Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The New Coffee Room. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Amber Alert Ticker
Topic Started: May 5 2005, 03:24 PM (923 Views)
jgoo
Member Avatar
Administrator
I have just added an Amber Alert Ticker for amber alerts in the United States on these forums. You will notice the Amber Alert Ticker at the bottom of every page. Please scroll down every once in a while to check on it, and let's all help keep our children safe!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jgoo
Member Avatar
Administrator
This was pinned but by looking at the number of views nobody was really taking notice of it up there. I'll re-pin this in a little while. I just want people to know about this, it's important.

MrsKB
Member Avatar
Middle Aged Carp
thanks jgoo!!! :biggrin:
Winning is a habit. Watch your thoughts, they become your beliefs. Watch your beliefs, they become your words. Watch your words, they become your actions. Watch your actions, they become your habits. Watch your habits, they become your character. ~Vince Lombardi

NAK-1.0
Senior Carp
uhgc

Luke's Dad
Member Avatar
Emperor Pengin
:thumb: :clap:
The problem with having an open mind is that people keep trying to put things in it.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Fizzygirl
Fulla-Carp
Excellent jgoo! :thumb:
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a purpose. ~ Garrison Keillor

My latest videos.

TomK
HOLY CARP!!!
That's how it started with Frank!

jgoo
Member Avatar
Administrator
TomK
May 5 2005, 05:59 PM
That's how it started with Frank!

How what started?

NAK-1.0
Senior Carp
8uyhg

jgoo
Member Avatar
Administrator
But what IS it? Is it a good thing or a bad thing? Do you want me to remove the amber alert ticker? :confused:

jgoo
Member Avatar
Administrator
Where'd you go, Tom?

TomK
HOLY CARP!!!
jgoo
May 5 2005, 09:25 PM
Where'd you go, Tom?

No, it's a great thing jgoo. I'm all for it.

jgoo
Member Avatar
Administrator
Okay then. I'm going to repin this topic now.

Axtremus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
If you use laptop computer regularly, you'd notice that the Amber Alert ticker is actually quite CPU-intensive -- it makes your CPU hot and drains your battery fast.

The concept of incorporating Amber Alert to the website is good and I am for it, but the "running ticker" implementation of that concept is bad, and I am against this particular implementation of the concept.

I'd much prefer a static text box with Amber Alert information that gets updated every time you load a page rather than a running ticker.

jgoo
Member Avatar
Administrator
Are you serious? I never use anything but my laptop these days. I didn't see any options for a non-ticker informant though.

Matt G.
Member Avatar
Middle Aged Carp
Check your chain, jgoo. It just got yanked.

jgoo
Member Avatar
Administrator
Hahaha, I was wondering why the ticker would have that effect on a laptop. LOL, I'm so gullible sometimes! :redface:

Axtremus
Member Avatar
HOLY CARP!!!
OK... now that I've got a chance to investigate this further, here's what I've found:

1. There's no indication of excessive CPU usage attributable to the Amber Alert ticker on Windows systems. I've verified that on an Sony Viao laptop running Internet Explorer on Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, and on a very old Dell Dimension desktop running Internet Explorer on Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional.

2. On Apple Macintoshes running OS X 10.3, when visiting this site with JavaScript enabled, the Amber Alert ticker would run and the "top" utility would show high CPU usage (20+%). If I visit this site with JavaScript disabled, then the Amber Alert ticker would not run and the "top" utility would report near zero CPU usage. This is true on an old G3 iMac DV SE and a not-so-old PowerBook G4 "Titanium," and it is true for the Safari browser and the OmniWeb browser.

So... it turns out the Amber Alert ticker is fine on Windows system... my OS X browsers just have lousy JavaScript implementations. :cursing:

The good thing is that unlike the Piano World site where lots of things break if I browse with JavaScript disabled... this site seems to work fine with JavaScript disabled, so I think I'm just going to browse this site with JavaScript disabled when using a Mac. :D

George K
Member Avatar
Finally
Isn't it time to kill this 4 year old thread?

I'm just sayin...
A guide to GKSR: Click

"Now look here, you Baltic gas passer... "
- Mik, 6/14/08

Nothing is as effective as homeopathy.

Given the way acetaminophen and alcohol donít mix, I havenít kept a bottle of Tylenol anywhere in the house for years.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

big al
Member Avatar
Bull-Carp
Really slow day in the OR, George? :confused:

Or has being nominated as poster of the year made you power-mad? :devilgrin:

Big Al

"jesu, der simcha fun der man's farlangen."
-bachophile

« Previous Topic · Important Topics · Next Topic »
Add Reply