living in luxury if that's what their situation is.

There will always be poorer and richer folks around....so live happy I say!

And yes, the dorm Aqua and I lived in freshman year of college was lucky enough to have A/C. One of the only dorms on campus to have it. I can't speak for Aqua....but you can sure as hell bet I was 10x happier than if I had lived in one of those hot dorms without A/C!

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
The 89th Key
Sep 2 2009, 07:54 AM
That is true, but that could always be the case. I could have given my money to a homeless guy instead of buying lunch today. It's always nice to be charitable, but I don't know, I just don't have a problem with folks living in luxury if that's what their situation is.

There will always be poorer and richer folks around....so live happy I say!

And yes, the dorm Aqua and I lived in freshman year of college was lucky enough to have A/C. One of the only dorms on campus to have it. I can't speak for Aqua....but you can sure as hell bet I was 10x happier than if I had lived in one of those hot dorms without A/C!
Well, the thing is, a college dorm is a different situation than an apartment. With an apartment, it's the job of the company offering the leases to provide you with housing and maybe a few extra amenities, and you get what you pay for. If you want bigger rooms with a view, you pay more.

With college, you're not just paying the school for your housing. Your tuition covers a lot of things. I place learning above living nicely, so if I could choose between, say, living with A/C and having another option for my Calc professor my second semester of my sophomore year ( :P ), I'd sleep in my own sweat and smile about it.

There's nothing "wrong" with the nice view BU's offering the students but if I went to school there, I'd be pissed that they didn't spend that money on increasing my quality of education.

LWpianistin
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
I didn't have A/C my freshman or sophomore year. Luxury is good, but not needed when there are more important things the money could be used for. Maybe some buildings on campus could use some new computers or updates of some sort. I don't go there, so I don't know, but I'm sure some buildings need something.
And how are you today?

sue
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
I'm about to send my kid off for his second year in a cinder-block, communal bathroom down the hall dorm. He's just thrilled to actually get a place on campus, and certainly wouldn't want to pay the extra bucks for luxury accomodations.

At the very least, I know he won't have any unrealistic notions about what kind of living accommodation he'll be able to afford when he gets his first place on his own. :hat:

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
sue
Sep 2 2009, 10:23 AM
At the very least, I know he won't have any unrealistic notions about what kind of living accommodation he'll be able to afford when he gets his first place on his own. :hat:
:thumb:

There's no "very least" about it IMO, that's an important thing that some folks my age have a problem understanding, and suffer massive credit card debt as a result.

Kincaid
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
I was happy my dorm didn't burn down - that turn of the century tinderbox.

Hey Sue, my daughter is living off campus this year in a house with two other girls. Should save a bit from the $6600 housing bill from last year (and the $2500 meal plan).
Kincaid - disgusted Republican Partisan since 2006.

sue
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Kincaid
Sep 2 2009, 12:14 PM
I was happy my dorm didn't burn down - that turn of the century tinderbox.

Hey Sue, my daughter is living off campus this year in a house with two other girls. Should save a bit from the $6600 housing bill from last year (and the $2500 meal plan).
cool!
My son will probably end up doing that next year, but I'm thrilled he got a place on campus for one more year. And with an 8 a.m. calculus lecture, he is too!

ouch, that's quite a housing bill! I think Colin's tiny little cell room was about $3500.

I bet your daughter will have a fun year. :) How's her cooking skills?

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply