The BBxRae Shrine
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The BBxRae Shrine: Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Antipathy for the Devil; A New Article by Lizard-Man
Topic Started: Feb 6 2011, 12:12 PM (1,733 Views)
Lizard-Man
Member Avatar
Global Moderator
Editorial Staff
I figured I'd post this since it's my contribution to the site. For those who don't know, I've been working on an article detailing Trigon's deminishing place in Teen Titans, from lord of evil to weak plot device and the effect it has had on Raven and the Titans in general.

I make a case based on how Trigon has appeared over the years, how he's been used and in what capacity he's been used in. In the end I explain exactly what the writers can do about it and in fact what I believe must be done before Trigon losses all relevance as a character completely.

So take a read ladies and gentlemen, and be sure to leave your comments here or in the comment section of the article itself.

http://main.the-bbxrae-shrine.net/2011/02/...-for-the-devil/
Posted Image

Posted Image

Support the Kickstarter for "Lovecraft: Fear of the Unkown - New Blu Edition"

Sig by C18G, thanks a bundle
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Xipz
Member Avatar

TBRS VIP
I greatly enjoyed this article, and I have to say, I agree with you.

Even the Titans Missions in DCUO revolve around Trigon. The red guy needs to go. Forevers. Or at least until some time in the late 201X's.
Have a Nintendo 3DS? My Friend Code: 4640-0036-0675

GhettoMac
Member Avatar
Marshal
Truth be told, I hope ol'four-eyes still around, but only for the sake of expanding his image anywhere else in the DCU besides the TT's, or at least have him face up against any other hero that doesn't involve Raven.
My Deviant Account

dl316bh
Member Avatar

Honorary Members
GhettoMac
Feb 7 2011, 12:24 AM
Truth be told, I hope ol'four-eyes still around, but only for the sake of expanding his image anywhere else in the DCU besides the TT's, or at least have him face up against any other hero that doesn't involve Raven.

I've always kinda wanted to see Trigon throw down with Darkseid over whose the baddest "Dark God" of them all.

My money's on Darkseid.
Posted Image

Damiens Omens: My review blog

My Facebook

Lizard-Man
Member Avatar
Global Moderator
Editorial Staff
Dl, that's not fair, that's no contest at all. Trigon is an evil demon lord.

Darkseid Is.

"I am many things Kal-El, but here I am God."

Seriously, Trigon got nothing on that.

Ghetto, that's a decent enough idea to get Trigon back in shape and actually becoming a serious villain without going into comic book limbo. But it's hard to seperate Raven and Trigon from each other at this point. It's easier for Trigon to just go away for awhile before all get so overly bored with him we no longer really care about his plans for world domination. He just doesn't have the same kind of staying power as other pillars of DC's villains community. He's no Lex or Joker, he certainly ain't a Darkseid.

Before Trigon can return to relevancy his rep needs to be re-established again, he needs be something surprising, not predictable in both motive and means. The Anti-Monitor for example, he's surprising and still has a pretty good evil rep because he hasn't been used as a plot device half the time. And his first return to comics in years in full working order was as a geriatric demon sitting on a throne. Anti-Monitor got face time as badass defacto Guardian of the Sinestro Corps in contrast and everyone instantly knew that he meant business and all bets were now off.

I mean sure, Trigon wants to conquer the world. That's fine. But he's always using Raven to do it. I would think a demon would be more creative and figure out another way other than taking over his daughter's mind. Branch out a little Red Man! You'd think you'd have realised by now this tactic ain't working. Darkseid wants to rule the universe with the anti-life equation, but he doesn't keep trying to turn Superman evil to do it ya know. Joker's always trying to drive Bats batty, but he doesn't keep to one set of jokes. He's a comedian, he realises they get stale after awhile.

So I think the best way for Trigon to get interesting again is for him to go on a nice vacation and have him pop up in an unexpected way doing something besides makiing Raven grow two extra pairs of eyes and get a sunburn. Hi reappearance needs to be unexpected, surprising and menacing. Not as a plot device but a full fledged bad guy.

Xipz further proves my point. Even in games they stick the Titans with Trigon. Sure that cutscene looked cool and awesome and everything, but it would be nice to have some variety in your foes wouldn't it? This whole thing just goes to show you a bigger problem at large, the titans need more rogues, stable, reoccuring, threatening rogues. Ones that are new, fresh and interesting. We need a new "Terror of Trigon" or "Judas Contract" kind of story that introduces us to a real villain that isn't just more of the same.

I really thank you lal for reading. I hope it was an informative little look at Trigon and Raven's history. I also hope the references to "Sympathy for the Devil" didn't get too distracting.
Posted Image

Posted Image

dl316bh
Member Avatar

Honorary Members
Lizard-Man
Feb 7 2011, 01:06 AM
Dl, that's not fair, that's no contest at all. Trigon is an evil demon lord.

Darkseid Is.

"I am many things Kal-El, but here I am God."

Seriously, Trigon got nothing on that.

I never said it was fair, I just basically want Darkseid to run around showing dudes like Trigon who's boss.

Quote:

So I think the best way for Trigon to get interesting again is for him to go on a nice vacation and have him pop up in an unexpected way doing something besides makiing Raven grow two extra pairs of eyes and get a sunburn. Hi reappearance needs to be unexpected, surprising and menacing. Not as a plot device but a full fledged bad guy.

He should totally get a Lantern ring and heckle the GL's for a while; I hear differently colored rings are all the rage these days.
Posted Image

Damiens Omens: My review blog

My Facebook

Lizard-Man
Member Avatar
Global Moderator
Editorial Staff
Oh I see what you did there.

Rage, Ring, Red Man, clever. XD

Yeah I thought "Trigon as a member of the Red Lantern Corps? Well, I guess it makes sense in theory." Probably something for the writers to ponder.

Still Dl, it would be a pretty short issue. One splash page of Darkseid omega beaming the **** out of him is better served as a fan art comission. But I do see the appeal nonetheless.

In any case, you haven't even told me what you thought of the article yet.
Posted Image

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · News and Announcements · Next Topic »
Add Reply