Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What are you reading now?
Topic Started: Nov 7 2006, 08:06 PM (62,917 Views)
Rainman
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
I have been intrigued with these real-life autobiographically based books on WWII. From the South Pacific, to Europe. What it was like.

I am starting to get a bit tired of it, but I will complete this one, since my father-in-law was in Monte Cassino, Anzio, and in the Ardennes for the Battle of the Bulge. My Dad was in the Wehrmacht.

What a complete fvcking waste war is.

I have decided not to invade Canada after all.

You can all go back to your plows. I'll post when I need you.

Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bachophile
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Posted Image

getting into the garbage summer read mood

in tuscany i suspect it will only be trash like this
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Rainman
Jul 27 2018, 07:44 PM
My Dad was in the Wehrmacht.
No sh1t?

Was he German, or a citizen of some country that became subject to the Nazis?
Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Bookbub notified me it was offering a deal on a wishlist book I listed with them, so Ima buy it:

The Art of Grace by Sarah L. Kaufman.

"Grace is being at ease with the world, even when life tosses wine down your pants. (Ref to an earlier bit.)

"Whether you perceive grace in a moment of startling compassion, in Roger Federer's miraculous forehand, or even in the minute-by-minute harmony of line cooks during the dinner rush, witnessing it pleases the senses, brightens the mood, and inspires a feeling of ease."

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Grace-Moving-Well-Through-ebook/dp/B00TMA91LI/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1532784593&sr=1-1&keywords=art+of+grace
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." -- Catherine Aird

Rainman
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
jon-nyc
Jul 28 2018, 02:41 AM
Rainman
No sh1t?

Estonian.
Join, or we shoot you.

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Posted Image
I cite irreconcilable differences.

John Galt
Fulla-Carp
Rainman
Jul 28 2018, 08:23 AM
jon-nyc
Jul 28 2018, 02:41 AM
Rainman
No sh1t?

Estonian.
Join, or we shoot you.

The little Lithuanian thorn in the Germans' side.

My uncle narrowly avoided being drafted into the SS. He spent some time incarcerated somewhere or another and managed to get out alive. Even shot his own trigger finger off, hoping it would disqualify him from service.....still managed to play a pretty mean piano without it....
Let us begin anew, remembering on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
George K
Jul 1 2018, 12:10 PM
Started this this afternoon:
Posted Image

Just got through the introduction, and it's pretty engrossing. Having finished Volume 2 of Ambrose's "Nixon," this might make for some juicy reading.
I found "The Brethren" a bit too much "inside baseball." After about half the book, I found the machinations of dealmaking among the justices to be a bit tiresome, and found myself glossing over a lot of it. Nevertheless, some of the intrigues, particularly with respect to Burger's approach to things got me. The story of Douglas's stroke was fascinating as well. I'm glad I finally finished it (while I was in Minot ND).
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

"There are 57 different genders, but politics is binary."
- David Burge, 7/29/18

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Note the author. The master of the witty aphorism discussing the dead god of the witty aphorism.

Posted Image

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
jon-nyc
Aug 1 2018, 04:21 AM
Note the author. The master of the witty aphorism discussing the dead god of the witty aphorism.

Posted Image

Nietzsche, witty?

Nietzsche?

Hm, I guess I can't be expected to know that as a proud member of the booboisie.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." -- Catherine Aird

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Catseye3
Aug 1 2018, 04:31 AM
Nietzsche, witty?

Nietzsche?

Hm, I guess I can't be expected to know that as a proud member of the booboisie.
He really was. I think the way in which he said everything (and the content of about half of what he said) had a lot more to do with amusing himself than actual clarity.

Thanks, jon! On the list for me. Mencken's the man.

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Aqua Letifer
Aug 1 2018, 04:36 AM
Catseye3
Aug 1 2018, 04:31 AM
Nietzsche, witty?

Nietzsche?

He really was. I think the way in which he said everything (and the content of about half of what he said) had a lot more to do with amusing himself than actual clarity.

Thanks, jon! On the list for me. Mencken's the man.

Well, hey, here's one: "Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent."

Yesirree. :D

Aqua Letifer
Member Avatar
ZOOOOOM!
Posted Image

Okay, so this is a hell of a lot of fun.

Pink Floyd told ambiguous stories with their concept albums but left you to fill in the gaps. Iron Maiden sings about stories like Brave New World or "Rime of the Ancient Mariner," but that's just their interpretation of a pre-existing story. This is very different. And weird. And awesome.

Clockwork Angels is a later Rush album. It stands out for a couple of reasons:
  • It's actually a concept album; kinda rare for these guys.
  • Musically, it's all over the place, even for Rush.
  • Not in terms of technicality or musicality, but lyrically and in terms of storytelling, it's pretty ambitious. "I intend it to be my highest achievement," Peart said about the lyrics.
  • So about those lyrics... it's also a novel.
What I'm doing is listening to the audiobook novel chapters (by the way, Peart does the reading), and then going back and listening to the album tracks that correspond to the chapter.

Which is incredibly weird.

It kind of reminds me of those interactive lessons you're given in grade school, where you watch a thing and then you're given a worksheet afterward that encourages you to apply what you've learned. But in terms of style, the two don't really match up. Like at all.

The novel is like any other Special Orphan story you've ever read, only less edgy. It's LotR if Sauron was just a crotchety guy who graffitis the city walls instead of waging war on mankind itself. It's Harry Potter going off to wizard school but he and Voldemort kinda know each other and agree to disagree. But it works pretty well as a young adult novel.

The album, though, is of course not that, because that's not what Rush does. They're not Paramore; they're prog rock/proto-metal. The songs and lyrics absolutely correspond to the plot of the book, and tell the exact same story, but the feel of it is completely different.

Because I start with the chapters first, the novel sounds kinda Harry-Pottery. When I listen to the album tracks as I get to that part of the book, they sound like Terry Gilliam on a bad acid trip trying to make Harry Potter.

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Aqua - Iím only half way through with the Mencken but itís excellent. It starts with a biography, then goes into the philosophy. But it doesnít just present it, he talks in very straightforward terms how Nietzsche got there. Itís like he derives it for you from Neitzscheís axioms.

Cats - I didnít seek out a secondary source on Nietzsche, rather I just wanted to read some Mencken, and when I went to see what Project Gutenberg had, this caught my eye.

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
jon-nyc
Aug 6 2018, 07:17 AM
Cats - I didn't seek out a secondary source on Nietzsche, rather I just wanted to read some Mencken, and when I went to see what Project Gutenberg had, this caught my eye.

So I guess you were pretty surprised too, huh? :lol:

Capt. Guts
Advanced Member
The Redneck Chronicles

bachophile
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
bachophile
Jul 27 2018, 09:57 PM
Posted Image

getting into the garbage summer read mood

in tuscany i suspect it will only be trash like this
pretty dissapointing

bill should find a different summer job

now on dan browns origin...

more garbagio
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen

Horace
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Posted Image

Between this and The Case Against Education, this guy's one of my favorite thinkers.
As a good person, I implore you to do as I, a good person, do. Be good. Do NOT be bad. If you see bad, end bad. End it in yourself, and end it in others. By any means necessary, the good must conquer the bad. Good people know this. Do you know this? Are you good?

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
He blogs at econlog.

Maybe have your brother introduce you.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Posted Image

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
I've not read this, only heard of it just now. I offer it for those who are aficionados of both music and political thrillers.

Note there is a colon in the title. Since I'm unfamiliar with the book, I can't say whether this observance of a detestable convention can be relied upon as a good sign or a bad one.
--------------

Orfeo: A Novel, by Richard Powers

In Orfeo, composer Peter Els opens the door one evening to find the police on his doorstep. His home microbiology lab -- the latest experiment in his lifelong attempt to find music in surprising patterns -- has aroused the suspicions of Homeland Security. Panicked by the raid, Els turns fugitive and hatches a plan to transform this disastrous collision with the security state into an unforgettable work of art that will reawaken its audience to the sounds all around it.

https://www.amazon.com/Orfeo-Novel-Richard-Powers-ebook/dp/B00DX5XAA6?_bbid=10461570&tag=bookbubemail2-20

ETA: It's on sale for $2.99.

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
I found this list in the NPR website: 100 Best Horror Novels (as submitted by readers).

For the background: https://www.npr.org/2018/08/16/632779706/click-if-you-dare-100-favorite-horror-stories
For the list: https://www.npr.org/2018/08/16/632779706/click-if-you-dare-100-favorite-horror-stories#bloodroots

I have only read some of these (which brought back delicious shivery memories), but sooo many of them look sooo good . . .

Notably two:

Never heard of this one. Uzumaki by Junji Ito. "Most people discovered him through his epic, novel-length manga, Uzumaki, about a town where everyone is obsessed with spirals. If you think that sounds harmless, then you don't know Junji Ito."

From Amazon: "Kurozu-cho, a small fogbound town on the coast of Japan, is cursed. According to Shuichi Saito, the withdrawn boyfriend of teenager Kirie Goshima, their town is haunted not by a person or being but by a pattern: uzumaki, the spiral, the hypnotic secret shape of the world. It manifests itself in everything from seashells and whirlpools in water to the spiral marks on people's bodies, the insane obsessions of Shuichi's father and the voice from the cochlea in our inner ear. As the madness spreads, the inhabitants of Kurozu-cho are pulled ever deeper into a whirlpool from which there is no return!" It is actually a collection of short stories, all taking place in this town, and pulled together by the presence of the two teens.

So Japanese!

://www.amazon.com/Uzumaki-3-1-Deluxe-vols/dp/1421561328/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1534517455&sr=1-1&keywords=uzumaki&dpID=51Ef1f4UnqL&preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

And:

House of Leaves. The Universe keeps bringing this one to my attention, but I've not read it.
From Amazon: "The story [focuses] on a young family that moves into a small home on Ash Tree Lane where they discover something is terribly wrong: their house is bigger on the inside than it is on the outside.

"Of course, neither Pulitzer Prize-winning photojournalist Will Navidson nor his companion Karen Green was prepared to face the consequences of that impossibility, until the day their two little children wandered off and their voices eerily began to return another story -- of creature darkness, of an ever-growing abyss behind a closet door, and of that unholy growl which soon enough would tear through their walls and consume all their dreams."

O-o-o, yeah! :devilgrin:

https://www.amazon.com/House-Leaves-Mark-Z-Danielewski/dp/0375703764/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1534518470&sr=1-1&keywords=house+of+leaves&dpID=41jpemUkbEL&preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

bachophile
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Posted Image

was gifted this for my bday a few weeks ago. actually was gifted the whole trilogy and waited for vacation to read. i had not heard of it before...

let me tell you, this is the best spy writing i have come across since le carre. different style of writing from le carre, but completely gripping from the start.

author is a thirty year CIA veteran, so tradecraft (as in le carre, moscow rules etc..) plays a big part. really good read.

finished the first one, two more to go.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
bachophile
Aug 17 2018, 10:47 PM
let me tell you, this is the best spy writing i have come across since le carre. different style of writing from le carre, but completely gripping from the start
Ooohhh!

- Mik, 6/14/08

- David Burge, 7/29/18

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Posted Image

Just getting around to it. The kids got me a signed copy for my Christmas present.

Very good.
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply