The BBxRae Shrine
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The BBxRae Shrine: Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Garfield, a stupid name!?!?!
Topic Started: Sep 16 2010, 12:51 PM (1,254 Views)
GhettoMac
Member Avatar
Marshal
I wasn't really sure whether to post this in the comic thread or not, but it kinda came with a question on one of our favorite charcters, and as craZ mentioned, we kinda need to post is thread a little more.

Anyways, I was rummaging through my favorite bookstore when I came upon the paperback collected books of the TTG series. Curiosity killin the cat, I skimmed through one for a quiet flip and came to TTG #28. You know, the one where the Doom Patrol tell about BB's time in the DP to the TT as they set the party decor. One page brought back a question that was in the back of my head for quite a while;

Posted Image

Yeah, I know that makin fun of BB's name was for comedic effect, much like Raven goin gaga over Aqualad (both really poor attempts in humor, BTW), but even before the series people thought that BB's real name was pretty stupid, or just the name in general, and that Garfield the Cat is the only exception.

I guess my question is alongside with Mento's, can someone explain to me how exactly is Garfield considered a dorky name????
My Deviant Account
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

dl316bh
Member Avatar

Honorary Members
They're stupid teenagers, I expect no less.

Frankly you could do a whole lot more in the joke or dork department with a name like "Dick" or even the full name of "Richard".
Posted Image

Damiens Omens: My review blog

My Facebook

Al
Member Avatar
Student No. 8
Honorary Members
I don't think it much matters what they think, because all of them are cerebral-palsy victims with massive overbites and no recognizably-humanoid anatomy.

WHO THE HELL THOUGHT THAT THIS WOULD BE A GOOD ART STYLE?!
Posted Image

Lizard-Man
Member Avatar
Global Moderator
Editorial Staff
Garfield was also the name of one the many US presidents that have been assassinated. He did rule for very long.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Support the Kickstarter for "Lovecraft: Fear of the Unkown - New Blu Edition"

Sig by C18G, thanks a bundle

GhettoMac
Member Avatar
Marshal
dl316bh
Sep 16 2010, 12:36 PM
They're stupid teenagers, I expect no less.

Oh, that's your excuse for everything, DL. XP

Quote:

Frankly you could do a whole lot more in the joke or dork department with a name like "Dick" or even the full name of "Richard".

Dick jokes go without sayin, and let's face it, it's too easy. Richard, I don't know, sounds pretty common.

Quote:

WHO THE HELL THOUGHT THAT THIS WOULD BE A GOOD ART STYLE?!
Todd Nauck actually a great artist, but when tryin his style with an anime rip-off, yeah, things do go sour.
My Deviant Account

dl316bh
Member Avatar

Honorary Members
The TTG! comic was definitely not Todd Nuacks best work. I think in some ways he was trying to uphold the style of the show. But for the most part, it often comes off like a bad manga rip-off; which, when you think about it, does go with the shows rampant anime rip-off style.

Ghetto

Oh, that's your excuse for everything, DL. XP

Leaf me alone. XP

Ghetto

Richard, I don't know, sounds pretty common.

I meant more along the lines of lame names. Say what you want about Garfield, but Richard is just... yeah.

Al

I don't think it much matters what they think, because all of them are cerebral-palsy victims with massive overbites and no recognizably-humanoid anatomy.

Not to mention their upper lips, which are prominent at all times.
Posted Image

Damiens Omens: My review blog

My Facebook

GhettoMac
Member Avatar
Marshal
dl316bh
Sep 16 2010, 02:36 PM
Ghetto

Richard, I don't know, sounds pretty common.

I meant more along the lines of lame names. Say what you want about Garfield, but Richard is just... yeah.

True, but if lame names are the case, then a lot of the TT in/out this series would be guilty. Take Vic; well, nothin wrong with that, but it seems to me if your last name is something strong sounding like Stone or Steele, your pretty much doomed to become an athlete/hero. Then of course there's Static's name and Traci 13 that makes me rise an eyebrow and giggle. And Raven, well, if the AS is based off of the Marv Wolfman arc, then that means she didn't name herself Rachel, meanin that the AS Raven has NO name/identity..................given the situation on the scan and this fact kinda brings the textbook definition of pathetic, doesn't it.

Even if she did give herself the name Rachel Roth in the AS, that's just another one for the list Same-Letter Identites; Bruce Banner, Peter Parker, Boston Brane, Reed Richards Guy Gardner, etc. I don't know why, but that patterning is just annoying to me.
My Deviant Account

KingoftheBeasts
Member Avatar
Lieutenant Commander
It's considered a "dorky" name because it isn't commonly used. Compound that with the fact that one of the only immediate examples people know the name from is a cat from the funnies and it becomes a name rather hard to build a serious reputation. I know this from first hand experience having a less-than average name.

The Cretin
Member Avatar
Corporal
Some old meanings of Garfield translate to "spear field" or "Field of Spears"???? In a way, that's kind of cool.

Richard has always been associated as a "leader's" name. Hence makes me wonder how "Dick" came to be the abbreviation.

Maybe it would've been better to leave BB's name as Mark instead of making it his middle name. (shrugs)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Beast Boy/Raven Relationship · Next Topic »
Add Reply