Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The V2 Read-o-thon; Olden days
Topic Started: Aug 24 2017, 06:45 PM (8,976 Views)
D/N
Member Avatar
Guy Maddin's favorite A.D.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Honing in on my sloooow readathon territory with a much faster version where most kids have two threads are you Rugga? Only way I can respond is to take a kid myself.
v6!
G058: Kaitlyn Greene aka Katy Buried - Horse Tranquilizer and Syringe
She Knew She'd Found Freedom - Questions - Fools - Barons - Opportunities - Sideshows - Dawns - Gulches

v5!
G038: Deanna Hull - Replica Freddy Glove - DECEASED
From Sea to Sky -Smoke--Sun--Tiki--Nine--Repeat--Talk--Now--Drift--Hunger--Valley--Fall--Rust--Paper--Heart--Sky-
B023: Jesse Jennings - Riz Action Figure - DECEASED
From Vision to Glory -Vision--Summon--Time--Plan--Length--Sleep--Cause-

v4!
B006: Ricky Fortino - Trowel - DECEASED
B022: Imraan Al-Hariq - Remington 870 - DECEASED
G036: Carly Jean Dooley - VASE D: - DECEASED
G077: Andrea Raymer - Gunpowder - ?????
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

D/N
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Sooo... thoughts on Matty Drew. He's good. Very much decent all the way through, because he's got a consistency to him in that he's in a stable enough storyline. For the most part.

So Matt's bio is fine for earlier standards. He's a stoner and likes sex. Yes, he also gets arrested every week but eh. Stick with the basics. So Matt, handled by baby_g, immediately wakes up and starts his (I presume) pre-planned island buddy comedy with Rob Adams, handled by the venerable Dan. So Matt is all like "let's have drugs and sex" and Rob is all like "whoa I am the slightly straighter arrow in the duo" and then Matt would be like "lol straight" and you get the idea. So the two of them go off.

And then Matt meets a recurring theme, in a seductive harlot appears to tempt him into sexytimes and he's all like "YES SEX" and Rob is all like "NO YOU MORON." I prepared for the worst.... and then Matt suddenly realizes as the girl is damn near mounting him that maybe some girl on death island blatantly trying to seduce him is a trap AND SO HE STOPS. I was.... fucking amazed, people. Intelligently making the right decision? Out of nowhere like that. Well, well done.

Matt and Rob go on and continue with their awkward buddy comedy banter, and it's kind of like watching two college-aged writers who are still learning write about what people found funny 10 years ago... which is exactly what it was. Which means lots of dialogue along the lines of "Hey Matt, keep your dick in your pants while I look around, haha!" "Yeah, I bet you want my dick BECAUSE YOU'RE GAY Rob, haha!" "Haha I love you bro!" You get the idea. It's not bad at all. Just a bit thin.

So they meet up with another girl named Anna who is a breath of Christian normalcy fresh air in all this stuff and she's too pure for Matt to possibly corrupt and I was looking forward to what happened next. Calvert comes in for a quick cameo to kill a guy while Rob watches and Matt and Anna stay back and it's really well done. Unfortunately Anna had already gone inactive at this point and so when Matt and Rob move on she... suddenly goes crazy and lets her collar detonate. Disappointing. Rob and Matt go to the hospital and get stoned and Matt scores a kill on a guy for attacking him and then eats some bread and forgets about it. Deaths and kills were reeeeeeallly glossed over in V2, I be finding. Seductive harlot #2 and some other guy show up and Matt and Rob wisely don't trust them both and split away from them for the night. That was good. But Rob's desire for ladysex gets the best of him and he goes to visit the harlot but she gives him a case of the ol' blue balls, and then Rob gets pissed at Matt and hits him in the balls himself and they sneak off from the harlot in the morning. It's better than I'm making it sound, trust me.

So they go back to pay their respects to Anna and while Rob's doing that seductive harlot #3 shows up and starts making out with Matt before Rob punches him in the face and eventually gets in a fight with the girl and kills her. Matty boy, you're losing me a bit here. They head to the river and drag away a girl named Stephanie in a scene that reads kinda weird, especially since in the next thread the three of them are acting like they've been together for days now. Matt and Stephanie don't like each other, and then Stephanie goes nutso on another girl and kills her and Matt gives Rob the option of him or her. Rob chooses his best buddy Matt so Stephanie kills herself and Matt makes more jokes. Yeah, this has gotten more sexist a read than it probably should have at this point. They decide to look for one of Rob's hockey buddies who will know how to escape. Sure.

Next thread they come across Kevin, Sera and Jana, and Kevin knocks Rob out and challenges Matt to fight him. Matt has a gun and could just shoot him but accepts. That's dumb, Matt. Kevin sweetens the deal by offering Matt sex with Sera if he wins the fight. Sera is cool with that. Graaah. Kevin is about to win but Rob wakes up and shoots him. Ahahahaha. I did like that. Sera and Jana are surprisingly chill with all this and agree to team up... and Rob sees some other guy he knows in the distance and walks off and disappears, never to be seen with Matt again.

GODDAMNIT. Really. That was a tremendously disappointing way to end the awkward buddy comedy team of v2 like that. Like.... it was fine. It worked! And then Rob walks off. Uggggh. Really leaves a sour taste in your mouth.

So Matt continues on with Sera and Jana. He kills another girl after acting like a total jackass and Jana fights with him and Sera and leaves. That leaves Matt alone with Sera, who promptly shows herself to be seductive harlot #4. And Matt finally gets his sex! Then he falls asleep and she shoots him.

That wasn't bad at all. Matt works, for the most part, given all the obvious disclaimers about being v2. He was a bit all over the place with his motivation, going from the unflappable likeable stoner to the misogynistic jackass, but you could see a fully developed character there. Good work.

Gimme another
v6!
She Knew She'd Found Freedom - Questions - Fools - Barons - Opportunities - Sideshows - Dawns - Gulches

v5!
From Sea to Sky -Smoke--Sun--Tiki--Nine--Repeat--Talk--Now--Drift--Hunger--Valley--Fall--Rust--Paper--Heart--Sky-

v4!

D/N
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Satoru Kamui. Not much to say here. He's Japanese and his parents are stereotypically ruthless perfectionists. Oh, he also was in a mental hospital for a year for no particular reason, but that's never expanded upon so we'll forget about it.

I check into pregame. His first thread has seven pages. NOPE. OK, I skim through. Satoru 1) is shy 2) looks like a girl because of his long hair. A girl named Ebody at school takes a shine to him and soon they're making out and declaring each other totes boyfriend and girlfriend. They meet another guy named Tybalt who angsts and Satoru blurts out he's bisexual. I don't think any of these people appeared on island and this is why pregame is dumb. Enough of that.

On-island, there's a nothing opening thread. Satoru walks off and walks into a day one sex scene between Venus Gwendolyn and Zed. Venus is apparently sexing Zed as part of a devious scheme to steal an American flag from him. Aaaaaa. Zed is thinking about video games. Satoru plots on whether to attack them or not and oh god I'm trying to avoid most of this sex scene but aaaaaaaaaa.

"Venus’ pearly white teeth sunk into the expired sausage and she bit hard."

aaaaaaaaaaaaa

While she's chomping on down, Satoru decides to rush them with his cat claws. I agree. He maybe stabs Zed in the arm and Venus runs away and Nich Finlayson shows up angrily. Satoru runs away but his hair gets caught in a tree branch and he thrashes around in a most pathetic fashion. Nich gives him an ax whack in the arm and they have a pretty perfunctory fight where they inflict a couple surface injuries before Satoru runs off and goes in active.

He surfaces some time on in a group inactivekill. And a half-decent one by early standards, by that! Good work, Megami. Satoru hides for a few days and meets up with Alexander Bee, whoever that is. Gigi Sinclaire stomps up and assumes Satoru is Alex's girlfriend. Heehee. Hey, it shows they actually read at least a bit on who the characters were, which is better than a lot of inactivekills get. ANYWAY, the three of them decide to wait out the rain on an abandoned boat and Danya explodes them for reasons.

So yeah, not much. His pregame was pointless and he had an islandthread where all he dead was interrupt a blowjob of death and get his hair tangled in a branch. He got a much better inactivedeath than most kids are getting this version though, so good on him for that.

ANOTHER.
v6!

v5!

v4!

D/N
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Welp. I had to get a Chad character eventually. Here we go with Jonathan Michaels.

Jonathan Michaels has a pregame thread where he plays with a lighter in the hallway as he ditches class due to the pregame murder taking everyone's attention or something? Another same-handler character named Jack strolls in and they have a conversation with no dialogue tags so I can't be bothered to keep track of who's speaking. Anyway.

SO.

It should be noted, if you're not aware, that Jonathan Michaels is the professional FEATHERWEIGHT BOXING CHAMPION OF THE ENTIRE WORLD. Apparently he was just dang good at boxing, because all that's basically given is that he started boxing when he was seven, had a rough first year after going pro (as I imagine most 14-year-olds would) and then turned it around an won the championship on his sixteenth birthday. He immediately celebrated with a three-month long drug binge so his parents made him go to public school. It's said he's a "former" champion in the bio, but there's no mention of him losing or getting stripped of the title and later in the bio it says he still has it. That bugs me a bit. That's also pretty much the entire bio so him being the drug-addled boxing champion of the world is all we're gonna get.

SO ON-ISLAND

It takes all of two sentences before Jonathan is reminiscing about all the blowjobs he's gotten. This is also a songpost set to the Red Hot Chili Peppers, which saddens me. But.... OK Jonathan is thinking about his life and making the connection between getting fucked by a girl because everyone fucks you over in life and now he's on SOTF blah blah blah, and IT'S NOT TERRIBLE. Like, lame, but not bad. That italics flashback isn't bad.... and then it turns bad, into an endless thread of 200-word run-on sentences that are meant to be poetic or whatever. Chad something comes up to Jonathan and screeches about how he needs an ally to find a girl. Jonathan tells him to fuck off, so Chad calls the boxing champion of the world gay. Jonathan gets up and goes into a massive rambling monologue broken by spurts of Chad crying, pleading, revelling in Jonathan's badassness, and pissing his pants, until they stare at each other for five minutes and Jonathan shoves his entire shotgun down Chad's throat and blows his head off. That... was pretty terrible. Oh and then Jonathan cries at the pathos of what fate has brought his way or whatever.

An Linh Tran comes by and tackles him, so Jonathan starts thinking about sex he might have had with her in the past and "9 inches of Jonathan Michaels poking her in the eye". WELP. She also gets the better of him during the fight for a bit, which says some very sad things about the state of boxing these days. She later dodges his punches. You're kind of a shitty boxer, Jonathan. Then they both run to open their bags and his zipper gets stuck so An Lihn hits him in the face with brass knuckles, and he runs away, not bothering to shoot her because reasons.

THE FEATHERWEIGHT BOXING CHAMPION OF THE WORLD, PEOPLE.

In his next thread he muses over how the shitstorm that just went down was a "PR Disaster" (yep) and self-loathes a bit. OK, I like that Jonathan is a self-loathing guy. It helps a bit that he's always musing on how deep down he hates himself, and while I wouldn't say it makes him relatable, it's better than nothing.

But forget anything with potential happening because here comes another same-handler-handled character for a dumb death. Brad Wilson comes by and says in like two sentences "HELLO angry person! Why not have some water I give you? Nothing suspicious here!" so Jonathan starts slurping it down while unloading a bit on how fucked up he is. Fine. BUT NO, Brad had deviously put LSD in the water so as to turn Jonathan into his enslaved minion, or something.

That does not work. Instead Jonathan hallucinates random things and screams "BEGONE FOUL HYDRA" before ripping Brad's clothes and face parts off with his bare hands and also blowing his head off with the shotgun. Then Jonathan is fine again and moves on. So will I.

He has some pleasant memories about "orgies with Czech supermodels" when he was 15 and rambles on about v1 and nothing in particular. About like six people come by but all Jonathan cares about is Whitney Acosta (whom he doesn't even know but she's the most important and Chad had mentioned her). Some people recognize him from whatever homeroom, but no one seems to notice or care that he's a multiple-killer or also THE BOXING CHAMPION OF THE ENTIRE WORLD. Whitney leaves and then a couple other people come and leave and everyone leaves. Glad to see these kind of pointless threads aren't a recent invention at least! Jonathan has another pointless RHCP songpost about all the gazillions of sex he'd had on the beach in Miami or whatever.

He immediately moves into a new thread with fucking Blind Melon songposting AAAAAARHG. He's showing some signs of cracking up by screaming to himself about An Lihn, we'll see if that goes anywhere. Four hundred pound Rupert Stockton watches this, does seem to recognize him as the boxing champ, and insults his penis size. Jonathan starts to reply, but then the announcement comes on. The first announcement.

ALL THIS HAPPENED ON THE FIRST DAY?!

So Jonathan is terrified at being announced as a killer, which completely goes against what I've seen of his character, and runs off. He meets ANOTHER Chad-handled character in Chris Cohen. They fight and apparently have some backstory about Jonathan... I don't even know. Chris and his wife (?!) were at a concert and Jonathan apparently ripped off a girl's clothes and left her there naked? So they start idiotically monologuing at each other during the fight and then it degenerates into them just getting into some philosophical argument that they decide to solve with rock paper scissors. Jonathan loses and cries while honorably giving Chris the shotgun to kill him. Chris runs away instead of shooting. But then Chris turns around and shoots Jonathan in the back from fifty yards away anyway. This gives Jonathan a barrage of shrapnel that the narrative helpfully tells us is badly at risk for infection, so Jonathan then decides he needs an ally.

His final thread is a completely incomprehensible screed that's presented as an interview in the diary of 12-year-old Brandon Cuthbert (guess who handled him). The interview is utterly pointless and then Jonathan walks away and the 12-year-old child proceeds to effortlessly beat him up, then chokes him out with an X-Box controller and dissects him alive.

THE FEATHERWEIGHT BOXING CHAMPION OF THE WORLD, PEOPLE!

So yeah. Jonathan Michaels... I try to be a bit positive. And if you first of all forget the fucking world boxing champion stuff, and cut out all the idiocy about him sleeping with ten girls a week or whatever wannabe-edgy shit his handler loves to stuff in, there's a bit of a glimmer of what could have been. Jonathan has a few moments where he's truly this angry, self-loathing guy who can't help but tell people to fuck off and then lash out at them if they don't, and if THAT had been played up instead of, well, everything else, and if he'd had some actual relations and threads with people who WEREN'T also handled by Chad, maybe we could've had something. But instead you get what was above, and hey, that's V2

ANOTHER!

v6!

v5!

v4!

D/N
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Well, turns out I already sorta read Kyle Rizea, since he was the rando guy I mentioned Bryan Calvert killing in my Matty Drew review. Also turns out that Kyle RIZea is actually v2 Riz, as in based on the same guy v3 Riz was! Also this doesn't really "turn out" since this should be obvious to anyone, but the combination of "Riz", "born in Waterloo Ontario" and "weakness: women" means this is most certainly a Dan character. Not complaining there!

Speaking of women and Waterloo, Kyle's first thoughts: "Fuckin eh! My god damn head hurts. Both of them"

He then thinks about how much he hates Italian soccer players. He reads through the manual and in effect, decides that not killing folks is for pussies even if it's the smarter way and so why not go bloodily murder some folks? It starts raining though so he sensibly decides to instead look around with his binoculars until that stops.

Matty Drew and Rob (also handled by Dan) and Anna (inactive at this point) come in but don't do anything but follow from a distance. Calvert also arrives, and Kyle sees him and decides to sneak attack him and kill Bryan with his own shotgun, owing to the fact that Kyle can't die because he'll soon be a millionaire soccer player. I'm guessing that won't work, Kyle. This scene has been handled with some decent suspense thus far, people converging on the industrial sector in the rain while a guy scopes them out and plans to ambush them. He hits Bryan with a half-brick and the others react to the sounds of sudden fighting, with Rob saying he'll check it out.

So Bryan rises towards Rizes, pissed now, and Kyle decides to take off. He tries to scrabble up a fire escape, but slips in the rain and Calvert comments on the dumbness of that before yanking Kyle down, giving him a headbutt, and beating his face in in a rage. THE END.

Hey. For a one-thread v2-era wonder, you can't ask for too much more than that. Yes, Kyle has no character, decides to be a player for no reason, and turns out pure fodder for Bryan. It's all competently written and no one gets their genitals bitten off. I don't complain.

One more.
v6!

v5!

v4!

D/N
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Alright let's knock this out with Harry Constantine!

Harry hunches over like a bird, has ADHD, his mother died of AIDS from a contaminated needle, wants to be a Buddhist Monk, and is a master of Northern Long Arm Kung Fu and Choy Li Fat Drunken Boxing. He's also on the swim team, a social mid-ranker, and enjoys Magic the Gathering. That's all fine for v2, so moving on!

No pre-game. On-island, he wakes up, decides he'll never kill, kills a mosquito offhandedly which makes me chuckle a bit, and curses Danya and the sky before walking off.

He arrives into a fight, of course. Or the aftermath of one. Bryan Calvert's the only one left. Harry wonders why the hell everyone's fighting each other while the terrorists are the real villains.

Harry, as Rugga has said plenty of times in chat.... you're going to find out very quickly that you're in the wrong version, my friend.

So Harry tells Bryan to drop his shotty, that doesn't work and he takes cover behind a dumpster while trying to sell Bryan on the benefits of teaming up to escape. Bryan ain't hearing it. They have a standoff while keeping cover and I like how Harry is believably nervous and freaked out while trying to put up a brave front and also getting pissy that Bryan's not listening to reason. Bryan ends up taking off.
Quote:

o be entirely honest, Harry was a little angry that the whole episode. Maybe if he'd handled it better, Harry and Mr. Sunshine would have been allies. Then again, Mr Sunshine seemed to be a tad on the psychotic side.

You're not bad, Harry.

He comes across Caitlin Evans poking a corpse and is suitably disgusted at what's going on and the whole damn situation. So he leaves, and that was definitely a pointless thread but we get to have Harry at least use this brief situation to reconfirm his desire to actually band together a group of non-players and try to escape.

Caitlin proceeds to spontaneously combust. Sigh.

Harry moves along and predates The Belko Experiment by a decade by wondering why Danya didn't pick an office building. Endless_Helix outta sue. He sees Mary-Anne Robinson by the river, greets her poorly, and she freaks out with a lot of overwritten reactions, but all she actually says is "You gonna shoot me huh?" and Harry goes into an out-of-nowhere rant about her and everything before pointing his gun at her. That... I like Harry and understand he's stressed but that doesn't work for me. She charges at him, he is distracted by her cleavage (DAMNIT V2) but manages to shoot her in the stomach. And... OK despite that there is a long loooooong drawn-out fight scene that I'm not going to fully transcribe except to note the following:
- Harry accidentally grabs her boob (DAMNIT AGAIN V2)
- In all the teeming multitudes of songposts from v1-v4 I've come across, Harry's Offspring songpost in the middle of the fight might be the most pointless one yet
- Harry does note how much this sucks and how the game's gotten to him and he's not really better than anyone else, and that's still good.

Finally Harry shoots her, buries her, and angsts a lot about what he's done. So a brief note about this... Harry and his actual conscience is absolutely a breath of fresh air, but him getting this kill doesn't go down right. Maybe it's just too soon for his character. More likely it's that he instigated the whole fucking thing with his ranting and screaming and threatening first, which made no sense for him to be doing in the first place. It read as an artificial way for him to score a kill and get some character development in, but it's over and done with now and we'll see where Harry goes from here.

He walks through the forest, sad about his kill and contemplating what it might be like to head to the cliffs and end it all, where a girl named Lani is throwing a knife at a tree. They converse and she is way artificially articulate for my liking, and Harry is tired from not having slept. Hey, realism! After some chit-chat Lani goes inactive for a bit so we rush to the announcement and Harry takes off. Lani's handler comes back just in time... to have her collar detonate and kill her anyway. Sigh again. That was pointless but not too bad. Harry is sad and that's rare enough for v2 that I can't help but respect him.

To the lighthouse! Maggie Heartgreeder, Blake Ross, and oh boy Garry Dodd open up the thread. Maggie's barricaded herself inside. Blake smashes the barricade down for no real reason. Garry lurks. Harry sees Blake and thinks he's dumb. Maggie tends to Blake (why barricade in the first place if you're gonna be nice to the guy who breaks through it?) while Harry runs into Garry and his knife, who plots to maybe kill Harry and everyone but instead invites him in because he wants to keep low-key. This isn't a bad scene, really. Blake's got a dislocated shoulder from his dumb smashing and Harry enters the lighthouse both wary and concerned, which fits for his character. None of these four really trust each other and it's kind of a slow-burn thing that we haven't seen much in v2. They pop Blake's arm back into place...

or rather Harry doesn't because he's gone inactive and disappears. Like, doesn't even have an exit post from the thread. Zilya Mercharrsiov shows up and everyone eventually leaves with no more mention of Harry.

AAAAAAAAAATRHGH

So that sucked.

Harry's picked up by Cyco and enters Bryan and Tori's scene after Bryan picks up his BKA from terrorist principal Steven Wilson. Not a good sign for Harry's long-term prospects, that. He at least stays somewhat recognizable, and I can understand him reflexively shooting at Bryan given his earlier encounter and the latent guilt he's been feeling about everything, even it's an obvious way for Harry to be the instigator in the fight that'll lead to his demise.

They both shoot at each other and take cover behind rocks in the shallow water and call out some insults. Eventually Bryan and Tori go underwater when Harry comes around their rock, only for Bryan to pop up all Schwarzenegger-style and shoot Harry dead. It's not the best and not the worst fight scene you'll read in v2 or SOTF.

So overall, yeah I do recommend Harry just for the sheer uniqueness of an actual kid who wants to be heroic and escape in v2. Not everything works, that's for damn sure. But he's competently written the whole way through and has an arc, even if his inactiveness just when I was liking a scene was deadly frustrating, and his death turned him into fodder a bit more than he deserved. But that's the breaks.

v6!

v5!

v4!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply