Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The V2 Read-o-thon; Olden days
Topic Started: Aug 24 2017, 06:45 PM (8,974 Views)
Kermit
Member Avatar
eEeEEEeEEEeeEeeeee
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Yay Marvin! I have fond memories of him. Letís hope Iím not still delusional from that last readthrough.

Marvinís hobbies include tennis, debate club, and being a member of the young Republicans. His hobbies are normal and I like that (Though ends up being a negative stereotype of conservatives BUT THATíS FOR LATER). His physical appearance is also normal. Heís what you would expect a 14-year-old private school student to look like. His bio is okay, barring some tonal stuff, but I mean like every V2 profile had tonal issues so thatís K. Like, itís pretty obvious he was designed as a dick who gets killed early on, but heís effective at being a dick who gets killed early on.

Iíve decided that I hate pregame now, but I can remember some stuff from Marvinís so thatís ok. Heís pretty much characterized as a meanieface magoo whoís one of Reneeís goons, and also he doesnít like his brother that much. Itís pretty good for a V2 pregame, I guess. Thereís definitely some wacky stuff that happens, but none of it is Marvinís fault. Heís established as a meany, and itís established solidly. Heís a stereotypical republican, too, which is something V2 had a lot of *coughAnthonyAinsworthcough*.

Marvinís first island thread is basically just Damien being sad and then Marvin popping up and mugs him. Itís nothing special and itís really fucking long (especially for a oneshot), but itís not terrible or anything. Marvin pretty much becomes the worst person ever and Damien does...something. A personal highlight of the thread is that LaZ punctuates the thread with Damienís blood pressure, even though he had no idea how blood pressure worked. As a result, if this was real life, Damien would have died so many fucking times what the fuck he had like ten heart attacks. Staff pls nerf Damien he too strong.

threaaaaad 2: Marvinís thoughts are in green, and he gets a ďBOY#SOMETHING:LASTNAME, FIRSTNAME: ALIVEĒ tag which i h888888888888888888. I feel like thereís been a sharp drop in quality, even from the last thread. Marvin has weird thoughts like ďMarvin is in the hizzouseĒ, which are kinda turning me off the character tbh. Uh, so anyways, Franco (one of Marvinís pals) is being all fake-gentlemanly to Anna Dibbidenwhateveri. LaZ keeps interrupting Marvinís posts with OOC shit and itís really taking me out of it. Oh and Paris Persphone is also here but then he leaves so I guess heís not. And then everyone else leaves. well ok.

last thread! I donít at all understand what is going on in this thread, but somehow Marvin ends up shirtless under his sweatervest, Paris steals Anna, and then Franco splodes Marvin. I honestly donít understand. Also Russ Gofis shows up, and heís a real handful.

Conclusion: Well, bluh...I guess I was delusional after all. Marvinís, well, heís certainly something. He was made as a character to propel Damien along his trajectory of eventual murderdom, and that was about it. Heís not particularly deep as a character and just felt kind of...empty, I guess. Marvin was mediocre.

i want more kids give me more kids oogah boogah oogah boogah
"Kermit you are the guy in the horror movie that finds a book bound in human skin and decides to read out loud what is inside for fun" - some mean lady named Ruggahissy

i make art i think????

Sadly kermit looked at a mariavel. It was so sad... such a sad mariavel... like him... he only waned a normal life... was that too much to ask? was it?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Fenris
Member Avatar
head shot (drank)
[ *  *  *  * ]
kids who die quickly are my favorite kind of kid please don't quote this out of context

Okay so Nessy. Her profile doesn't have Giant Red Flags of the "has killed before" variety but it does have lines like "Basically, if you were to look up 'Loner' in the dictionary, you'd see her picture. (trust me, it wouldn't be pretty either.)" which doesn't set me up with high expectations. No pregame, so straight into her first thread, which is a oneshot named... Nessy Guthrie. Okay. And it's not good either; the writing is really in need of proofreading and also Nessy has a voice in her head telling her that she's worthless and that it "can help" which: please don't. At least she has some personality, even if that personality is basically feeling sorry for herself.

Second thread: (skips past Paris Persphone's posts at Top Speed) Nessy doesn't have a voice in her head now thank god. She finds a house, which reminds her of home, which makes her think about her mother, in a way that's kind of manipulative-feeling and ineffective. WAIT I LIED THERE'S A VOICE IN HER HEAD AGAIN. The voice is telling her that she's fat. Thanks, voice. Paris kills someone, I don't read it because I don't care, Nessy hears but doesn't actually see anything and the voice in her head continues to tell her she sucks until the fighting stops and she sneaks out. Basically all I've gotten from her personality is that she hates herself and has a voice in her head that tells her so constantly.

Third/last thread: Now the voice in her head is in red type and I'm already dreading reading any of this. Also the voice is named Vanessa apparently, which is Nessy's real name, which means something probably. I don't know I really hate this cliche a Lot. I don't mind when it's just someone having an internal mono/dialogue but when the separate voice has a name and it's own personality whether or not it's Intended to be schizophrenia it just feels like a half-assed attempt at schizophrenia. ANYWAY wait shit not anyway """Vanessa""" is taking over Nessy. She's saying stuff in red now. I hate this so much. She yells about how religion is bullshit until a religious kid shoots her and apparently """Vanessa""" dies and Nessy feels "whole" and are you Kiriyama now or nevermind whatever she has dying thoughts about being set free and how she feels beautiful now and then she's dead.

final thoughts/tl;dr: Nessy's far from the worst thing in v2 but there's nothing here worth reading especially if you're like me and you can't stand the evil-voice-in-my-head cliche.

I know I'm tempting fate but: one more.
"Well, Fenris, the King of Gossip. We meet again."
v7 kids

the future

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Kermit: Jana Brown
things

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Fenris: Zilya Merchenkov
things

Randomness
Member Avatar
Is in some state of existence
[ *  *  *  * ]
I quite like Blake, but he suffers from several flaws that detract from his character.

The opening thread works through strong and realistic thought processes. He's bright, but also flawed, and he shows that very quickly when his idea of taping a bible to his chest to act as padding is quickly shown to simply be an annoyance rather than a great idea.

His thought processes are interesting, sometimes thinking about what the game means more than his personal affairs, we occasionally get a little bit too much of the intelligent atheist archetype seeping through in the early writing, but for the most part he makes it work.

It's helped that he interacts with a lot of quality writing in his threads, his kill of Gregory is brutal, his reaction to the utterly hilarious (probably not intentionally) Stacy is nuanced, and his interactions with himself with Franco are played well enough that it doesn't seem off putting.

There's some of that unalienable wierdness that suffuses v2, though some only seem odd due to being retconned away.

Blake hits some problems starting in the middle, with a few slow threads. There's an interesting scene featuring three of Nealosi's characters, but the setup is somewhat muddled, and would probably flow better with a few breaks.

The writing remains engaging, but writing with himself for extended periods of time feel very out of place, and the lack of strong interactions with characters that aren't Franco put a damper on what could be strong writing.

It's unfortunate that he went inactive at the end, but overall Blake is a decent character with a strong voice who was marred by certain narrative choices.

New kid please.
"I have the heart of a young boy. I keep it in a jar on my desk" -- Stephen King

Those no longer with us

It's the Grand Map of Doom! v6

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Random: Ali Grayston
things

Fenris
Member Avatar
head shot (drank)
[ *  *  *  * ]
god this is one of the victims of the mitsuko massacre of 2006-2007 isn't she. RIP you beautiful bastards

Okay so Zilya. Her profile feels more like a later-version profile in terms of length and depth of content, if not in tone. She's an exchange student who moved from Russia to England and attends school in Canada and then takes part in a program for Canadian students to go to school in the US which would bother me a lot more if this wasn't v2. Fight the real enemy. She's smart but kind of a loner and has issues with her temper. Duly noted. No pregame again.

First thread: Huy is here can I just read him instead no okay. Anyway Zilya shows up at the end of the thread for one very short post and then leaves again. That very short post isn't horrible and doesn't feature Zilya flying off the handle or anything but it doesn't exactly showcase her personality either. Her second thread again she turns up toward the end for only two posts, and honestly versus what I was expecting she isn't that bad? Her posts are short and don't show a huge amount of personality, but at least she's acting rationally despite clearly being irritable. She decides not to follow any of the people she ran into for fear it would make her look weak, which... isn't rational, but it's not totally unreasonable either?

Thread #3 is one I already read, since it's part of the Sera Wingfield Saga, and I literally don't remember Zilya being in it, probably because she pops in for one post and pops out in the next, again. Thread #4 she suddenly runs into a very fresh corpse and her crying killer, who she feels bad for and also she says a prayer? Which feels a bit out of place since being religious isn't really a Thing with her. Then the guy leaves and idk I'm trying to find good things to say here but most of Zilya's posts are purely functional so there's nothing to really say at all.

Last thread. What the fuck. I'm not gonna bother saying anything just like. What the fuck.

final thoughts/tl;dr: not nearly as bad as I was expecting but still pretty bad? Like for a couple of posts back up in the second thread I thought she was looking okay but her posts just got less personal and more utilitarian and she just never makes any friends or relates to anyone in any way and then gets basically atomized. So like not the worst thing ever but definitely nothing here to recommend.

I probably won't get around to it Tonight but gimme another anyway.
v7 kids

the future

Polibyss
Member Avatar
You like what you see?
[ *  *  * ]
I clearly have nothing better to do at 1 AM, roll me one please.
V7

D/N
Member Avatar
Guy Maddin's favorite A.D.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Sooo... thoughts on Matty Drew. He's good. Very much decent all the way through, because he's got a consistency to him in that he's in a stable enough storyline. For the most part.

So Matt's bio is fine for earlier standards. He's a stoner and likes sex. Yes, he also gets arrested every week but eh. Stick with the basics. So Matt, handled by baby_g, immediately wakes up and starts his (I presume) pre-planned island buddy comedy with Rob Adams, handled by the venerable Dan. So Matt is all like "let's have drugs and sex" and Rob is all like "whoa I am the slightly straighter arrow in the duo" and then Matt would be like "lol straight" and you get the idea. So the two of them go off.

And then Matt meets a recurring theme, in a seductive harlot appears to tempt him into sexytimes and he's all like "YES SEX" and Rob is all like "NO YOU MORON." I prepared for the worst.... and then Matt suddenly realizes as the girl is damn near mounting him that maybe some girl on death island blatantly trying to seduce him is a trap AND SO HE STOPS. I was.... fucking amazed, people. Intelligently making the right decision? Out of nowhere like that. Well, well done.

Matt and Rob go on and continue with their awkward buddy comedy banter, and it's kind of like watching two college-aged writers who are still learning write about what people found funny 10 years ago... which is exactly what it was. Which means lots of dialogue along the lines of "Hey Matt, keep your dick in your pants while I look around, haha!" "Yeah, I bet you want my dick BECAUSE YOU'RE GAY Rob, haha!" "Haha I love you bro!" You get the idea. It's not bad at all. Just a bit thin.

So they meet up with another girl named Anna who is a breath of Christian normalcy fresh air in all this stuff and she's too pure for Matt to possibly corrupt and I was looking forward to what happened next. Calvert comes in for a quick cameo to kill a guy while Rob watches and Matt and Anna stay back and it's really well done. Unfortunately Anna had already gone inactive at this point and so when Matt and Rob move on she... suddenly goes crazy and lets her collar detonate. Disappointing. Rob and Matt go to the hospital and get stoned and Matt scores a kill on a guy for attacking him and then eats some bread and forgets about it. Deaths and kills were reeeeeeallly glossed over in V2, I be finding. Seductive harlot #2 and some other guy show up and Matt and Rob wisely don't trust them both and split away from them for the night. That was good. But Rob's desire for ladysex gets the best of him and he goes to visit the harlot but she gives him a case of the ol' blue balls, and then Rob gets pissed at Matt and hits him in the balls himself and they sneak off from the harlot in the morning. It's better than I'm making it sound, trust me.

So they go back to pay their respects to Anna and while Rob's doing that seductive harlot #3 shows up and starts making out with Matt before Rob punches him in the face and eventually gets in a fight with the girl and kills her. Matty boy, you're losing me a bit here. They head to the river and drag away a girl named Stephanie in a scene that reads kinda weird, especially since in the next thread the three of them are acting like they've been together for days now. Matt and Stephanie don't like each other, and then Stephanie goes nutso on another girl and kills her and Matt gives Rob the option of him or her. Rob chooses his best buddy Matt so Stephanie kills herself and Matt makes more jokes. Yeah, this has gotten more sexist a read than it probably should have at this point. They decide to look for one of Rob's hockey buddies who will know how to escape. Sure.

Next thread they come across Kevin, Sera and Jana, and Kevin knocks Rob out and challenges Matt to fight him. Matt has a gun and could just shoot him but accepts. That's dumb, Matt. Kevin sweetens the deal by offering Matt sex with Sera if he wins the fight. Sera is cool with that. Graaah. Kevin is about to win but Rob wakes up and shoots him. Ahahahaha. I did like that. Sera and Jana are surprisingly chill with all this and agree to team up... and Rob sees some other guy he knows in the distance and walks off and disappears, never to be seen with Matt again.

GODDAMNIT. Really. That was a tremendously disappointing way to end the awkward buddy comedy team of v2 like that. Like.... it was fine. It worked! And then Rob walks off. Uggggh. Really leaves a sour taste in your mouth.

So Matt continues on with Sera and Jana. He kills another girl after acting like a total jackass and Jana fights with him and Sera and leaves. That leaves Matt alone with Sera, who promptly shows herself to be seductive harlot #4. And Matt finally gets his sex! Then he falls asleep and she shoots him.

That wasn't bad at all. Matt works, for the most part, given all the obvious disclaimers about being v2. He was a bit all over the place with his motivation, going from the unflappable likeable stoner to the misogynistic jackass, but you could see a fully developed character there. Good work.

Gimme another
v6!
G058: Kaitlyn Greene aka Katy Buried - Horse Tranquilizer and Syringe
She Knew She'd Found Freedom - Questions - Fools - Barons - Opportunities - Sideshows - Dawns - Gulches

v5!
G038: Deanna Hull - Replica Freddy Glove - DECEASED
From Sea to Sky -Smoke--Sun--Tiki--Nine--Repeat--Talk--Now--Drift--Hunger--Valley--Fall--Rust--Paper--Heart--Sky-
B023: Jesse Jennings - Riz Action Figure - DECEASED
From Vision to Glory -Vision--Summon--Time--Plan--Length--Sleep--Cause-

v4!
B006: Ricky Fortino - Trowel - DECEASED
B022: Imraan Al-Hariq - Remington 870 - DECEASED
G036: Carly Jean Dooley - VASE D: - DECEASED
G077: Andrea Raymer - Gunpowder - ?????

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Last "kids" of the "night"

Polybius: Gregory Moyer
Fenris: Anthony Ainsworth

things

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I "lied"
DN: Satoru Kamui
things

Fenris
Member Avatar
head shot (drank)
[ *  *  *  * ]
okay i SAID i wouldn't do another tonight but this is an easy one

So according to his profile Anthony Ainsworth loves Jesus and is also the biggest bigot ever and is also an Aryan wet dream. Lovely. No pregame, so to the first thread, where he immediately decides his being here is a mistake and that he's going to find Danya and tell him that he's made a mistake and then it'll be fine. Also he ends his first post with "forgive me, Father, for I will sin" which is the second funniest thing I've read so far. He runs into Stacy Holorson and calls her a slut and a whore in his internal monologue three times in the same post and basically thinks about how worthless she is and how great he is and it's all really a lot. Like he's an obvious villain drawn up from the beginning for people to hate him and he kind of fails at that by being way too obvious about it. There isn't a single thought in his head that isn't Obviously Evil. Also after being polite to her for the first few posts he suddenly calls Stacy a filthy heathen whore with hands of death. Sure why not.

Second/last thread. Now Anthony decides he's been put on SotF to show the home audience the Power of Jesus. There's an announcement and he starts praying for the dead despite in the last thread having clearly shown contempt for literally everyone else on the island. He runs into someone else and is being super nice to him and it's weird? I guess we're suppose to think that since Anthony had a Jesus Epiphany he's a nice guy now, or maybe only women are filthy heathen whores, idk. Also the words "caucasionally challenged" happen which take the 2nd place spot back for funniest thing I've read in v2. Anyway some other guy is here now and Anthony thinks he's Satan and does an exorcism or something? And then one of Mitsuko's girls comes in and unceremoniously smashes his head in.

final thoughts/tl;dr: literally nothing here worth reading. except the words "caucasionally challenged", which you just read, so I saved you some time.

throw me another corpse tomorrow/whenever you have time I have nothing better to do apparently
v7 kids

the future

Yugikun
Member Avatar
maybe if you're lucky the random avatar will sync up to the character you're reading right now
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I wouldn't really say Walter is a good character, in all honesty. Despite the profile being sorta funny in how much it tries to set up Walter as like, this edgy evil figure, this doesnít really apply in the game itself and in all honesty heís just sorta boring for the most part. Heís psychotic, but not in a way thatís really interesting, as instead of letting this show through his thought processes or emotional core weíre just constantly told by the narrative that heís psychotic over and over again, and his actions (going into great detail on how he cuts a dudes dick off, raping Mariavel) are pretty clearly aiming for shock value and setting him up to be like, the big villain of V2 - but robbing him of a proper emotional core that a villain really needs to be seen as interesting and more than a one note psycho who does things just because theyíre seen as bad things to do by the writer.

Walter also suffers mechanically as well, and on a pure writing levels thereís a couple things he does that just irk me as a reader. During fight scenes with other handlers - such as with Blake and Mariavel - thereís this thing Walter does where he goes into hypotheticals on what happens depending on which actions succeed or not, which reeks of GMing and as a reader takes me right out of whatís happening in front of me. In addition, his narrative is loaded with contradictions, stating one thing and then shortly after saying something that contradicts this (an example being ďMost could not tell from a simple glance, but the boy was a total psychopath. Almost everyone knew of that fact, and his random outbursts of violence,Ē stating a fact and then contradicting it the very next sentence), which as a reader confuses me and makes it harder to understand what the narrative is trying to say, which given the issues with the narriative already doesnít make it any more interesting or pleasent to read.

I will say that Slayer/TBH has written good characters before, but to be honest Walter is far from one of them, and to be honest isnít someone Iíd really recommend at all.

Gimme another, barkeep.
In a V7 near you!
Coming to a V7 near you!
The Past

Hi! I have a blog! Please check it out and follow and stuff!

Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Espi
Member Avatar
Beep Beep
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So I guess I'll take another even though I'm pretty sure parts of V2 contain memetic triggers that induce insanity in the readers judging by chat so far.
V5: Cut Short

V6: Broken Down

V7: Unprepared

Polibyss
Member Avatar
You like what you see?
[ *  *  * ]
Gregory Moyer has only three threads. The first thread is just an intro oneshot, the second thread is just him sneaking in while a group is on their way out and then leaving in the next post, and the third thread is his death scene. So yeah, he's fodder. He is delightful, though.

He's a completely ridiculous character. He's a Macguyver-like genius inventor who's a fan of SOTF while also thinking that it's a secret Nazi conspiracy. His goal is to use his genius to determine the island's location, and hopefully use that knowledge to help rescue everyone and defeat the Nazis. He mostly comes off as fun insane rather than eye-rolling insane. On top of that, his handler does a good job at keeping him relatively grounded compared to most of the loonies from early SOTF. He's constantly thinking back to his family, and while it's simple it does a good job at humanizing him.

His death in particular is very engaging and tragic. Both handlers do a good job at writing the scene. The circumstances that lead to his death are kind of absurd, but completely in-character.

I recommend him for a quick read.
V7

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply