Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
What else could I have done.
Topic Started: Aug 26 2005, 07:18 PM (621 Views)
Newpianoplayer
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
Two weeks ago, the owner of the Cyber Café where I volunteer was attacked by an irate customer. He suffered 11 stab wounds, multiple head trauma, two punctured lungs and his right leg is paralyzed. I was in a back room with a customer when the attack occurred. A student was in a front room next to the commotion. There wasn’t a phone or an emergency alarm in the back room. I was just heading out the back exit to the fire escape so I could go outside and get help when the attacker left. I rushed to the front and found a phone to call 911. The customer and student left. The attacker used a knife and a 60 inch walking stick. He turned himself in and has been charged with attempted murder. The doctors have said the owner would have eventually bled out or suffocated because of his collapsed lungs. His family was initially furious with me for not intervening in the attack and for talking to the police. I was interviewed for 2 hours. They do not want me to come in to the shop again. They have since apologized but I am still agonizing over what I could have done. I have arthritis and suffered a stroke last month. I was afraid if I intervened I would have been seriously injured.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

pianojerome
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
You probably saved his life, because you called the police and they came to his aid. Otherwise, he might have bled to death.

What else could you have done?

The man was obviously very angry, and out-of-control of his own emotions, and, of most importance, he had a weapon (and I'm assuming you didn't.)
Sam

pianojerome
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Of most importance, though, I really hope your boss pulls through. That must have been very frightening for everyone, especially for your boss, and hopefully he'll be alright.
Sam

ivorythumper
Member Avatar
I am so adjective that I verb nouns!
Unless you are a trained fighter and were well armed, then you did the right thing. You got help. Good for you.

They should be ashamed of their treatment of you -- you have nothing to be ashamed of. Why should they be upset that you talked to the police -- what the hell do they have to hide?
The dogma lives loudly within me.

Newpianoplayer
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
pianojerome
Aug 26 2005, 07:28 PM
Of most importance, though, I really hope your boss pulls through.  That must have been very frightening for everyone, especially for your boss, and hopefully he'll be alright.

He was in the ICU 10 days. Now all of the facial wounds have completely healed. He had cut 4 inches long and 2 inches wide on his forehead that isn't even noticable. The face receives a large blood supply and heals quickly. He is waiting for a bed in a rehab hospital for his leg.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
Ok.. so the attacker stabs and disables you too. As a result the owner dies, and maybe you too.

You have naught to be ashamed of or sorry for. You did the best thing.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jgoo
Member Avatar
Administrator
I'm glad to hear that he's doing better now, Newpianoplayer! It sounds to me like you did the right thing. You may have been in the same boat as him if you had tried to stop the attacker. You got help and saved a life, that's all that you could do, and it was the right thing to do.

I agree with IT. The family treated you badly. If it wasn't for you, it sounds as though your boss would be dead right now.

Friday
Senior Carp
There was nothing else you could have done. You didn't do anything wrong. Stop agonizing already and be thankful that both you and the owner are alive.

ps
I'm glad you're okay.

Newpianoplayer
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
jgoo
Aug 26 2005, 07:50 PM
I'm glad to hear that he's doing better now, Newpianoplayer! It sounds to me like you did the right thing. You may have been in the same boat as him if you had tried to stop the attacker. You got help and saved a life, that's all that you could do, and it was the right thing to do.

I agree with IT. The family treated you badly. If it wasn't for you, it sounds as though your boss would be dead right now.

One of his sisters is married to a criminal lawyer. She suggested that the customer, student and I collaborated with the attacker. That is why we didn't intervene. They know the attacker and said he is not a bad person. All I had to do was reason with him and he would have stopped his attack. They said he has a personality disorder and experiences emotions more intense than the average person does.

jodi
Member Avatar
Fulla-Carp
How frightening! Those people are beside themselves with hurt, anger, and fear, and are taking it out on you. It is very unfair of them. You have NOTHING to be ashamed of, you did the best that you could. Glad your boss is recovering, and that you did not get hurt.

Jodi
:) Jodi
my artlog ~ todayatmydesk.weebly.com

Friday
Senior Carp
That family has a disorder.

If I were you I would have nothing more to do with them.

AlbertaCrude
Bull-Carp
Friday
Aug 26 2005, 08:08 PM
That family has a disorder.

If I were you I would have nothing more to do with them.

I agree with Friday- it's the family with the disorder. You did what you had to do and could do under the circumstances.

JoeB
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
"They know the attacker and said he is not a bad person." :doh:
"There are many ingredients in the stew of annoyance." - Bucky Katt

The 89th Key
Member Avatar

Hey, there were 3 things you could have done:

1. Joined the fight.
2. Gone to get help.
3. Hide under the desk.

Given what you said about the situation and your condition, the ONLY option was #2, in my opinion.

If you had done #1, you would have been hurt. I don't care how small or big a person is, when they have adrenaline flowing, NOTHING can stop them.

If you did #3, I could see a reason to feel a little guilty.

Since you did #2, you saved his life...and yours. You should be proud!

Mark
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
I agree with everyone here. You did the right thing given your circumstances.
___.___
(_]===*
o 0
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells

jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
I also think you did the right thing. But I disagree with those who say you should have nothing more to do with the family. If they have since come to their senses I would forgive them, people are allowed an irrational moment in such circumstances.

Just curious - what sparked the 'irate customers' rampage? Any idea what his motive was?
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

dolmansaxlil
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Newpianoplayer
Aug 27 2005, 12:02 AM
jgoo
Aug 26 2005, 07:50 PM

One of his sisters is married to a criminal lawyer. She suggested that the customer, student and I collaborated with the attacker. That is why we didn't intervene. They know the attacker and said he is not a bad person. All I had to do was reason with him and he would have stopped his attack. They said he has a personality disorder and experiences emotions more intense than the average person does.

How do they expect YOU to know that information. I mean, you can't make any assumptions with someone who is being violent. Stepping into a fight where someone is being stabbed and beaten?? NO ONE should do that type of thing. A friend of mine is a cop, and she told me about walking into a store robbery one night (she got to the glass door, saw what was happening but wasn't seen). She was off duty, and so wasn't armed. The guy had a knife. She called 911. Her feeling on it was that you can't call for help if you get physically involved.

You did the right thing.
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Flickr Photostream

Newpianoplayer
Member Avatar
Senior Carp
jon-nyc
Aug 27 2005, 12:35 AM

Just curious - what sparked the 'irate customers' rampage? Any idea what his motive was?

We design websites. He wanted his website prioritised ahead of the other work orders and wasn't willing to wait until it was ready. I heard shouting that 'this is no way to run a business'

apple
one of the angels
"She suggested that the customer, student and I collaborated with the attacker. That is why we didn't intervene. They know the attacker and said he is not a bad person. All I had to do was reason with him and he would have stopped his attack"

If they 'knew' him they would know that collaboration would be improbable. a cyber cafe, website designer, a brother in law lawyer.
It's a making of a fine mystery.

You did the right thing
it behooves me to behold

LadyElton
Fulla-Carp
Newpianoplayer
Aug 26 2005, 11:02 PM
One of his sisters is married to a criminal lawyer. She suggested that the customer, student  and I collaborated with the attacker. That is why we didn't intervene. They know the attacker and said he is not a bad person. All I had to do was reason with him and he would have stopped his attack. They said he has a personality disorder and experiences emotions more intense than the average person does.

"he is not a bad person."

People have said the same thing about serial killers and school killers. If the attacker has a personality disorder, shouldn't he be on meds? If he is, they obviously aren't working. Don't listen to the sister. She is upset that someone she knows could attack her brother and she is taking that anger out on you. You can't reason with someone when the adreneline is flowing and his emotions are running wild. He was not thinking clearly and would not have listened to reason.

You did the right thing and saved your boss' life. No reason for you to feel guilty. Tell the naysayers to shove it. I'm glad your boss is going to be ok.
Hilary aka LadyElton

kentcouncil
Fulla-Carp
You did exactly the right thing. Were the victim a relative of mine, I would still think so. I know of trained military and law-enforcement personel who would agree, too.

I disagree with Jon's advice. The irrationality and lack of gratitude the family demonstrates, particularly the sister's conspiracy theory, is beyond the pale even given the circumstances, and would indicate to me that you are better off with these people out of your life.
It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A. B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't.

- P.G. Wodehouse

The 89th Key
Member Avatar

Newpianoplayer
Aug 27 2005, 09:06 AM
jon-nyc
Aug 27 2005, 12:35 AM

Just curious - what sparked the 'irate customers' rampage?  Any idea what his motive was?

We design websites. He wanted his website prioritised ahead of the other work orders and wasn't willing to wait until it was ready. I heard shouting that 'this is no way to run a business'

Oh jeez, part of my company that I'm starting includes designing website. (We're an ad agency)

Note to self: Communicate with customers only over the phone and internet. If they visit, they must walk through a metal detector. :ph43r:

jgoo
Member Avatar
Administrator
Newpianoplayer
Aug 26 2005, 09:02 PM

So wait a minute, they still believe him to be a good person after this attack, yet treat you in the way they did??? Sounds to me like your boss' family has issues.

Mikhailoh
Member Avatar
If you want trouble, find yourself a redhead
Scott Peterson is quite charming too, I hear.

But for someone to suggest that you COLLABORATED????? Jon, I think that oes beyond an irrational moment. That is a mindset I cannot fathom, and I've been through great crises of this order.

Just 'cause you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead - Lucille Ball

passthesalt
Junior Carp
You did exactly the right thing - years ago, I was a flight attendant for American Airlines and worked the all-nighter from NYC to San Jose. There were many fights and knifings on those trips (drunks in Section E, for some reason).

After three flight attendants were seriously hurt trying to intervene, the airline told us to never, EVER, try to break the fights up, but to get help.

This attacker sounded crazed - unless you're phenomenally big and strong, or well-trained or armed, you probably would've been hurt badly- who'd be left then to go for help?

Sounds to me like you kept your cool. Good on you.

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: