Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
I Wordcounted V4; Because I felt like it I guess
Topic Started: Oct 30 2017, 08:21 PM (354 Views)
MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So, last week when I was opening the store at 6 am I wondered who the longest character in V4 was by word count and there was only one way to figure it out so I ended up word-counting every character in V4 and thought folks might find the results interesting, especially combined with some calculations I ran. That said, before we get into it, there are a few things I'd like to note:

First off, word count is in no ways an indicator of quality. It's an indicator of length. In that capacity, it's a much better one than thread count, as we'll see shortly, but is still flawed—a one-shot, for examples, is weighted the same as that many words of a character hiding while someone else reads the John Galt speech out loud in the posts between theirs, and the latter is clearly a much higher load/commitment (unless you skip the stuff not by the character you're following).

Also, V4 had a bunch of characters who shared posts. These are marked with an asterisk (*). This can mean a lot or a little. Some characters, like, say, Ivan, have two or three early posts shared with someone they're killing or something. Others, like Marty and Josh, are basically joined at the hip and have probably close to 30% overlap with someone else. I did not bother hashing out which paragraphs belong to who, though, unless it was super obvious; I just threw it all in the pot and added a *.

This list includes only V4 proper. It does not have Pregame, Post-Game, or the Epilogue. Adding that stuff would take a while and dilute the comparative element by adding a bunch of stuff done off deadline.

I have this list ranked in two ways. The first is by placement—this is the exact death order. The second is listed from fewest to most words. This second list retains note of where the characters died, for point of interest—you'll see if someone with few words made it to the finals or if someone went out with a ton early.

I've also color-coded things a little. The first is pretty self-explanatory; characters in green got pulled in the V4 Rescue. Characters in purple, on the other hand, held the word count record among eliminated characters at the time of their death/rescue; these characters were the longest out to date at that precise moment.

I've also run some averages, grouped by announcement, that may prove mildly interesting.

To preempt the inevitable: I do plan to do, at a minimum, V5 and most Minis. That said, I gave myself some finger/wrist strain doing this so it'll be a while. I may eventually do V6 but wanna let the ground there cool a bit first/the game actually end. I may also do V2/3, but quirks of the era combine with my own unfamiliarity to make that trickier. I will almost certainly not do V1; the V1 site is hard to read and Invisionfree lacks some functions that were pretty key to doing this without going totally insane.

That said, for a point of trivia/interest, I did do V1 Dodd. He weighs in at 155,250* including Endgame but not the Epilogue. Epilogue-inclusive, he's at 198,950*—nearly double the V4 high score. This does not include his V3 stuff.

List by Death Order

List from lowest to highest word count

List of rescued students only from lowest to highest wordcount

Top 25 longest of V4 sorted longest to shortest if you don't wanna sift

Averages

Note, in the averages, that each announcement's average grows with a few exceptions. There's a drop from the Fifth to the Sixth Announcement I'm gonna call "The Clio Effect"—Clio's stats were so much higher than anyone else at the time that she actually single-handedly pulls the average for the Fifth Announcement up. The Rescued characters also beat those who died for the Tenth Announcement, but I think that's due to the high proportion of characters in the rescue who were favorites to their handlers (which tends to correlate to more writing).

Fun trivia: V4 is roughly three times the size of In Search of Lost Time and roughly six times the size of Atlas Shrugged. It is longer than the entire Wheel of Time series. It is also longer than The Mahabharata. This count is excluding Pregame. ;)

I'll likely pull out more stuff for highlight and discussion later, but in the mean time have fun poking through the fruits of my pointless obsession.
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MurderWeasel
Member Avatar
You've been counting stars, now you're counting on me
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I have now word-counted every completed version on Mini and Main. Yes, even V1. Yes, it was a nuisance.

I'm still parsing the data, but my plan is to make a thread on each site and put posts up a version at a time as I calculate the averages (this actually takes quite a while to do). I'll also keep a running all-time list for each site updated with each version (so we'll see how the standings changed each version) and then a final cross-site tally.

My current template is as follows:
Code:

[center][big][b]#VERSION Wordcount Stats[/b][/big][/center]

[spoiler=#VERSION by death order]
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=#VERSION ordered from shortest to longest][list=1][*]
[/list][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Twenty-Five/Ten longest of #VERSION ordered from longest to shortest][list=1][*]
[/list][/spoiler]
[spoiler=By-announcement averages of #VERSION]
[/spoiler]

[hr]

[center][big][b]All-Time Stats[/b][/big][/center]

[spoiler=All-time list ranked short to long circa #VERSION][list=1][*]
[/list][/spoiler]
[spoiler=All-time top fifty ranked long to short circa #VERSION][list=1][*]
[/list]
[b]Distribution:[/b]
[list][*]V1/BRAU:
[*]#VERSION:[/list][/spoiler]
[spoiler=All-time averages circa #VERSION]
[/spoiler]

Legend:
[list][*]Purple = Character was the longest character eliminated at the time of their elimination.
[*]Green = Character was involved in the V4 rescue, and thus their story ended preemptively.
[*]Orange = Character was involved in the V3 Escape, which is counted as it contains several characters entire stories, however it also inflates totals notably.
[*]@ = Character shared a notable chunk of at least one post with another character, thus inflating their totals. This may be minor or major.
[/list]

Is there anything missing here that folks would like to see? Off the top of my head, I'm excluding a "Bottom [whatever]" because that info is already conveyed in the short -> long ranking and redundancy is not elegant. I'll be doing a top ten for any version with fewer than 100 characters (so, Minis) and a top twenty-five for versions with more than 100 characters (so, Mains). The ultimate cross-site tally will have an all-time top 100.

Aside from that, now's the best time to get feedback in before I start rolling these out. I'll start with V1 and the BR AU and probably trade back and forth between sites as I go. V6 will be added as promptly as possible upon its conclusion (unless I'm not to it yet when it ends).
V7:
Juliette Sargent
Alton Gerow
Lavender Ripley
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply