Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
What are you reading now?
Topic Started: Nov 7 2006, 08:06 PM (62,222 Views)
George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Started this:

Posted Image
Quote:

This is the professional biography of a senior Soviet intelligence officer--one who reported directly to the Politburo for several years. After the end of the Cold War, he met with a retired CIA official who had operated in the European theater at the same time. They came to respect each other as fellow professionals in the espionage profession. There details of the life of the Spymaster are recounted in some detail, too much really, and of course the information the former Soviet official was censored somewhat. The story could not be published when he was alive, and he did not reveal the identities of some Soviet agents in the US government who had never been discovered.
Very readable and provides insights into the decisions of the Soviet government for intelligence, political and military action in Eastern Europe in the 1970s and 1980s, up to the end of the Cold War. The authori acknowledges that his subject was aware of the horrors of the Soviet system, but he remained loyal and tried (successfully) to forge a successful career.
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

I'd rather listen to an hour of Abba than an hour of The Beatles.
- Klaus, 4/29/18
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
You finish Woodward?
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
jon-nyc
Jul 5 2018, 10:14 AM
You finish Woodward?
Nah. Taking it at about 100 pages a day.

- Mik, 6/14/08

- Klaus, 4/29/18

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Posted Image

Going back and hitting some of the classic WW2 fiction...
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

Red Rice
HOLY CARP!!!
Yes, that's a classic... read that in high school. Read MacLean's "HMS Ulysses" around the same time. Loved them both. (First time I visited HMS Belfast in London, I kept visualizing scenes from "HMS Ulysses")
Civilisation, I vaguely realized then - and subsequent observation has confirmed the view - could not progress that way. It must have a greater guiding principle to survive. To treat it as a carcase off which each man tears as much as he can for himself, is to stand convicted a brute, fit for nothing better than a jungle existence, which is a death-struggle, leading nowhither. I did not believe that was the human destiny, for Man individually was sane and reasonable, only collectively a fool.

I hope the gunner of that Hun two-seater shot him clean, bullet to heart, and that his plane, on fire, fell like a meteor through the sky he loved. Since he had to end, I hope he ended so. But, oh, the waste! The loss!

- Cecil Lewis

Jolly
Member Avatar
Geaux Tigers!
Red Rice
Jul 7 2018, 06:23 PM
Yes, that's a classic... read that in high school. Read MacLean's "HMS Ulysses" around the same time. Loved them both. (First time I visited HMS Belfast in London, I kept visualizing scenes from "HMS Ulysses")
Good to see you around.

How's life?
The main obstacle to a stable and just world order is the United States.- George Soros

kluurs
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Rereading some of this - and some is new.

Posted Image

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
jon-nyc
Jun 29 2018, 05:27 AM
Posted Image]
Excellent read. Very detailed, occasionally too much, but overall a joy to read. I will move on to volumes II and II with breaks in between.

One complaint - he spends a bit too much time complaining about all the biographers before him that got stuff wrong. At one point about 1/4 of the way in I thought 'who's he writing this for, the other 10 or so living Liszt biographers?'

But it really doesn't detract that much. Overall a good read.

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
I've never read but small bits from him. Seems like a hole I need to fill.

Posted Image

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Something happened, and I can no longer post images. I just started this:

Hammer Head by Nina McLaughlin

"Hammer Head is the story of a young woman who quit her desk job to become a carpenter. Writing with infectious curiosity, Nina MacLaughlin--a Classics major who couldn't tell a Phillips from a flathead screwdriver--describes the joys and frustrations of making things by hand. Filled with the wisdom of writers from Ovid to Mary Oliver and MacLaughlin's own memorable accounts of working with wood, unfamiliar tools, and her unforgettable mentor, Hammer Head is a passionate book full of sweat, bashed thumbs, and a deep sense of finding real meaning in work and life.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." -- Catherine Aird

sue
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
That sounds like a good read, Catseye. Let us know how you liked it.

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Finished "Spymaster."

Thinking of picking up Asimov's "Foundation." It's been decades...

- Mik, 6/14/08

- Klaus, 4/29/18

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
sue
Jul 10 2018, 03:16 PM
That sounds like a good read, Catseye. Let us know how you liked it.
So far I'm loving it. Her style reflects an intense observance of everything around her, very interestingly expressed. She makes you want to see what she sees, think about things in your life with the same mindfulness. It is like a drink of cool water, in this age where every minute of your attention is lambasted with hundreds of images, hundreds of thoughts. Too much!

Her first exposure to the carpentry work was in a tryout afternoon with the woman who became her employer. They laid tile in a bathroom. At the end: "Concrete actions: First this, then this. Measure, mark, cut. The sounds of the saw, the spray, the cold dry tile, the wet cut tile, my body positioned in front of the saw, eyes locked on the line, everything else -- time and language -- evaporated in the concentration, in the physical act of doing . . . Here, with the tiles, each one had its place, part of the whole, each measurement had a purpose, each cut. It was repetitive, yes, but somehow not boring. Even if you cut thousands of tiles, even if you spent a year at the tile saw, you'd still have to pay attention. Every time. You'd get faster. You'd get better -- straighter cuts, less jamming of the blade -- but you'd still have to focus. The repetition with the tiles provoked presence, a specific physical hereness."

That is great, to me. I can't say why; it's like you love a painting but can't analyze why. It's what I need right now.

You know what? This reminds me of your jewelry making. :)
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." -- Catherine Aird

sue
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Catseye3
Jul 10 2018, 03:47 PM
You know what? This reminds me of your jewelry making. :)
:wave: that's exactly what I was thinking. I'm gonna read that book.

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
Suggested for the musicians among us:

The Soloist

"The inspiring true story that inspired the major motion picture.

"The New York Times bestselling "unforgettable tale of hope, heart and humanity" (People)

"Journalist Steve Lopez' discovery of Nathaniel Ayers, a former classical bass student at Julliard, playing his heart out on a two-string violin on Los Angeles' Skid Row. Deeply affected by the beauty of Ayers's music, Lopez took it upon himself to change the prodigy's life -- only to find that their relationship would have a profound change on his own."

https://www.amazon.com/Soloist-Movie-Tie-Friendship-Redemptive-ebook/dp/B00164X2QS/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1531318912&sr=1-1&keywords=the+soloist

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
George K
Jul 10 2018, 03:22 PM
Finished "Spymaster."

Thinking of picking up Asimov's "Foundation." It's been decades...
Yup. Started "Foundation" today. About halfway done with the first book.

What fun!

- Mik, 6/14/08

- Klaus, 4/29/18

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
jon-nyc
Jul 9 2018, 02:22 PM
I've never read but small bits from him. Seems like a hole I need to fill.

Posted Image
My gosh this was just an exceptional book. Part history, part sociology, part personal memoir. And the writing! Just amazing. I'm tempted to post samples. I'll be reading more of him.

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
This is a collection of essays. I'm interested in reading those by Washington, Du Bois, and Dunbar. So it should be a relatively quick read.

Posted Image

Catseye3
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
The book American Collosus spent a fair bit of time on Booker T Washington. He seemed quite fascinating and admirable.

« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: