Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
So Ivory, What'd You Think Of Benedict?
Topic Started: Aug 28 2005, 09:14 PM (190 Views)
Rick Zimmer
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
It seems to me I read you went to World Youth Day.

What'd you think of Benedict XVI? (Assuming you were close enough to see and/or listen and get some sort of impression)
[size=4]Violence is incompatible with the nature of God and the nature of the soul -- Benedict XVI[/size]
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ivorythumper
Member Avatar
I am so adjective that I verb nouns!
MS and I did get fairly close -- at the General Audience he stopped by and gave us the blessings for newlyweds (sposi novelli)! ;)

Posted Image

We saw him also at the Angelus, and twice in Cologne. He seemed very happy, especially when he was among the crowds. I heard that during the week in Cologne, he would get out of his car and go greet the young people among the crowds quite unexpectedly. Probably an unanticipated nightmare for his security detail!

At his addresses, his message was positive, hopeful, challenging, and inviting. He was very articulate in Italian, German, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, and Polish. These messages seemed very well received by the various language groups.

My sense of B16 is that he very much understands that it is not about him-- rather his office is a sign for others of Christ's presence in the world, and his role is to be a source of hope and strength. He seems profoundly pastoral -- to the extent that his role as Prefect of CDF was perhaps more the man doing the job he was called upon to do, rather than the man himself. I was reading through an interview with him, the book "Salt of the Earth", and find him to be so very Christ centered and humble -- truly a man for our age to lead the Church.

-Steve
The dogma lives loudly within me.

Friday
Senior Carp
Great picture! That is you and Mrs IT holding his hand, right? Who took the picture?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rick Zimmer
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
ivorythumper
Aug 28 2005, 10:57 PM
My sense of B16 is that he very much understands that it is not about him-- rather his office is a sign for others of Christ's presence in the world, and his role is to be a source of hope and strength. He seems profoundly pastoral -- to the extent that his role as Prefect of CDF was perhaps more the man doing the job he was called upon to do, rather than the man himself. I was reading through an interview with him, the book "Salt of the Earth", and find him to be so very Christ centered and humble -- truly a man for our age to lead the Church.

-Steve

Yep, great picture.

What was the sense of the people there, outside of what I assume is an atmosphere that was part holiday and part pilgrimage?

I found it interesting that unlike JPII, Benedict apparently did not speak to birth control, abortion or such doctrinal issues, but rather focused on exhorted them to live and spread their faith. Interesting, since this was one of his first major highly publicized events since his investiture. And a positive development.

I too sense, from what I have read and seen, that Benedict is aware that he is no longer enforcer of doctrine and this is not about what he thinks and believes, but rather this is about God and a much deeper and richer tradition to be applied in today's world.
[size=4]Violence is incompatible with the nature of God and the nature of the soul -- Benedict XVI[/size]

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply