Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The V1 Read-A-Thon
Topic Started: Sep 28 2017, 07:14 PM (6,193 Views)
I'm a Cactus
Member Avatar
do you want to go to war, balakay?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Oh, man. V1. What a gongshow that was.

My sincerest apologies to anyone who has to sit through my crap.

Glad to see y'all are still going strong. V1 was a very different beast (read: nobody in SOTF today would die of AIDS).
---
The Future

The Past

Meanwhile...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

I'm a Cactus
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Can we file this under "I wish I knew, and I'd love to go back in time and give 19-20 year-old me a smack upside his stupid head"?

The best I can come up with is that I was going for shock value but, like what the hell. Trust me, I'm as disgusted with it as you are. Perhaps more.
---
The Future

The Past

Meanwhile...

I'm a Cactus
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm going to start having flashbacks but if there's any characters who need doing... Sign me up.
---
The Future

The Past

Meanwhile...

I'm a Cactus
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So here we go. Edward Rommel. Stream of consciousness time, which means - yeah, it's gonna be long.

Tripping over himself all day, err'day

Conclusion:

Do I recommend Edward? Kind of. I've gone back and forth on it.

Is he Z's best work as a writer? No. He's a short character, and a lot of his journey is twisted around by weird posting orders and some people who probably weren't as active as they should have been. He's a sweet boy, and none of his pre-written player stuff comes into play, but he doesn't get the same level of characterization or story as any of riser's longer-lived characters, probably because of bad luck in threads he was in. There's also the issue of the characterization of his autism, which is problematic because of what we know today, in 2017. It doesn't hold up, but that's a product of the times, so we need to remember that.

Why I do ultimately recommend him is in service of the characters that he meets along the way. Jacob Starr, Garrett Langston, Adam Dodd, Hawley Faust - even Aiden Ambrose and Daisuke Ando are characters that are worth a read and Edward is surrounded by them at pretty much every turn. You get kind of a secondary look at a lot of the bigger early characters during his story, and you even get to see a bit of Uriel Hunter, who I will always have a soft spot for, and the first in-joke in SOTF site history happens in a thread that Edward literally is in the midst of leaving (Minase and his death from autoimmune disorder).

By himself, I don't know if he's super compelling, but he reacts appropriately to all of the stuff going on around him, and I sort of wish that he'd been around a little longer so riser could have delved into some of the perks of his bio. But you have to remember at this point in 2005, the site wasn't very big, and there weren't a huge number of characters to follow at the beginning of the game like there would be in games today.

So yeah, give him a read. He's reflective of early SOTF site culture and writing, even if he wasn't his author's best effort, he can act as a gateway of sorts. Almost every character he interacts with is worth reading, and his stuff with Garrett is nice, if not really short. Would have been nice to see those two continue on.

I'd take another, if there's one to take.
---
The Future

The Past

Meanwhile...

I'm a Cactus
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Katherine Marks - a character that on first glance, I blanked on. So this will be as illuminating to y'all as it will be for me.

I kept misspelling her name with a C through this write-up

Conclusion:

So, Katherine Marks - how was my trip through your short but eventful life? Actually, pretty good. Kaishi was one of the strongest writers in the original v1 run, and it's clear that she knew exactly what she wanted the site to be before any of the rest of us figured it out. Katherine is a fully formed character, and while I feel that maybe her story got expedited a little bit after her battle with Jacob, I actually really enjoyed her death post and her encounter with Aaron.

There isn't much to say, outside of yeah, give Katherine a read. She's a solid, short character and I think she's well done. Hearing that Kaishi is still writing today, 12 years later doesn't surprise me at all, because you can see that the talent is definitely there from the get-go.
---
The Future

The Past

Meanwhile...

I'm a Cactus
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I forgot to put in my post to say roll me another, but like, I'm pretty sure we have one left, so any objections if I take the last remaining?
---
The Future

The Past

Meanwhile...

I'm a Cactus
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So this'll be... short. Since I've apparently become allergic or air or something and I'm barely coherent, thanks to antihistamines. Wheeeeeeeee.

if a woman has starch masks on her body does that mean she has been pargnet before.?

Conclusion:

Do yourself a favour and SKIP THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS OUT OF THIS. It's very short, and very, very much a waste of my time. The best part about this was getting to listen to the youtube video "how is prangent formed" and its sequel "curse of the weggy board" a few times while writing it, because this just sucked.

Also, Ash Holmes fully no-sells a bullet to the chest that LEAVES A HOLE IN HIS CHEST.

I read ahead to see if he fully forgets about it. He does, but he only lasts another page before Cillian Crowe comes along and knives him in the brain. Oy, V1.

*bows out*
---
The Future

The Past

Meanwhile...

I'm a Cactus
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
YESSSS. GJ MY MAN. Stick around! Hahaha!
---
The Future

The Past

Meanwhile...

I'm a Cactus
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
OnceForgotten
Dec 19 2017, 07:32 PM
I'm a Cactus
Dec 19 2017, 07:22 PM
YESSSS. GJ MY MAN. Stick around! Hahaha!
Hey Adam. I could lie to you and say that I fully intend to be a mainstay from here on out, but who are we kidding.

I am still mostly dumbfounded that this board still exists and my embarrassing youth writing continues to live in all of its weird, rapey infamy.
Duuuude. I hear that!

I just popped back in a month ago and it sucked me back in.

Partially because... Hooo, boy. Some of that old stuff just hurts to read, and I'm convinced I can do better and unsully my name. :P
---
The Future

The Past

Meanwhile...

I'm a Cactus
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The following kids have been assigned and have been outstanding for a long ol' time. Dates are here.

I'm thinking it might be time to chuck all of these back into the pile?

26 - Devi Satome
43 - Hawley Faust (D/N) - Oct 8, 2017
52 - Cleo Barston
62 - Shinya Motomura
92 - Chance Burton
97 - Lyndi Thibodeaux
99 - Jill Gatling
102 - Clare Shephard
105 - Peri Barclay
106 - Takara Asano
108 - Scott Jameson
110 - Ryan Torres (NAFT) - Sept 28, 2017
111 - Toby Valerik
118 - Drew Lynn
123 - Adam Dodd (Fenris) - Sept 28, 2017

Any character with no name beside them is up for grabs again.
Edited by I'm a Cactus, Feb 1 2018, 12:20 AM.
---
The Future

The Past

Meanwhile...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply