Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The V1 Read-A-Thon
Topic Started: Sep 28 2017, 07:14 PM (7,038 Views)
I'm a Cactus
Member Avatar
do you want to go to war, balakay?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm going to start having flashbacks but if there's any characters who need doing... Sign me up.
---
The Future

The Past

Meanwhile...
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Inge
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
Cactus: Edward Rommel
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

TwelveFourtyFive
Member Avatar
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Looks like there are just 3 more people to be rolled.

Kermit
Member Avatar
eEeEEEeEEEeeEeeeee
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
oh look i've read all of the unrolled kids in my sprite-a-thon and I remember all of them being decent

gimme gimme i'll read whoever it is again when I'm done Jacob
"Kermit you are the guy in the horror movie that finds a book bound in human skin and decides to read out loud what is inside for fun" - some mean lady named Ruggahissy

i make art i think????

I'm a Cactus
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So here we go. Edward Rommel. Stream of consciousness time, which means - yeah, it's gonna be long.

Tripping over himself all day, err'day

Conclusion:

Do I recommend Edward? Kind of. I've gone back and forth on it.

Is he Z's best work as a writer? No. He's a short character, and a lot of his journey is twisted around by weird posting orders and some people who probably weren't as active as they should have been. He's a sweet boy, and none of his pre-written player stuff comes into play, but he doesn't get the same level of characterization or story as any of riser's longer-lived characters, probably because of bad luck in threads he was in. There's also the issue of the characterization of his autism, which is problematic because of what we know today, in 2017. It doesn't hold up, but that's a product of the times, so we need to remember that.

Why I do ultimately recommend him is in service of the characters that he meets along the way. Jacob Starr, Garrett Langston, Adam Dodd, Hawley Faust - even Aiden Ambrose and Daisuke Ando are characters that are worth a read and Edward is surrounded by them at pretty much every turn. You get kind of a secondary look at a lot of the bigger early characters during his story, and you even get to see a bit of Uriel Hunter, who I will always have a soft spot for, and the first in-joke in SOTF site history happens in a thread that Edward literally is in the midst of leaving (Minase and his death from autoimmune disorder).

By himself, I don't know if he's super compelling, but he reacts appropriately to all of the stuff going on around him, and I sort of wish that he'd been around a little longer so riser could have delved into some of the perks of his bio. But you have to remember at this point in 2005, the site wasn't very big, and there weren't a huge number of characters to follow at the beginning of the game like there would be in games today.

So yeah, give him a read. He's reflective of early SOTF site culture and writing, even if he wasn't his author's best effort, he can act as a gateway of sorts. Almost every character he interacts with is worth reading, and his stuff with Garrett is nice, if not really short. Would have been nice to see those two continue on.

I'd take another, if there's one to take.
---
The Future

The Past

Meanwhile...

Inge
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
Kermit: Dahlia Riviera

Cactus: Katherine Marks

I'm a Cactus
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Katherine Marks - a character that on first glance, I blanked on. So this will be as illuminating to y'all as it will be for me.

I kept misspelling her name with a C through this write-up

Conclusion:

So, Katherine Marks - how was my trip through your short but eventful life? Actually, pretty good. Kaishi was one of the strongest writers in the original v1 run, and it's clear that she knew exactly what she wanted the site to be before any of the rest of us figured it out. Katherine is a fully formed character, and while I feel that maybe her story got expedited a little bit after her battle with Jacob, I actually really enjoyed her death post and her encounter with Aaron.

There isn't much to say, outside of yeah, give Katherine a read. She's a solid, short character and I think she's well done. Hearing that Kaishi is still writing today, 12 years later doesn't surprise me at all, because you can see that the talent is definitely there from the get-go.
---
The Future

The Past

Meanwhile...

I'm a Cactus
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I forgot to put in my post to say roll me another, but like, I'm pretty sure we have one left, so any objections if I take the last remaining?
---
The Future

The Past

Meanwhile...

Kermit
Member Avatar
eEeEEEeEEEeeEeeeee
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
DAAAaaaAaaAAaAAAhhhHHLiIIiIAAaaAAA RIiiIIiIIIiiIiVIIiiiIIEeEEEEEEEEeeeEeEEEeRAaAaAAa!? hADDY SAYS ITs TiMe fOR US TO play HiDE AND SEeEeEeeeEEeeK! AUAUahUHUAUHAUHahaH aHaHAHaHehEhe HEHahaHAhEHEhuau ahuhUa AHuHUAuh AhAhahAhaHA AAAAAaaAaaaAaAaaAA aaAAaaaaaaaAaaAa!

Profile!

Dahlia's appearance is p. good for v1. She's got a h o t b o d but a n o t h o t face and big feet also

her bio is normal and i dont have much to say about it it's decent i guess

[quote-profile]Dahlia absolutely abhores violence and the sight of blood enough to make her faint. She has a particular fondness for babies and small furry animals.[/quote]

Oh you poor, innocent thing. I am so sorry about what will happen to you.

Island!?

Dahlia is sad. Reasonable.

The announcements come on and she's like ": O" because "Fawley Hawst" killed four people, so she goes and looks in her bag to see what weapon she got, and discovers a pickaxe. This makes her A N G E R Y so she tries to throw the pickaxe at a wall but, well, I'll just let the post speak for itself.

i h8 physics ugf

A pickaxe? What was she supposed to do with a pickaxe. Dahlia let out a scream of frustration and tossed it behind her head aiming for the gazebo platform. Instead of reaching it's target goal, the sharp blade of the pickaxe came down and stabbed her in the shoulder. She screamed out in shocked pain. The rain poured down around her as she clutched the spot that bled bright crimson.

lol

dahlia how

wat r u doin

Dahlia makes A N G E R Y noises at Danya, but then Oh NoOoOoOoOOOoOOoOoO! IT's CILLian CrOWe!

Cillian does Cillian things and Dahlia's like "get the fuck away what the fuck are you doing". Cillian does more Cillian things and Dahlia does more reasonable person things like run away, and Cillian being Cillian thinks this means it's time for some hIDE aNd gO sEek!

Dahlia hides underneath the gazebo and Cillian, having finished counting to ten, opens his eyes, and not being able to immediately spot Dahlia, has an A N G E R Y temper tantrum. Dahlia gets scurred and screams, allowing Cillian to know where she is.

Damn it Dahlia, you had one job.

Cillian kills Dahlia using his FINGERNAILS (WAT) like the slasher villain he is, so rip dahlia i guess.

Conclusion: She had a decent base to work off of, but she just ended up being Cillian fodder so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
"Kermit you are the guy in the horror movie that finds a book bound in human skin and decides to read out loud what is inside for fun" - some mean lady named Ruggahissy

i make art i think????

Blastinus
Member Avatar
That's Just Crazy Talk
[ *  *  *  * ]
It's actually kind of odd that I'd get Kichiro Taka right after Umi Martin. Call it serendipity, I suppose. Or just that he was one of the last kids remaining. Either way, his bio is pretty much nothing but his relationship with Umi, so let's just dive right in to the meat of the thing.

Oh jeez, we've got the ungrateful gits thing happening right at the start, as Kichiro tries to find shelter in a house, has his hands above his head, and yet the folks inside are still discussing how suspicious he is and how they should totally kill him. Like, here's how Kichiro responds to Terry Woodard accusing him of having a gun:
Quote:

"Common sense here, let's use some common sense," he started, not being able to stop the sarcasm, "I would have shot you already, had I a gun. Because, frankly, you don't. Or you would've shot me by now instead of having this little interrogation. I'm not here to play games, especially not their sadistic one where some serial killer wins. I just want to see where I stand on this!"

And Terry responds:
Quote:

"The reason you're not dead yet asshole is because I'm. not. playing.," Terry yelled back saying each word slowly and clearly.

Terry gripped the handle of the bat tighter in anger. God like he actually thinks that attitude is going to get him anywhere with us.

Like, seriously, there's a bit of an edge to Kichiro's defense, but he's not being a jerk, as far as I can tell. He's just somewhat impatient with a couple of folks who are dead-set on murdering him for something he isn't doing. Even when he does comply and show them his weapon, a stun gun, Terry still threatens him and acts like he's some high-strung murderer when he clearly isn't. He's just a sarcastic kid. It's actually KICHIRO who apologizes for how HE acted in the end, and that's...just a bit nonsensical. He gave up his bag when asked, never made a threatening move, and it was Terry and August Masbeth who were constantly plotting to murder him.

But, bygones having been declared and all that, they let Kichiro go, and it's time for Japanese 101 as he runs into Kiyoko and the two of them have a lengthy conversation that's only subtitled sometimes. Bonding over the fact that he actually knows her language, Kiyoko and Kichiro team up, and Kichiro's locking his arm around hers in just one more thread, though he claims it's just so he can "protect her". Sure, buddy. They meet Cassandra Roivas, and after a bit of initial distrust, they realize that they're not playing and settle down to discuss what their plans are and where to go from there.

You see that, Terry? It's what you call polite conversation.

The two having become three, they hear about Terry and August dying, and Kichiro is sad and vows revenge. Standard stuff. They then arrive at the Andrew Lipson death scene, which we've covered plenty of times, and oh no, Umi's right there, but he doesn't recognize her! Then he hears that the bamboo coppice is on fire and that Umi was just there, so he's off to the rescue, leaving her unknowingly behind at the cliff.

The way he dies is...odd. Basically he goes charging into the burning bamboo and chokes to death on the smoke, only realizing right before he collapses that he actually left Umi behind. I guess it's supposed to be tragic, but I dunno. Something about it isn't resonating with me. It seems so unmotivated by reason or logic and it's a bizarrely stupid way for a guy who was acting fairly intelligently before to meet his demise. Overall, it's a neutral ending, and that's how I feel about Kichiro in general. I didn't really hate or like him. He was just sort of there. I guess being average is better than being awful so...props for that, I guess?

If there are no kids left, then I'll bid this Read-a-Thon adieu. It's been fun!
V7 Kids

Inge
Member Avatar
Leader
[ *  *  * ]
Cactus: Sophie Maraschino

And with that, I believe that's everyone in V1 given away.

I'm a Cactus
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So this'll be... short. Since I've apparently become allergic or air or something and I'm barely coherent, thanks to antihistamines. Wheeeeeeeee.

if a woman has starch masks on her body does that mean she has been pargnet before.?

Conclusion:

Do yourself a favour and SKIP THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS OUT OF THIS. It's very short, and very, very much a waste of my time. The best part about this was getting to listen to the youtube video "how is prangent formed" and its sequel "curse of the weggy board" a few times while writing it, because this just sucked.

Also, Ash Holmes fully no-sells a bullet to the chest that LEAVES A HOLE IN HIS CHEST.

I read ahead to see if he fully forgets about it. He does, but he only lasts another page before Cillian Crowe comes along and knives him in the brain. Oy, V1.

*bows out*
---
The Future

The Past

Meanwhile...

OnceForgotten
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
Blastinus
Oct 20 2017, 12:36 AM
Well, nuts. Cody Jenson has been worming his way through so many of these stories, it's almost intimidating to have to deal with the man himself. Of one thing I am assured, Cody is perhaps the most prolific of characters in the entirety of V1, managing with one character to be a match for Dodd's entire cadre. Does that mean I like him as a character? Oh, heavens, no. But the impact he made on the story is tremendous, and that deserves a long, hard, look.

So without further ado, let's get this over with.

The Man, The Legend, The Motorcycle

Would I recommend Cody Jenson? Maybe? I absolutely hated him. Hated everything about him, but he's an important part of V1's history. Most of what he does is thoroughly skippable after the baton is passed, and I would never recommend Madelaine's death, or anything having to do with Lyndi, or the stuff about his backstory, or...You know what, no, don't read Cody Jenson. Just skip ahead to endgame and forget everything else about him. You'll have saved yourself so much time that way.

Well, roll 'em again. Here's hoping for someone actually fun.
This was hilarious. Thank you.
clever quip

I'm a Cactus
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
YESSSS. GJ MY MAN. Stick around! Hahaha!
---
The Future

The Past

Meanwhile...

OnceForgotten
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
I'm a Cactus
Dec 19 2017, 07:22 PM
YESSSS. GJ MY MAN. Stick around! Hahaha!
Hey Adam. I could lie to you and say that I fully intend to be a mainstay from here on out, but who are we kidding.

I am still mostly dumbfounded that this board still exists and my embarrassing youth writing continues to live in all of its weird, rapey infamy.
clever quip

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply