Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
tough call, i know.
false witness 1 (5.6%)
keep Sabbath 6 (33.3%)
stealing 0 (0%)
no other gods 1 (5.6%)
murder 1 (5.6%)
honor mom and pop 1 (5.6%)
graven image 0 (0%)
adultery 3 (16.7%)
covetousness 4 (22.2%)
misusing Lord's name 1 (5.6%)
Total Votes: 18
Of the Ten Commandments..; ..which is the most difficult to follow?
Topic Started: Jun 30 2005, 05:15 AM (831 Views)
jon-nyc
Member Avatar
Cheers
You have to pick just one.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

apple
one of the angels
as of now it's a six way tie.. hahaha
it behooves me to behold
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

kenny
HOLY CARP!!!
Well. . .

I haven't murdered anybody.

Yet. ;)

Mark
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
I object!

The "misusing Lord's name" is entirely wrong! The commandment reads:

Quote:

Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain

This only states that one should not take the name of the Lord thy God as one's own name!

In other words, you should not be so *vain* as to proclaim yourself *God*.

Everyone gets this commandment wrong.
___.___
(_]===*
o 0
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells

Axtremus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
For future reference, if you want to make a poll that forces people to pick "just one," select the "Single Choice(1)" option. If you want people to pick "any two," use the "Multiple Choice(2)" option. For picking "any three," use the "Multiple Choice(3)" option, and so on an so forth. :)

Keeping Sabbath is probably the hardest because of time zone issues... and if you happen to live in the North Pole or travel to the South Pole, your measure of "day/night" would be different... I don't think the operational definition of the Sabbath has fully taken into account the issues of time-zone and variable lengths of day/night on different parts of the Earth.

Mark
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
But Ax! Why should that be any different from any other part of the Bible?

Scientific fact was apparently ignored or those who refused to be ignored were put to death.

Don't you just love that the multitudes of people in the middle ages were religious out of fear of their fellow humans vs the fear of God?

oops! did I just hijack this thred? :P
___.___
(_]===*
o 0
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
That Graven Image thing is where I have problems.

I keep praying to my garden gnome!
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.

Mark
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
LOL!
___.___
(_]===*
o 0

Improviso
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Mark
Jun 30 2005, 10:41 AM
This only states that one should not take the name of the Lord thy God as one's own name!

In other words, you should not be so *vain* as to proclaim yourself *God*.

Everyone gets this commandment wrong.

Can I assume then, that any mexican named Jesus (pronouced Hay- zeus) is going directly to hell, not passing *Go* and not collecting $200 ???? :wink:
Identifying narcissists isn't difficult. Just look for the person who is constantly fishing for compliments
and admiration while breaking down over even the slightest bit of criticism.

We have the freedom to choose our actions, but we do not get to choose our consequences.

Mark
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
That would be a resounding yes improv!

Their parents will also be joining them for giving them that name.
___.___
(_]===*
o 0

pianojerome
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
I don't find any of them particularly difficult to follow... :confused:

I chose "covetousness", though, because we always want something that we don't have (that our friends or relatives do have).
Sam

NAK-1.0
Senior Carp
I'd say covetousness and adultery are the two hardest things. After all, "If a man merely looks at a woman lustfully..."

Mark
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
NAK
Jun 30 2005, 10:06 AM
After all, "If a man merely looks at a woman lustfully..."

Where in the ten commandments does it say that NAK?

Adultery is actually committing the act of sex with someone who is married to someone else or not married to you if you are married.

Wasn't it Bill Clinton who set the precedent that oral sex is not sex?

Wow! That just blew me away when I heard it. I heard it being repeated by teens during the Clinton administration and even hear it to this day.

Some legacy Bill. :rolleyes:
___.___
(_]===*
o 0

pianojerome
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Mark
Jun 30 2005, 02:15 PM
Wasn't it Bill Clinton who set the precedent that oral sex is not sex?

Wow! That just blew me away when I heard it. I heard it being repeated by teens during the Clinton administration and even hear it to this day.

Oral sex is not sex.

You didn't know that?
Sam

NAK-1.0
Senior Carp
Mark
Jun 30 2005, 11:15 AM
NAK

Adultery is actually committing the act of sex with someone who is married to someone else or not married to you if you are married.

It doesn't say it in the 10 Commandments. Christ elaborates on it in Matthew 5:27-30.

I guess how you answer will depend on how you understand the sin itself. You could take it to be the actual physical committing as presented in the 10 Commandments, or you could focus more on the intent of the heart. I've commited adultery countless times in my life without laying a finger on the women. The same thing goes for murder.

Mark
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
NAK
Jun 30 2005, 10:58 AM
Mark
Jun 30 2005, 11:15 AM
NAK

It doesn't say it in the 10 Commandments. Christ elaborates on it in Matthew 5:27-30.

I guess how you answer will depend on how you understand the sin itself. You could take it to be the actual physical committing as presented in the 10 Commandments, or you could focus more on the intent of the heart. I've commited adultery countless times in my life without laying a finger on the women. The same thing goes for murder.

That's just a load of BS.

And Christ doesn't elaborate, Mathew does.

I am still searching for that elusive book of Jesus.

I mean couldn't the supposed son of god write? :rolleyes2:
___.___
(_]===*
o 0

pianojerome
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
What is wrong with lusting for another woman in your heart without acting upon it?

Yes, it is forbidden in the ten commandements to actually act upon those desires, but why should it be forbidden to feel those desires? Every human being (for the most part) feels innate sexual desires. How can we be expected not to feel this emotions which are, in a sense, the necessity of our human survival?
Sam

Mark
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
It is not forbidden.

It is fundamentalist/wacko crap.
___.___
(_]===*
o 0

NAK-1.0
Senior Carp
I don't mean to sound like a Bible-thumper, if that's how it comes across. I thought this was a Biblically-focused thread, so I'm taking the whole Bible into account when I respond. Sorry if I offended.

pianojerome
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Mark
Jun 30 2005, 03:17 PM
It is not forbidden.

It is fundamentalist/wacko crap.

Who's the wacko, Mark? The religious folk or the atheists?

Edit: Not meant as an insult, by the way. Many atheists - yourself included - certainly are not what I would consider to be "wackos."
Sam

Mark
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Who said I was an atheist? :confused:
___.___
(_]===*
o 0

pianojerome
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Mark
Jun 30 2005, 04:07 PM
Who said I was an atheist? :confused:

I don't quite mean atheist. Nevermind.
Sam

Siddhartha
Member Avatar
Middle Aged Carp
pianojerome
Jun 30 2005, 03:14 PM
What is wrong with lusting for another woman in your heart without acting upon it?

Plenty!! You wont get any that way.

dolmansaxlil
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
Siddhartha
Jun 30 2005, 04:54 PM
pianojerome

*snicker
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Flickr Photostream

AlbertaCrude
Bull-Carp
Siddhartha
Jun 30 2005, 12:54 PM
pianojerome

Sidd that's the most experienced & matter of fact observation I've heard in here in days.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The New Coffee Room · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: