Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Have gas prices changed your behavior?
Topic Started: Aug 29 2005, 11:42 AM (452 Views)
jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
Has anyone made any behavioral changes due to higher gas prices?

Like started carpooling? Planning errands better to minimize driving? Or buying a more economical car than you might have, say, a year ago?

I'm not talking about habits you already had (like driving a hybrid, Kenny) but actual behavioral changes due to the recent increases?

To the extent that the answer is no, At what point do you think you might do these things? With gas $3? $3.50?
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ivorythumper
Member Avatar
I am so adjective that I verb nouns!
MS and I are talking about getting a hybrid or an alternative fuel vehicle -- not so much because of gas prices (I only drive about 50 miles a week if that in a moderately efficient Nissan PU, and MS has a fairly fuel efficient Saturn), but so that she could commute in the car pool lane and avoid the rush hour snags.

But these vehicles are both paid off, and we can't spring the cash, so the debt service is not very attractive (unless it made up for the additional fuel costs). Still trying to figure it out...
The dogma lives loudly within me.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

dolmansaxlil
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Yes and no. I don't drive a tonne anyways. My work is about 15 minutes from my house. If I'm at work, I'll go to the grocery in that town on my way home rather than going to the one I prefer (but is out of my way). Those are things I've always done. I have tried to be better about combining errands. I was really bad for going to the next town over (granted, it's only 11km, but still) for silly things I could have waited for, so I'm trying to be better about that.

I have to say though, I read a Canadian article talking about US gas prices today, and they mentioned the "all time high" price of 57 cents a litre. Since we're up to $1.00 a litre now, I gotta say I don't feel all that sorry for the Americans. Last time gas was 57 cents a litre here, I was in highschool. I do realize, though, that's it's all what you're USED to paying.
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Flickr Photostream

tcmod
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
my wife and I play a kind of roulette with the cars. I drive until it gets so low on gas that I have to switch cars...leaving her to have to buy the gas for that one. she does the same to me...and is better at it so I end up buying most of the gas :angry:
Dead girls don't say no, but you still have to buy them flowers

big al
Member Avatar
Bull-Carp
I would say yes.

I bought a vehicle in July to replace a worn-out one and targeted my choices at smaller vehicles.

Also, I think more about optional trips and decide whether I really want to make them now or if I can postpone them and perhaps combine with another trip later. I haven't denied myself travel to distinct destinations, but if a trip to the hardware or builders supply can wait till I'm passing near on the way from work, I may do something else in the meantime.

I'm still wary of the hybrids long-term. The vehicle I disposed of had 272,000 miles on it. Most of my daily commute to work is freeway driving so I'm not yet convinced that hybrids have the combination of economy and durability to justify one as my fundamental transportation. Ideally, I'd ride the bus but my last three work locations have not been conducive to that option. When I could, I loved it. Drive time is wasted time for me. On the bus, I could read, talk, or sleep. None of these options exist (safely) behind the wheel.

Big Al

"jesu, der simcha fun der man's farlangen."
-bachophile

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
What do you do? Move closer to work for less mileage? Great, except the cost of housing increases beyond the extra gas prices as you move closer. Buy a hybrid? Sure, except two things. The money that you lose on the value of a trade in or selling your car more than offsets what you save in the improved MPG. Plus, as more people go this route, the demand will be up and so will the price of the hybrids. Carpooling doesn't work for me due to my hours. I suppose we could plan our errands a little better.
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.

kenny
HOLY CARP!!!
As you know I was already bending over backwards.

But now I'm even more careful to do errands after my commute with a warmed up car, and trip combining than 6 months ago.
If I need something after I get home from work I'll usually just do without it till the following day.

The 89th Key
Member Avatar

Not in the least bit.

MrsKB
Member Avatar
Middle Aged Carp
weeellllllllll....I already have a car that gets 40-45 mpg because I have to commute so far....and I carpool to class already....so.....I guess I make KB drive as much as possible so I don't have to! :smokin:
Winning is a habit. Watch your thoughts, they become your beliefs. Watch your beliefs, they become your words. Watch your words, they become your actions. Watch your actions, they become your habits. Watch your habits, they become your character. ~Vince Lombardi

KlavierBauer
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
I've driven with Kenny personally ... it's hilarious.

He's not only changed vehicles, but he has changed how he drives.

if everyone drove like he does, they would get probably twice the mileage they get now (they'd also all get fired for being late all the time).
"I realize you want him to touch you all over and give you babies, but his handling of the PR side really did screw the pooch." - Ivory Thumper
"He said sleepily: "Don't worry mom, my dick is like hot logs in the morning." - Apple

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
Kenny, have you ever thought of putting a sail on top? It can probably get you another 5-6 MPG. I'll even teach you how to tack! :wink:
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.

Mark
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Haven't changed a thing!

Oh! Wait! I just completed a 5,801.5 mile drive!

That was definitely different! :P
___.___
(_]===*
o 0
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells

KlavierBauer
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!

After our thai meal, I was practically able to power the car by myself.
"I realize you want him to touch you all over and give you babies, but his handling of the PR side really did screw the pooch." - Ivory Thumper
"He said sleepily: "Don't worry mom, my dick is like hot logs in the morning." - Apple

dolmansaxlil
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Mrs. KB has herself quite the catch ;)
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Flickr Photostream

Mark
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
:lol2:
___.___
(_]===*
o 0
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells

MrsKB
Member Avatar
Middle Aged Carp
he's so charming....
Winning is a habit. Watch your thoughts, they become your beliefs. Watch your beliefs, they become your words. Watch your words, they become your actions. Watch your actions, they become your habits. Watch your habits, they become your character. ~Vince Lombardi

KlavierBauer
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
:D

sorry, I'm a bit spunky today, and have nobody to play with

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
So you're playing with yourself? :huh:

MrsKB
Member Avatar
Middle Aged Carp
he likes it that way.... <_<

KlavierBauer
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
weird... my eyesight seems to be failing.

Oh well, my mother alwasy said....

MrsKB
Member Avatar
Middle Aged Carp
what pray tell, did you mother always say to you? ;)

KlavierBauer
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
*giggle*

kenny
HOLY CARP!!!
KlavierBauer
Aug 29 2005, 03:01 PM
After our thai meal, I was practically able to power the car by myself.

That was YOU?
Oh MAN! :dead:
:leaving:

:P

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply