Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Blood Donation; Do you?
Topic Started: Jan 21 2009, 02:42 PM (448 Views)
dolmansaxlil
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
After NAK's thread, and since it's almost February (they do a big push for donations here in February) I figured I'd ask:

Do you donate blood? If you don't, why not? (if you care to say...I don't have those nifty barcoded YES and NO stickers to protect your answer ;) )

Of course, I'm not even sure how to answer my own question. I started donating when I turned 18 - until they took my pulse and it was at 220. I was diagnosed with a minor annoying heart thing, and I was told not to donate until it was under control. Went back to it a few years ago, donated regularly for about a year, then I started teaching. I went in to donate, and my hemoglobin was low enough they seriously considered driving me straight to the hospital. I've donated on and off since then, but have gone back as many as 6 times in a row (every 2 months) and been deferred each time. Then, suddenly, my hemoglobin will jump high enough that I can donate, and it starts again where I'll be deferred for months and months. I last donated in October, but it was going REALLY slowly and eventually the vein closed up and they had to stop. I am not sure I'll go back again simply because it seems that my body doesn't do well with donation, but I hate that I can't just waltz in and donate every two months!
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Flickr Photostream

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

brenda
Member Avatar
Not regularly, but yes, I donate.

Perhaps it should be made clear the bloodbaths here at TNCR don't count.
“Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
~A.A. Milne

Dan
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
The Northern Colorado Blood bank comes to my work place every 6 weeks or so (or however long it has to be between donations). I give every time.

The 89th Key
Member Avatar

No - not really against it, just never cared enough to go, if you want an honest answer.

BeeLady
Member Avatar
Middle Aged Carp
I used to and would love to again but since I began traveling to Central America, a malaria area, I have been disqualified.

Instead, when I can I help out at the local drive.
"My wheel shall sing responsive to my tread,
And I will spin so fine, so strong a thread
Fate shall not cut it, nor Time's forces break"
"Distaff and Spindle: Sonnets by Mary Ashley Townsend" 1895

Larry
Member Avatar
Mmmmmmm, pie!
After two wives, all the blood has been squeezed out already....
Of the Pokatwat Tribe

Kincaid
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
No, I passed out just giving a blood sample once. I will be a bone marrow donor if I am ever a match.
Kincaid - disgusted Republican Partisan since 2006.

Axtremus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
brenda
Jan 21 2009, 02:51 PM
Not regularly, but yes, I donate.
Same here.

brenda
Member Avatar
Hi, Beelady! :wave: Great to see you.
~A.A. Milne

John D'Oh
Member Avatar
MAMIL
The Canadians didn't want my fine English blood because they claimed I was at risk of mad cow disease. They hadn't even met the wife.
What do you mean "we", have you got a mouse in your pocket?

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
You are in so much trouble.

A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

"There are 57 different genders, but politics is binary."
- David Burge, 7/29/18

brenda
Member Avatar
John D'Oh
Jan 21 2009, 05:20 PM
The Canadians didn't want my fine English blood because they claimed I was at risk of mad cow disease. They hadn't even met the wife.
And if you thought she was mad before ............
~A.A. Milne

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
I have o negative (universal donor) so they want my blood very much, and I have given before. But it ruins me for exercise for a few days so I haven't done it in a while. I should start again, I suppose. I don't really know how important it is.
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?

kenny
HOLY CARP!!!
I would but they don't want my HIV negative healthy blood.

brenda
Member Avatar
kenny
Jan 21 2009, 06:50 PM
I would but they don't want my blood.
Too spicy?
~A.A. Milne

kenny
HOLY CARP!!!
I'm gay so they don't trust that I'm HIV negative.
Everyone knows that all homos are liars, cheats and sluts and all straights are saints. :shrug:

dolmansaxlil
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
I have a huge issue with the "You're gay so you can't give blood" thing, kenny. I've known a LOT of straight people who should have used the little "NO" sticker when asked if they should use their blood.

As far as how important it is - I've had several friends and relatives in situations where they ended up in emergency and needed blood. My great grandfather needed ten pints. That's why I started donating in the first place.
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Flickr Photostream

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
I wonder how many calories the body burns regenerating a pint of blood? Maybe this is the healthier alternative to bulimia.
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?

kenny
HOLY CARP!!!
I've considered lying, saying I'm not one of "those", and donating anyway.

Haven't done that yet.

Do you guys think I should?

Frank_W
Member Avatar
Resident Misanthrope
Kenny, I believe the thread is about blood donation, rather than another Kenny-Crusade(tm) for Kenny's gay rights. You know whether or not you should lie. Quit throwing out the bait. It's not very becoming.

I began donating blood while in the Army. I generally donate as often as I can, unless I'm sidelined by having gotten tattooed. I'm A+ though, so I'm sure there's a ton of it available, but the pint I donate may be just the one that someone needs.
Anatomy Prof: "The human body has about 20 sq. meters of skin."
Me: "Man, that's a lot of lampshades!"

Axtremus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
kenny
Jan 21 2009, 07:14 PM
I've considered lying, saying I'm not one of "those", and donating anyway.

Haven't done that yet.

Do you guys think I should?
Not worth a lie. You shouldn't have to hide who you are just because you want to donate blood.

Categorical denial of certain demographics from donating blood is actuarially driven, and the health care establishment errs on the side of caution. Assuming the underlying facts are there to support it, given enough time, the statistics will eventually show that the gay demographic, the British people, or who ever else from whom we refuse to accept blood today to carry no higher risk than the general population. Either that, or screening technology will improve as to eliminate the need to categorically deny whole demographics.

JoeB
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
Quote:

Do you donate blood? If you don't, why not?

I used to donate pretty regularly. The last time I donated the needle puncture didn't heal properly for a very long time. I think I will try again soon. It's been quite a while. They were still offering a free stiff shot of whiskey after the donation the last time I donated. I'm pretty sure they don't do that any more.
"There are many ingredients in the stew of annoyance." - Bucky Katt

ivorythumper
Member Avatar
I am so adjective that I verb nouns!
No. I am waiting to see if the Feds are going to bailout the blood banks.
The dogma lives loudly within me.

Jamie
Member Avatar
Junior Carp
Yes, I donate, and do so fairly regularly. The vampires (Canadian Blood Services) have my phone number, and the call me regularly to make appointments for donation clinics in my area. Type A, RH Positive.

Rudy - September 1, 1998 - April 8, 2009... One awesome dog

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
No, but I really should.
I cite irreconcilable differences.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: