Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Survival of the Fittest, a RPing board loosely based off of Koshun Takami's Battle Royale, with its own unique plot and spin on the 'deadly game'. We've been around quite a while, and are now in our thirteenth year, so don't worry about us going anywhere any time soon!

If you're a newcomer and interested in joining, then please make sure you check out the rules. You may also want to read the FAQ, introduce yourself and stop by the chat to meet some of our members. If you're still not quite sure where to start, then we have a great New Member's Guide with a lot of useful information about getting going. Don't hesitate to PM a member of staff (they have purple usernames) if you have any questions about SOTF and how to get started!

Let the games begin!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The V2 Read-o-thon; Olden days
Topic Started: Aug 24 2017, 06:45 PM (7,600 Views)
ODB
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
Ok, Dodd the lesser, let's see whatcha got.

Profile: Tech nerd martial artist? Oh Garry, I knew you were The One. 6’7”, black hair and trenchcoat, big badass scar on his face, and walks with a cane. Boy, takes me right back to highschool. His right arm was reconstructed for reasons I don't see anywhere in here, so maybe they're explained later? Same deal with the leg. Ok, so I'm gonna guess train accident because that sounds saucy. Anyway, he enjoys crafting weapons like any kid who has no idea they're about to be assigned one at random so he built a taser into his cane. Just in case. Of course he's killed before, haven't you? Double blackbelt, pretty standard stuff here...super strong...genius...I remember when this character got approved. It might just be the reason I drink.

Pregame: We begin with Garry bumping into someone, calling them a jerk, and kicking them in the dick. He in fact kicks them so hard they are never named or heard from again. He then brutally assaults Paris Persephone, which is great because Paris is awful, but it's not doing much to suspend my disbelief and it's followed immediately by an admin post explaining godmoding. Unfortunately, Garry has already limped away to his next thread and will not get the memo.

He goes home to a house he purchased after winning the lottery with the first ticket he ever bought. Right before he was shot five times. I love this. Was he struck by lightning too? Then he visits his storage shed and grabs a desert eagle because apparently his rocket launcher is in the shop.

Garry then visits Paris in the hospital, or rather he already did? We are treated to an accidental flashback of Paris throwing things at Garry. Pity none of it hits him. He feels bad right up until he leaves the room where he is suddenly amused. Well shit, I've been amused this whole time!

He then barges into a scene of Brendan Snipes hiring a private dick at the hotel and decides to be a public dick about it. Garry has now apparently tapped this guy's phone out of nowhere. Another OOC post appears and is ignored.

Finally, Garry goes to the cafeteria where he thinks about wading through shit. You and me both, dude. You and me both.

V2: Garry wakes up in a tree and falls out of it for comic relief purposes. He finds his weapon--a tactical knife--and doubts it will be useful because he is handicapped (despite beating Paris senseless in pregame). His taser cane is stuck in the tree so he shakes the tree and the cane comes down no problem. Tension eliminated! Then he trips on a root and thinks it's the body of the bank robber he killed in his profile. Sylvea Hill wanders by and declares she is not playing, prompting Garry to wonder if she has a gun because he has apparently read her profile. He concludes he will not kill her for said gun that he doesn't know she has because it is an instrument of murder (despite crafting weapons and owning a fucking desert eagle beforehand). Also he knows all about how the collars work, but that may have been covered in the prologue so fuck it, why not. He mentions that his cane has been tampered with and only has one taser charge left, which I assume is because the admins realized their enormous mistake and were attempting to nerf him a little. Anyway, Lester Treskington (played by the same handler) is lurking nearby and attempts to ambush the two with his sais. A THIRD blackbelt of Garry's is mentioned as he effortlessly beats Lester and assails him with bewildering dialogue. Sylvea draws her gun as if there is any hope of her partaking in the action, but Garry tells her to put it away and insists Lester is coming with them for meat shield purposes. He then spends a paragraph talking about how he refuses to kill anyone before Lester insults him and he decides to kill him, ditching Sylvea without so much as a thought.

Garry pursues Lester down the expressway, ditching his cane for extra badass points. Lester is all, “you're an idiot,” to which Garry is like, “actually I’m a genius and you're gay.” This enrages Lester, who somehow blindsides Garry with a tree branch to the face. Garry falls down and gets “Mad World” stuck in his head for dramatic purposes before slicing off Lester's fingers with his knife. He then goes stab-happy on poor Lester and literally tears him in half, which is impressive, but I would've used his spine rip fatality instead. Drenched in blood, Garry calls out Danya (which feels akin to Hulk Hogan being called out by The Blue Meanie) and heads off convinced that NOW he is a killer and there's no going back.

He wanders into the residential area where he dwells on Fodd--I mean Lester's death for a moment, concluding that his actions were in self-defence. Lol wut. He enters a house to find Darren Oaklan and his arch-nemesis Paris, the latter of whom knocks him and Darren out with Christmas ornaments somehow. Paris kills Darren and leaves Garry alive for no reason. Then Derrin Istoli (same handler) falls through the roof. Garry is tased back to consciousness by his own cane, which explodes, as does my brain after reading that. Fortunately I am confident I won't need it to continue. I am immediately proven right as it turns out the taser HEALED Garry'S LEG. This is described by Garry as a miracle, but the real miracle here is that none of the staff seemed to notice. Garry invites Derrin to join him on his kooky bugshit adventures because reality is now broken so fuck it.

Garry's next thread is titled “A Scientist at Heart,” and I think I finally understand irony now. Anyway, he enters a chemical plant alone (guess Derrin declined his offer) and gathers hydrochloric/sulfuric acid in vials to make gas bombs. Good thing the terrorists left all this shit lying around for him to take advantage of. Garry decides to blow up the chemical plant just in case anyone else tries to cheat the island for weapons. Fortunately his miracle leg is now fit for running from explosions. Unfortunately there is no running from this bomb of a narrative.

Garry holes up in the hotel kitchen where he stitches his face wound up with dental floss. He is then bored. Taking inventory, he realizes that there are in fact THIRTY vials of chemicals in his pack, some of which are highly explosive. I'm shocked there isn't a potion of flight in there. Seth Malvice teleports in past the barricaded door and asks Garry about the chemical plant explosion. Before anything interesting can happen they are forced to flee the hotel as it is announced a danger zone.

Back on the expressway, Garry discovers that his arsenal of chemicals is not as safe as he initially thought when the falling rain combines with a vial of fulminic acid and blows him up. Here is where I breathed a sigh of relief and went to pop the champagne, but as it turns out he blasts himself off the ground like a fucking cartoon coyote, landing directly on top of Derrin Istoli. Garry magically no-sells being blown up and is totally fine, however Derrin is unconscious and nearly all of his bones are broken. Garry (being a supreme shitheel whenever he randomly feels like it) decides to inflict a series of knife wounds on Derrin to send a message to the other players. As opposed to killing him. Because Garry Dodd WILL NOT kill people. Except when he does. FML, anyway Derrin's alternate personality Jeff (you read that right) awakens and strikes Garry in the face, who no-sells and effortlessly backhands him on his ass before leaving. What a guy.

Garry heads to the lighthouse where Maggie Heartgreeder and Blake Ross have taken shelter. There is a quick mention of Garry's injuries but who honestly gives a shit at this point. Harry Constantine follows him in and slips on the wet floor, providing an opportunity for a quick coup de grâce, but Garry is feeling tired from exploding earlier so he calls a truce. Blake's shoulder is dislocated so Garry pops it back in for him. Then the storm lets up and everybody leaves. But me? I'm still here. *sigh*

Back in the residential area, Garry is considering brutal ways to murder Paris when he bumps into Licinia Vinici, whom he throws nonchalantly over a fence and begins questioning. Turns out Licinia is his half-sister, which he dramatically reveals with absolutely zero setup in his entire story. No sooner does this happen than Punkass Paris runs her through with a knife, prompting a brief and underwhelming fight between the mortal enemies. Paris slashes Garry's throat (which is no-sold obviously) and is about to press the attack again when he suddenly hallucinates and flees. Goddammit, Paris, you had one job. But hey, now Damien Carter-Madison is here with a colt anaconda...aaand he decides not to shoot him. Great. Garry decides he will kill Paris and then jump off a cliff for dramatic reasons. Damien decides to follow him because who knows, it's Damien. Oh yeah, and Garry sings “Imagine” XD.

Garry and Damien make their way to the hospital where they discover Paris has already died (womp womp). Garry (being a cunt) severs Paris’ head and fashions his skull into a trophy. Suddenly, Damien decides to shoot Garry after all! Hooray! Garry escapes to the cliffs for his (mercifully) final thread.

Garry makes it to the cliffs with Sailor Damien in hot pursuit. Damien shoots the fuck out of him and Garry gets up no less than four times. It is now revealed that Garry has been previously shot in the head, a fate I am envious of after reading his godawful story. Finally, he falls off the cliff, impaling himself upon a large rock. Just to drive home how impossibly badass he is, he survives long enough to reach up towards Damien. Then the “Imagine” lyrics pop up again to end this trainwreck on a comedic high note.

Conclusion: An absolute must-read for newcomers, Garry Dodd is a clinic on how not to write a character. Overpowered, unrealistic, and inconsistent to the point of satire, it is a wonder he was ever approved for play in the first place, much less flew under the admin radar so frequently in-game. I remember actively avoiding RPing anywhere near this character, simply because I knew I wouldn't have the patience for it. That said, it is still probably the best example of “so-bad-it's-good” you will ever come across while reading v2.

Thank you and goodnight.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MK Kilmarnock
Member Avatar
Hate, hate, HATE!!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
V6 Tributes

Spoilers, Ricky didn't win V5

Things We Say

I'm a Cactus
Member Avatar
do you want to go to war, balakay?
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Bryan, I love you. Have my children.
---
The Future

The Past

Meanwhile...

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
So you basically moved the entire chat (AS WELL AS OLIVER HIMSELF, FOR REAL) to tears.

MK Kilmarnock - Today at 10:10 PM
That was an amazing read.
The King of Gossip - Today at 10:10 PM
im so happy
Ruggahissy - Today at 10:10 PM
Ok I'm done
I loved it
The Hypebeast Saga - Today at 10:10 PM
CBP and Bryan can share the trophy

Oliver - Today at 10:12 PM
I literally can't this is beautiful
things

Shiola
Member Avatar
IDDQD
[ *  *  *  * ]
Sweet fuck. I don't think I've laughed and cringed simultaneously quite like that, ever. I can't work up the courage to read it myself, so thank you for that altogether horrifying summary. I was happy to have forgotten and now I can't re-forget. I'm so very sorry, everyone.
Edited by Shiola, Nov 15 2017, 01:16 AM.
V7:
Erika Stieglitz
Tyrell Lahti
Caroline Ford
Henry Sparks

TheLordOfAwesome
Member Avatar
Survivor
[ *  * ]
Right, I think we can all agree no one is going to top that. Everyone go home.
V7 Charcters

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Also because it appears that there is an endorsement from ODB, Garry will go on our V2 Recommended Reading List, but I'll have to make a note about him making the list for being the equivalent of Birdemic.
things

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
S U B S T I T U T I O N

is the name of the game

KEEP THE RHYTHM

keep the rhythm all the same

C O N C E N T R A T I O N

no repeats or hesitation

I’m taking Whitney Acosta
things

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hi everyone. I wrote the majority of this while I was in New Jersey, HOME OF V2.

Woman on the plane: Headed to New Jersey?
Me: Yeah, gotta visit my friend Paris.

Cool. LET'S GET THIS GOING

The Recap

Analysis/ Final thoughts: I'm not gonna give Whitney a recommendation. Not even on the strength of being in Endgame as an Endgamer. If you must, take Ricky and you'll get the gist of her.

She's dull. She feels lifeless and she has very little agency in this story. I get that she's supposed to be innocent and peaceful but she won't even raise a hand to save herself on several occasions. Add to that that she really doesn't care all that much about anyone around her, not even Ricky. I think I was sold this story of Whitney and Ricky as the great love story of V2 but they hardly even seem to like each other. Now, this would be ok as a plot. Having Ricky chase her and protect her as an excuse to do bad things (which he does kind of cop to) and her just taking advantage of this guy to make it far, each being selfish and using Ricky's feelings to advance their own goals. However, at the end Megami tries to play their romance straight. They spend half the endgame viciously attacking each other verbally and then they're all soft music and tragic suicides after Bryan shows up. Their story also gives this lip service to them being in love when they don't have that connection.

Compare and contrast to Tori and Bryan, our other long running couple with a boy protecting a girl: Tori and Bryan DID speak to each other and go on a date before the island. It's not much, but they at least have something. Ricky and Whitney say "Hi" once in a hall and that's IT. This attraction is purely based on them wanting to get it on because the other is hot. Which, fine. Tori and Bryan are both also initially attracted to each other based mainly (though not entirely!) on looks. When Tori and Bryan find each other they spend time talking about themselves, they tell jokes, they argue and then they make up. Ricky and Whitney hardly talk to each other during the island stay and they NEVER joke. Tori also takes on a more active role in the partnership and sacrifices for Bryan like he sacrifices for her. They fall in love over the course of the game. Ricky and Whitney could have also achieved that despite not talking before the game, but they don't. Why?

I think we've got a problem of same-handler here. Ricky and Whitney are both written by Megami and share posts. Whitney usually gets shafted in favor of Ricky getting the spotlight. Megami is so focused on writing Ricky that Whitney is shoved to the corner to stand and do nothing, and there's never given time to just sit around and talk. It might have been that she knew they were in love, so didn't feel that it was necessary to play it out. A second handler really could have helped here. As is, they have the chemistry of an old boot and a rock and they come across and sort of bad people. Sure, they didn't kill as much, but they are selfish and petty and in the case of Whitney, I was constantly forgetting she was even in scenes.

Positives: Whitney is cool as a character device in the endgame as an echo of Tori and she's the one with the greater connection to Mariavel since she saves Whitney in the first thread and kills her better romance partner Matthias. The writing is technically good. Don't read her though. Just do Ricky. He does more and has more going on, even if it's still a bad romance.

TWO STUDENTS REMAIN
things

Catche Jagger
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
I'll take one of those remaining two, if we're still doing this.
V7 Characters

Yugikun
Member Avatar
maybe if you're lucky the random avatar will sync up to the character you're reading right now
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Catche can take Felix.
In a V7 near you!
Coming to a V7 near you!
The Past

Posted Image

Ruggahissy
Member Avatar
i'm not upset
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Looks like this is your lucky day, Catche! I mean, depending on how you define "luck." Do not be consumed by darkness, good luck:

Catche: Felix Travertil
things

backslash
Member Avatar
And I am still hungry.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Prayer circle for Catche.
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
Characters

Others
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

TwelveFourtyFive
Winner
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Felix means luck.

Lucky!

Catche Jagger
Member Avatar
Cannon Fodder
[ * ]
Fear not, RAT! For I hath returned, with

Felix Tavertil

In the end, I cannot recommend reading Felix Tavertil. Even though things mostly improve as time goes on, Felix's pre-game and some of his early game antics (tricking the terrorists and finding a fully-stocked house) are virtually unbearable. In addition, he's an incredibly flat character, already being an amoral sociopath before the game even starts. It is somewhat entertaining to think about how he never really became the ruthless power-player that he was clearly intended to be, his internal narration remains flat and unchanging.

Even in his better moments, Felix is rarely the interesting perspective. Each of his best moments have their true focus on the other characters in them and would be best experienced by following their path, rather than Felix's

There are also quite a few typos during the period where Jotun is handling the character, which will be sure to irritate some.
Edited by Catche Jagger, Jan 4 2018, 08:26 PM.
V7 Characters

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Roleplaying Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply