Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.


You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.


Join our community!


If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
  • 1
  • 5
Bush Admin Uses Anti-terror funding for pork
Topic Started: May 31 2006, 06:07 PM (1,594 Views)
ivorythumper
Member Avatar
I am so adjective that I verb nouns!
Jeffrey
Jun 6 2006, 05:04 PM
IT - I read your link.  Sounds like a well-planned Repub hatchet job on NYC, with their local Congress guy sent for a planned diversion, complete with idiotic allegations.  Both terrorists and hick-state Republicans hate NYC, it seems.

Really, Jeff -- do you think that 100% of the money went to intended programs without any kickbacks, bribes, diversions, mob contracts, etc? Why should this be any different from business as usual?

Quote:
 
I am going to one tonight - Yankee Stadium.
So how many hundred million does Guiliani want from the Feds to protect Yankee Stadium?
The dogma lives loudly within me.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
iainhp
Middle Aged Carp

OK, it's official - NY received too much cash. Here's the calculation:

Population of NY city = 7.5 million

Population of US = 250 million

Total cash distributed by Homeland Secuirty = $1,700 million (or $1.7 billion)

So, by population NY's share should be:

(7.5/250) x$1,700 million = $51 million

Yet they were allocated $125 million, and are complaining.

Of course this assumes that the cash is for the security of all New Yorkers and not just the few on Manhattan Island.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Jeffrey
Senior Carp
9/11 Chair: Funding cuts defy logic, are incompetent and based on resentment of NYC. Story here:


Chair of 9/11 panel rips funding cuts to city



BY MICHAEL McAULIFF
DAILY NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU

WASHINGTON - A chairman of the 9/11 commission said yesterday it defies logic that a secret panel of bureaucrats could slash New York City's federal security funding.
"There are two cities that [Osama] Bin Laden has said - before 9/11 and after 9/11 - that he wants to hit ... and that's Washington and New York," said former Chairman Thomas Kean. "So it defies any kind of logic that they don't have the vast majority of the funds."

Kean, the Republican ex-governor of New Jersey, also said he couldn't explain how anonymous panels of "peer reviewers" concluded that the city's terror plans were among the worst in the nation.

"If you've got a secret commission, it's very hard to judge what they say," he said. "I don't believe in these secret reviewers. There's nothing classified about telling you who's on a committee to look at something."

The peer reviewers ranked many of New York's counterterrorism proposals in the bottom 15% of the nation, and the city's funding was slashed 40% last week.

House Homeland Security Committee Chairman Pete King (R-L.I.) said the dismal ranking shows "either hopeless incompetence or bias," referring to suggestions that some feds resent the NYPD's 1,000officer counterterrorism force.

Kean, whose commissioners gave the feds a report card loaded with F's last winter for failing to learn the lessons of 9/11, said New York's efforts were the best.

"I'll tell you, New York is a model city," said Kean, who reviewed the city's terror plans for Mayor Bloomberg when the city was applying for federal cash.

Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly also scoffed at the secret reviewers' ratings, including the claim that New York's efforts are not sustainable. "Someone is sustaining it, and right now it's New York City taxpayers," he said.

King planned to grill the woman in charge of terror grants, Tracy Henke, today before his committee. He said he'll begin public hearings June 21. "If we have to go to the President, we'll go to the President," King said. "We'll go as high as we have to in the chain of command to undo this terrible injustice."

King's demands were also echoed yesterday by yet another Republican, Rep. Christopher Shays of Connecticut. "It was an outrage to see the reduction that we saw to New York and D.C.," he said.


Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
The 89th Key
Member Avatar

Going to apologize yet, Jeff?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
iainhp
Middle Aged Carp

Hey, get in line. :sword: He's supposed to be presenting what the federal funds have been spent on to date. Then you can discuss apologies.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
The 89th Key
Member Avatar

:D
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:
  • 1
  • 5